VWs Pikes Peaks EV

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
senja

Re: VWs Pikes Peaks EV

strad wrote:
25 May 2018, 19:19
Is the 120dB for spectators to clear the roads?
I believe it's something like that.
It could be the beep mentioned by senja needs to be that loud.
Actualy it's not beep. More like police sound.

But i think this car does not needed it.

bill shoe

Some type of artificial noise is necessary for safe EV cars in cities or unusual pedestrian situations like Pike's Peak. Specific regulations and types of noise may still be a work in progress, I'm not sure.

Loud noise uses surprisingly tiny amounts of power compared to the power levels involved in moving a car. A car next to you on the highway with loud tire noise may only be putting out 10 watts of noise through the tires. So any artificial noise on a racecar will be << 1% of total power output.

Singabule

jjn9128 wrote:
25 May 2018, 11:07
jh199 wrote:
25 May 2018, 04:38
Strad, did you say the rules require 120 decibels? I've never heard of a rule that makes the cars louder, that's really interesting. But how could they possibly do that with an electric car without wasting a ton of energy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl91D1hzaYI
Looks like they're getting the driver to do it :lol:
This is a great joke! Great advertising!

bdr529

DiogoBrand wrote:
24 May 2018, 22:57
It's interesting from an engineering perspective, but from a PR perspective I can't help but think they're trying to create a good image for themselves with electric power, since the good image with Diesel backfired massively.
It reminds me of Audi's PR troubles in the mid 80's with the "faulty transmissions" in the audi 5000.
their PR remedy was to take the quattro and go racing in the States, It turned out good for them and great for race fans, we got to see the Audi 200 quattro TransAm and the Audi 90 IMSA GTO.

I don't know how much PR exposure you can drum up with a win or new record at pikes peak here in north america ? at least we get to see something new from them

roon

bill shoe wrote:
26 May 2018, 01:26
Some type of artificial noise is necessary for safe EV cars in cities or unusual pedestrian situations like Pike's Peak. Specific regulations and types of noise may still be a work in progress, I'm not sure.
Yes, legacy noise pollution. Good idea. Maybe bright flashing lights just in case. Flourescent body colors, glow in the dark paint only. There needs to be a mandatory layer of thick rubber foam across all body surfaces as well, so this will get complicated. With the advent of autopilot, we may be able to cover the windows with pillows inside and out. Also, need tailpipes emitting water vapor so people don't get too spooked by the ooga-booga tech.

DiogoBrand

bdr529 wrote:
26 May 2018, 01:34
DiogoBrand wrote:
24 May 2018, 22:57
It's interesting from an engineering perspective, but from a PR perspective I can't help but think they're trying to create a good image for themselves with electric power, since the good image with Diesel backfired massively.
It reminds me of Audi's PR troubles in the mid 80's with the "faulty transmissions" in the audi 5000.
their PR remedy was to take the quattro and go racing in the States, It turned out good for them and great for race fans, we got to see the Audi 200 quattro TransAm and the Audi 90 IMSA GTO.

I don't know how much PR exposure you can drum up with a win or new record at pikes peak here in north america ? at least we get to see something new from them
Pikes Peak alone won't give them that much exposure, but when you consider Audi and Porsche moving to Formula E, as well as VW's Pikes Peak effort, it's pretty clear that they're pushing hard into electric vehicles to fix their image.

strad

roon;
They enforced noise regulation on city street because pedestrians were walking out in front of and into them because they couldn't hear them.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

roon

People walk out into streets all the time. Fossil fuel vehicles hit them an no one bats an eye because its normalized. Electric vehicle hits them and it's unique enough to garner halfbaked analysis. Autonomous vehicle hits them and it's very unique so lots and lots of halfbaked analysis and press.

Most modern cars are quiet, regardless of powertrain. No one's speaking of the scourge of Camrys and Accords roaming the streets. If the concern is for perhaps 5mph or less noise levels, I understand. At speed, tire noise dominates. The electric car will sound the same as the Camry.

If the local environment is so noisy as to mask tire and cooling fan noise, the fossil fuel vehicle poses the same threat as the EV.

Andres125sx

bill shoe wrote:
26 May 2018, 01:26
Some type of artificial noise is necessary for safe EV cars in cities
Sorry but this is BS. Any modern petrol car makes no noticeable noise under 40-50kmh, actually the noise from the wheels is more noticeable than the one from the engine, if driving relaxed at least.

People need to learn to look at both sides of the street before crossing, that´s not new, and EV are irrelevant here. Do we install speakers on bicycles too? :roll:

bill shoe

Pikes Peak cars really need (loud) minimum noise levels because it's like an old-school rally with lots of spectators unfortunately crossing the track between cars.

In more conventional urban situations, the high-risk time for pedestrians is when the electric cars are moving ~ 5-10 mph in parking lots, alleys, crowded intersections, etc. The tires are nearly silent then. Even a modern gas engine makes significant exterior noise as it gently trundles from point to point. Not so EVs. I've been surprised and almost hit a couple times by hybrid vehicles operating in elec-only mode in those sub-10mph situations. And I'm a cautious fuddy-duddy.

strad

People need to learn to look at both sides of the street before crossing, that´s not new
I'm pretty sure it was initially instituted for blind people. When electrics first hit the streets blind people were the first to be getting hit. Of course sighted people should look both ways etc. but people are stupid and do all kinds of stupid things.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bill shoe

It's not just for blind pedestrians, it's not just for stupid pedestrians, and it's not just for pedestrians in general.

In situations with close-quarters cars & pedestrians (parking-areas, alleys, intersections, etc.) a pedestrian can rapidly react to a problem and take a couple quick steps in any direction. A car has no similar small-distance quick-reaction ability. This means that car noise and pedestrian split-second reaction is critical to reducing or avoiding an accident, regardless of whether the pedestrian or car was initially at fault.

So think of minimum vehicle noise as a safety shield to protect both stupid pedestrians and stupid drivers. I'm guessing everyone on this forum has a lifetime total of > 0 stupid moments for each, yes?

EDIT: And I'll stay on topic by saying I hope VW doesn't break the Sebastien Lobe / Peugeot all-time record. That was an awesome performance by a defunct racing team that was looking for something to do. They just spanked all the tuner-car types that had been dominating PP until then.

Cold Fussion

Andres125sx wrote:
26 May 2018, 12:50
People need to learn to look at both sides of the street before crossing, that´s not new, and EV are irrelevant here. Do we install speakers on bicycles too? :roll:
Legally you are required to have a bell on your bike. Though if government mandated a Chris King rear hub there would be no need for that regulation to exist.

AJI
AJI

So the VW pikes peak thread has devolved into whether EV's should have a Homer Simpson 'everything's okay' alarm...
It's not like an EV race car is silent, they actually make quite a bit of noise. Okay, it's not an F1 v10 at full tilt, but it's still loud.
@Strad, I've tried to find the 120dB minimum rule. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Andres125sx

For reverse, yes I agree some noise will be great for parking lots, etc. similar to that beep machinery do when reversing. I´ve seen rear lights for cars with alarm wich I´ve always thought are a great idea any car should have installed from factory, independently to the engine/motor used.

Modern petrol cars make almost no noise at idle, if the surrounding is not completely silent they´re unnoticeable

But for normal use, ie moving forward, it will be absurd.

Anycase I agree for PPHC where people wait the car in the middle of the road, yes it´s needed to not kill any of those bastards who don´t know the track is only for cars #-o