Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Fulcrum

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Phil wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 01:43
Lol. Dream on. Helmut Marko recently said on ORF live television they dont want/need “a politician” in the car. Yeah. Not happening, Alonso.
Raikkonen then. I've heard he likes his Red Bull, 1 part RB, 2 parts vodka.

NathanOlder

Fernando would be perfect. He should be on the phone offering his services for free, and an apology letter to Honda.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

RedBull will pay big to keep Verstappen. That’s my guess. But sadly, i think Mercedes has a bit of a dilemna with Ocon. I think they will put him alongside Hamilton next year, even if Bottas performs. Unless they can put him in the second Williams. Either way, if i were RedBull, i’d be on the phone with Ocon. Use him as a gambling chip in the negotiations with Verstappen or simply put him in the second seat. If he beats Max, win/win. If they are equal and Max leaves RB later, they’d have a good driver.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

epo
epo

Phil wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 19:18
RedBull will pay big to keep Verstappen. That’s my guess. But sadly, i think Mercedes has a bit of a dilemna with Ocon. I think they will put him alongside Hamilton next year, even if Bottas performs. Unless they can put him in the second Williams. Either way, if i were RedBull, i’d be on the phone with Ocon. Use him as a gambling chip in the negotiations with Verstappen or simply put him in the second seat. If he beats Max, win/win. If they are equal and Max leaves RB later, they’d have a good driver.
Ocon and RB is never gonna happen unless Max leaves and I don't see him next to Hamilton also for the same reasons.
If they replace Bottas I would not be surprised to see Russell in, he's more of a teamplayer Ocon will ever be and also does impress in the Williams.

Phil

RedBull need a plan B. No doubt he is talking to Mercedes for beyond 2020. If that could happen, depends on Mercedes and Hamilton. But it’s all part of the negotiation game. Speaking to Ocon would be a smart play for RedBull. Ocon beat Max in a lower category after all and he needs/wants a seat. At the same time, it would be smart of Ocon to do that, to add pressure to Mercedes on Bottas’s seat.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jolle

Phil wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 19:44
RedBull need a plan B. No doubt he is talking to Mercedes for beyond 2020. If that could happen, depends on Mercedes and Hamilton. But it’s all part of the negotiation game. Speaking to Ocon would be a smart play for RedBull. Ocon beat Max in a lower category after all and he needs/wants a seat. At the same time, it would be smart of Ocon to do that, to add pressure to Mercedes on Bottas’s seat.
Although Ocon has beaten Verstappen over a season at his single seater debut, but Verstappen’s development curve is as steep as they get, you can’t compare him now with the kid who won F3 races in 2014.

roon

RB with a new engine supplier already have more race wins than a certain red colored works team with a works engine. And Verstappen has more points than Vettel. In an R&D mule. Can I take this data point and extrapolate from it? How good will RB-Honda be in the latter half of this year? How good will they be in 2020? Can this be the team to finally challenge Mercedes? If so, why would VER leave.

For that matter why would Ham go anywhere else. Unless there are rumors of change in Maranello or Place de la Concorde.

Phil

Because Mercedes will probably be hard to beat up to until at least 2020. Beyond, they are probably virtually guaranteed to be a top team. And because Mercedes, if they are smart, are considering multiple possibilities. What if Hamilton retires? Who will replace him? Who could replace him? Bottas, as good as he might be, IMO not. Ocon maybe, but for that, he needs to be in a competitive car in 2020. Russel is too young too and hasnt proven anything yet.

Max is a proven winner and undisputed talent. I may not like the kid, but he would be an ideal candidate for a team like Mercedes if they lose Hamilton

They’d be stupid if they wouldnt be talking about possibilities and options.
#Team44 supporter

Big Tea

Here is an 'out of a clear orange sky' one for us.

