2022 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
JordanMugen

Re: 18-inch wheels to be introduced in 2021.

Looks great!! =D> =D>
SiLo wrote:
09 May 2019, 14:20
The car just looks silly with wheels and tyres that big.
I think it looks great, and once you get used to it you may think the 13" wheels look really strange, just as F1 before halo now looks really strange. :wink:

Just_a_fan

As part of Liberty's Americanisation of F1, wheels will get bigger and shinier. The aim to get something road relevant by 2030. Something like this: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

smellybeard

humble sabot wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 20:17
As 2019 starts I'm thinking more about this. The total amount of deflection on current F1 setups is not insignificant but as has been stated, it's primarily sidewall flex. How much change are we really going to see? LMP1 suspension seems to offer a similar amount of mechanical movement to current F1 but offers less sidewall deflection.
Will we see extra development in wheel designs since the metal part is going to make up a larger part of the unsprung and rotating weight?
The sidewall flex of the current tires limits the value of further increases in suspension stiffness to achieve constant ride height and pitch. 'Better' tires will allow the engineers to go to bone-shaker levels of suspension movement in search of downforce.

roon

bucker

Those are probably just to transport the car

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ian_s

I think it looks better than the ridiculous balloons we have today.

also, I think that any F1 teams that have close ties with any series that run 18 wheels already will have an initial advantage when they come in. *cough* Ferrari *cough*

FPV GTHO

Don't they test with the HALO?

roon

What will fill the interiors? F1 abhors a void. Taller uprights. Larger diameter brake discs. More complex ductwork. The suspension arms could he moved up higher. The wheel diameter change alone should allow for 2.5"/6.4cm higher upper arms.

The outboard suspension & steering pivots could move further inside the wheel without restricting steering lock. Moving the kingpin axis further outboard--I dont know if this would be advantageous in this context.

Holm86

I really appreciate the proportions of this car.
Looks much more like a racecar than the freaking limos F1 cars have become ....

FrukostScones

looks actually quite nice on this F2 mule or whatever it is.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

izzy

roon wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 08:01
What will fill the interiors? F1 abhors a void. Taller uprights. Larger diameter brake discs. More complex ductwork. The suspension arms could he moved up higher. The wheel diameter change alone should allow for 2.5"/6.4cm higher upper arms.

The outboard suspension & steering pivots could move further inside the wheel without restricting steering lock. Moving the kingpin axis further outboard--I dont know if this would be advantageous in this context.
yes will they allow bigger discs? They're limited at the moment, for some reason, if they leave them at 278mm that's a huge gap to flow air through.

Shrieker

Not a fan of big wheels. They look like sh!t on that lotus from a few years back. The wheels on the F2 car posted above don't look so bad tho. There's a Ferrari pic above, and looks to be the same amount of sh!t with the lotus. I think the wheels on WEC cars look like utter sh!t too.
Last edited by Shrieker on 19 Jun 2019, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

DiogoBrand

izzy wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 22:50
roon wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 08:01

yes will they allow bigger discs? They're limited at the moment, for some reason, if they leave them at 278mm that's a huge gap to flow air through.
I don't think bigger discs would provide any benefit, AFAIK braking force has been limited by the tyre grip for a long time now.
I've said this before, I expect them to go for these "semi-closed" designs like LMP1 and Indycar:
From my little aerodynamic knowledge, I guess this helps control turbulence a lot. What remains to be seen is if they're gonna use all that volume for air or not, I'm not sure if having more air to be compressed is a good thing or not.

izzy

DiogoBrand wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 23:23

I don't think bigger discs would provide any benefit, AFAIK braking force has been limited by the tyre grip for a long time now.
I've said this before, I expect them to go for these "semi-closed" designs like LMP1 and Indycar:
https://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp- ... pork99.jpg
https://digbza2f4g9qo.cloudfront.net/-/ ... 13T165707Z
From my little aerodynamic knowledge, I guess this helps control turbulence a lot. What remains to be seen is if they're gonna use all that volume for air or not, I'm not sure if having more air to be compressed is a good thing or not.
bigger discs would improve braking control by needing less force, i saw 175kg quoted recently for current F1 pedal force! When you're near maximum effort it's harder to modulate muscle contraction, and of course that's exactly what they have to do as the downforce fades away with the car slowing.

But it's interesting what you show about filled-in spokes area. It might be a bit different in F1 with the floor and tea tray and outwash, my bet is they'll have to bring in some more rules about the aero side of them, if they want to keep the wake narrow, and perhaps they'll go for those filled-in areas