2018 TT

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
roon

Re: 2018 TT

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 18:29
I think the reality is just that the TT hasn't evolved over time as other motor racing has. For example, back in the day, F1 did the equivalent of the TT at a number of circuits. Look at the old version of Spa, look at the Nordschleife, look at other races - the Mille Miglia, for example. These all died off or were "sanitised" to make them safer.

The TT is a throwback to an earlier time. It's not wrong, it's just different. All of the riders know it's a potentially lethal place to ride but all do it because, like the Nordschleife is to some car drivers, it's the ultimate motorcycling venue. There are some other road races for motorbikes but non really touch the TT.

They ride it to challenge themselves, mostly. A few are good enough to excel and win repeatedly but the others ride it because it's their nirvana, I guess.
There's less money in it, so that may explain it's continued existence in its familiar form. There are, I would guess, no big contracts or liabilities at play so there's less incentive to modernize or guarantee safety.

Just_a_fan

The Isle of Man is a self governing island that is not part of the UK and isn't in the EU either. It's a British Crown Dependency and people born there are British citizens but not with the same full set of rights as a UK British citizen. So they probably just say "nah, stuff it, crack on lads and have fun but don't come crying to us if you mess up" or some such. Presumably they have some law or other that allows for it all to happen. I believe that there are no speed limits outside of built up areas either. Sounds like a great place, the more I think about it! :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanE

Andres125sx wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 08:56
J.A.W. wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 05:56
C'mon guys.. enough with all the - 'these guys are fully pathological!' - hype, already.. huh..

Why not just give them due credit - for steely-nerved riding talent, high-speed concentration & memory skills.
Because nowadays nobody need to risk his life so blatantly to prove steely-nerved riding talent, high-speed concentration & memory skills

It´s more a matter of look at me people, I´m a macho man with no fear/brain

To demostrate talent there are much better scenarios, there´s a reason no top driver race at TT

Anycase I still admire them and would love to go there and watch a race sometime
One of the great things about the races is how much access you get to pit and paddock. Riders are frequently just knocking around and generally very open in conversation.

It's obviously impossible to read inside anyone's head but I think the tt riders do it because they love it, not because they are storming egotists. Generally much more down to earth than the prima donnas in many other sports.

Just_a_fan

TT riders are a pro-am bunch. There are the guys who make a living from racing - the Dunlops, the Hutchinsons - and there are the rest. The rest can be well known - Guy Martin, for example - but their day job isn't racing bikes. I think this mix of riders helps to keep the event "honest" in its approach to the fans. The fans hold their heroes just as highly as, say, F1 fans do but the organisation around the riders is not like F1, MotoGP etc. where the fans are kept at arm's length.

You get the same mingling in other formulae too. Go to see a Saturday race (cars or bikes) at a local circuit and you can get in the paddock and up close to the machines and their pilots. It's just the likes of F1 that have tried to be aloof.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mclaren111

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 20:03
Assuming it's visible outside of the UK, you might be interested in this piece:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/44083363

The determination and single minded focus of these guys in the face of injuries the rest of us would take as a sign to do something else, is amazing. Watching him drag himself off the racing line with a shattered leg is, well, unreal.

I was in a very bad car accident a decade ago and know axactly what he went through. I had to extend 40mm.

Two years of indescribable pain for me.I know what hell is already. :D :D

For him to race again so soon is total madness and takes Balls beyond comprehension !!

Nonserviam85

Andres125sx wrote:
J.A.W. wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 05:56
C'mon guys.. enough with all the - 'these guys are fully pathological!' - hype, already.. huh..

Why not just give them due credit - for steely-nerved riding talent, high-speed concentration & memory skills.
Because nowadays nobody need to risk his life so blatantly to prove steely-nerved riding talent, high-speed concentration & memory skills

To demostrate talent there are much better scenarios, there´s a reason no top driver race at TT

Anycase I still admire them and would love to go there and watch a race sometime
The only reason top drivers not participating is because sponsors and teams don't allow them to do so. I bet many of the top drivers would love to participate just like the old days when Isle of Man TT was part of the world championship. The Isle of Man resembles a lot to Nürburgring, it is just too dangerous to race by modern standards.

strad

Valentino Rossi said he'd love to except for contract restrictions.
One could point out that what happened to Michael was on a kiddy slope and he had all necessary safety equipment. Are you going to attack all skiers for having small brains? God knows what you think of downhill skiers. For some people the danger IS the attraction...You know like post war racing drivers.
I for one don't want to live in a totally safe world. I'll run with scissors thank you. :wink:
I have to wonder who appointed you judge and jury of peoples intelligence. I bet people could question some of your decisions.
If you don't care for it why not just ignore it? Why the insulting comments?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

The answer to all those questions are on my previous messages, for example

Andres125sx wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 16:49
That´s the difference, for skydiving or base jumping there´s no other option to do it safer. If you like it you must assume that risk
Andres125sx wrote:
in my eyes there must be some reason to assume any risk, but if you can do the same without risking your life...
Andres125sx wrote:
Ok the feeling must be different between buildings, that´s the only reason I wonder if it´s a matter of bravery or madness, if not I´d assert they´re all mad :mrgreen:

Anycase, as you can see, I´m only expressing my contradictory feelings about TT :wink:

Nonserviam85

Last edited by Nonserviam85 on 08 Jun 2018, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

NathanE

Oh and if you think that the tt is uncomfortably risky you should come over the water some time to watch the north west.

strad

You are definitely entitled to your opinion but you seem very judgemental
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

Yes, I´m obviously entitled to my opinion, like any other human

Abut being judgemental, far from that, I´m even saying I have contradictory feelings, how someone who does not know what to think about something can be judgemental?

Probably it´s my poor english, I can express myself, but not exactly the way I´d like or the way I´m thinking about the subjet in spanish so easily get misunderstood :(

J.A.W.

Andres.
Dude, seriously.. what gives you the hubris to even imagine..(let alone broadcast)..
your emotive "Feelings" - on a technical forum - or expect that they'd be of the slightest interest.. to anyone else here?

Anyhow, back to the I.o.M. TT..

One of the good things there - is the 'run what you brung'* - attitude of the organisers..

Suter is back with their MMX 500 2T.. but are still struggling with EFI 'bugs'.. http://suter500.com/menu/

*So long as its an interesting/worthwhile machine..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Nonserviam85

J.A.W. wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 10:01

One of the good things there - is the 'run what you brung'* - attitude of the organisers..

Suter is back with their MMX 500 2T.. but are still struggling with EFI 'bugs'.. http://suter500.com/menu/

*So long as its an interesting/worthwhile machine..
:shock: :shock: I missed that one, which category is it allowed to race?

J.A.W.

Superbike.. ( hit the prompts - in the provided link, & you'll see)..

However sadly.. again the ill-sorted Suter.. was unable to beat the 'classic superbike' lap record - set last year..
by Kiwi Bruce Anstey* while riding an old 'customer' Yamaha YZR500, for Padgetts..

*I.o.M. star - Bruce.. is absent this year, due to battling a recurrence of cancer, so.. best wishes for your recovery, Bruce..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).