Too soon to put Albon in to the A team, it would damage his development, but who else is ready (Marco will not recall Danni K, he is not fond of that sort of Pie)

I know the technicalities of it would be difficult, but how about a half seasons swap with Grosjean? Yes, he has had a poor year, but he is capable of doing a good job, and a spell in his car would let us all analise Gasly as a comparison to his new team mate and also v RoGro's previous drives. If he looks worth keeping, bring him back next year, if not well... he had a shot and a re test.
The decision then would be bring in Albon or keep RoGro or a.n. other.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Phil

Would you go to RB if you know you’d only get a 1.5 year contract and be destroyed? That’s a career ending move waiting to happen just there.
#Team44 supporter

Big Tea

Phil wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 13:02
Would you go to RB if you know you’d only get a 1.5 year contract and be destroyed? That’s a career ending move waiting to happen just there.
You think he would get a drive where he is next year? :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GPR-A

roon wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 03:23
RB with a new engine supplier already have more race wins than a certain red colored works team with a works engine. And Verstappen has more points than Vettel. In an R&D mule. Can I take this data point and extrapolate from it? How good will RB-Honda be in the latter half of this year? How good will they be in 2020? Can this be the team to finally challenge Mercedes? If so, why would VER leave.

For that matter why would Ham go anywhere else. Unless there are rumors of change in Maranello or Place de la Concorde.
One lucky weekend under unusual circumstances and sky is the limit for imagination. I remember something similar in the aftermath of Malaysia 2015, where the talk was about Ferrari finally being the team that would beat Mercedes!

It's not long ago that RB was bargaining hard for the 2018 tyres as their car couldn't work with these new tyres. Minus the 60+ degrees that was witnessed last weekend, let's see how RB performs on other ambient temperatures.

How often is that Mercedes gets their cooling calculations wrong? Time will answer. How many times Ferrari gets their strategy wrong, like they did in Austria? Quite many, so beating Ferrari on odd weekends would be easy for RB.

epo
epo

GPR -A wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 16:14
roon wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 03:23

One lucky weekend under unusual circumstances and sky is the limit for imagination. I remember something similar in the aftermath of Malaysia 2015, where the talk was about Ferrari finally being the team that would beat Mercedes!

It's not long ago that RB was bargaining hard for the 2018 tyres as their car couldn't work with these new tyres. Minus the 60+ degrees that was witnessed last weekend, let's see how RB performs on other ambient temperatures.

How often is that Mercedes gets their cooling calculations wrong? Time will answer. How many times Ferrari gets their strategy wrong, like they did in Austria? Quite many, so beating Ferrari on odd weekends would be easy for RB.
For sure Mercedes will be the team to beat, but then again how many times now RB got stronger after a couple of races? I'm hoping this is the case again, and the new engine coming as early as in Spa also sounds promising.
And yeah the 2019 tires + the new front wing rules adjustment haven't been in RB favour, pretty sure if they had the same car as last year with the new tires it would have been much better. Everyone asked for those tires so they have to do with it. We'll see and hopefully more of these awesome races.

McMika98

Big Tea wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 12:38

Too soon to put Albon in to the A team, it would damage his development, but who else is ready

I know the technicalities of it would be difficult, but how about a half seasons swap with Grosjean? Yes, he has had a poor year, but he is capable of doing a good job, and a spell in his car would let us all analise Gasly as a comparison to his new team mate and also v RoGro's previous drives. If he looks worth keeping, bring him back next year, if not well... he had a shot and a re test.
Grojean is lucky to have his seat and is being outclassed KMag. He will not be in f1 next year. Kvyat is a better option although Albon might not be a bad one as i cant see him doing any worse. He is good enough to finish in top 6 which Gasly is struglling to do. Albon is as good if not better than Lando and with better car he should easily challenge the Ferrari if Max is out of the equation.

Jolle

McMika98 wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 21:40
Big Tea wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 12:38

Too soon to put Albon in to the A team, it would damage his development, but who else is ready

Grojean is lucky to have his seat and is being outclassed KMag. He will not be in f1 next year. Kvyat is a better option although Albon might not be a bad one as i cant see him doing any worse. He is good enough to finish in top 6 which Gasly is struglling to do. Albon is as good if not better than Lando and with better car he should easily challenge the Ferrari if Max is out of the equation.
Looking at Gasly's previous racing series (Renault 2.0 and GP2) it looks like he needs time to get to grips with the car, tires and stuff, what would suggest he needs a predictable car. Good chance the TR is/was build as a stable platform for having a good entry for drivers to come into F1 while the RB is much more on the edge. There are very few drivers who can maximise a car like that and we've seen many drivers struggle when they come across a car like this.