2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
sosic2121
sosic2121
13
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Post

Andres125sx wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am
sosic2121 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:46 pm
Andres125sx wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:37 pm


Not my case. Actually I´ve never understood Tilke critics. To me China, Malaysia, or specially Austin, are great tracks. Austin is one of my favourites right now with Suzuka and Spa :D
I like Bahrain and Malesiya.
But Sochi, Abu Dhabi, Mexico S3, Hockenheim and A1(compared to original circuits)? Huge run off areas?
What´s the problem with huge run-off areas?

Cars are faster each season, so they need bigger run-off areas. I don´t see what´s the point of keeping same size so cars crash with a barrier when out of control. I´m against full tarmac run-off areas because then they can use them for purposes wich are not the purpose of a run-off area (I´d add 2m wide grass just after the track, so if they go wide they´ll spin, or at least loose the line significantly, ie mistakes brings penalties), but the size only add safety, wich is good
I expressed myself wrong. I agree with you 100%.

With tarmac run offs there is no penalty for mistakes. IMO it gives ability to inferior drivers to drive at 100%(and above), and it harder for best drivers to shine.

Dazed1
Dazed1
0
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:53 pm

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Post

Dazed1 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:44 pm
NathanOlder wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:19 pm
Yeah, and max is going to be trying to pass them
What are the odds Max will finish the race? I am thinking 1 in 4.
I was wrong, Max performed very well on a difficult circuit to finish ninth. I am impressed and hopeful he will be "carefully aggressive" in the future. ;)

User avatar
NathanOlder
48
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Post

Very true, just out of interest who did he actually pass ?

The 2 Haas cars at the run to T1. Ericsson in to Mirabeau and Sainz in to the Nouvelle Chicane.

I think a lot of people look and assume he went from 20th to 9th so he must have had an amazing race.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle
Jolle
132
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Post

sosic2121 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:53 am
Andres125sx wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am
sosic2121 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:46 pm

I like Bahrain and Malesiya.
But Sochi, Abu Dhabi, Mexico S3, Hockenheim and A1(compared to original circuits)? Huge run off areas?
What´s the problem with huge run-off areas?

Cars are faster each season, so they need bigger run-off areas. I don´t see what´s the point of keeping same size so cars crash with a barrier when out of control. I´m against full tarmac run-off areas because then they can use them for purposes wich are not the purpose of a run-off area (I´d add 2m wide grass just after the track, so if they go wide they´ll spin, or at least loose the line significantly, ie mistakes brings penalties), but the size only add safety, wich is good
I expressed myself wrong. I agree with you 100%.

With tarmac run offs there is no penalty for mistakes. IMO it gives ability to inferior drivers to drive at 100%(and above), and it harder for best drivers to shine.
If you increase the risk drivers will take less risk, even the front runners. So less exciting racing, less action and more "progressions". One of the main reasons why Vettel didn't even try to put any pressure on RIC, the risk (in Monaco) was too high.

The safer a driver feels, how smaller the penalty for a failed attempt, the more aggressive he will be on track.

sosic2121
sosic2121
13
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Post

Jolle wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:13 pm
sosic2121 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:53 am
Andres125sx wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am


What´s the problem with huge run-off areas?

Cars are faster each season, so they need bigger run-off areas. I don´t see what´s the point of keeping same size so cars crash with a barrier when out of control. I´m against full tarmac run-off areas because then they can use them for purposes wich are not the purpose of a run-off area (I´d add 2m wide grass just after the track, so if they go wide they´ll spin, or at least loose the line significantly, ie mistakes brings penalties), but the size only add safety, wich is good
I expressed myself wrong. I agree with you 100%.

With tarmac run offs there is no penalty for mistakes. IMO it gives ability to inferior drivers to drive at 100%(and above), and it harder for best drivers to shine.
If you increase the risk drivers will take less risk, even the front runners. So less exciting racing, less action and more "progressions". One of the main reasons why Vettel didn't even try to put any pressure on RIC, the risk (in Monaco) was too high.

The safer a driver feels, how smaller the penalty for a failed attempt, the more aggressive he will be on track.
And again, superior drivers will differentiate themselves better from inferiors.

IMO any discussion about overtakes at Monaco are pointless. I understand your point but I don't agree with you. Not because you are wrong(you are not wrong), but because I have different view on overall situation.

User avatar
siskue2005
70
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Post

NathanOlder wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:10 pm
Very true, just out of interest who did he actually pass ?

The 2 Haas cars at the run to T1. Ericsson in to Mirabeau and Sainz in to the Nouvelle Chicane.

I think a lot of people look and assume he went from 20th to 9th so he must have had an amazing race.
Exactly I remember few others finishing much higher in Monaco even with pitlane start... example Schumy 2006 pitlane to just behind 3rd place.