[CFD] Calculating Initial Conditions for Turbulence

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Snail With a Shotgun
Snail With a Shotgun

Re: [CFD] Calculating Initial Conditions for Turbulence

Thanks a lot Vyssion, I've been running quite a few simulations lately and your explanation was very helpful :wink: .

That said, something doesn't feel quite right and I think turbulent intensity might be to blame. A friend of mine told me to use turbulent intensity of 0.1%, which seems too low to me (AFAIK even the most advanced wind tunnels can only go as low as 0.5% (?)). Could you please shed some light on what values one might want to use for automotive use and when to use them?

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Re: [CFD] Calculating Initial Conditions for Turbulence

Snail With a Shotgun wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 19:06
Thanks a lot Vyssion, I've been running quite a few simulations lately and your explanation was very helpful :wink: .

That said, something doesn't feel quite right and I think turbulent intensity might be to blame. A friend of mine told me to use turbulent intensity of 0.1%, which seems too low to me (AFAIK even the most advanced wind tunnels can only go as low as 0.5% (?)). Could you please shed some light on what values one might want to use for automotive use and when to use them?
Sounds like your friend is having issues with convergence, and has "hacked" it by just switching turbulence so close to "off" it doesn't matter :lol:

Your numbers aren't too far off. Default for most CFD is usually set at 5%. Depending on what it is you're analyzing, that can sometimes be a little high, and you might want to opt for say 2-3% as a standard. 1% would be quite low turbulence, but wind tunnels can get down to 0.5% yes, and even below that too.

What exactly "doesn't feel right" in your simulation?
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"