2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
roon

Re: 2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

Jolle wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:55
Watching the replay, Alonso's right front wishbones broke on LeClerc's HALO while his wheel was on it's was to/near his head... damn he was lucky having the device.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/og3288m7lac05 ... 2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwc360iswky8o ... 0.png?dl=0
Indeed. Look at the rubber/removed paint on the halo of LeClerc:

iotar__

Morteza wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:46
Hulkenberg did Hamilton Mexico, you know the one, but with a car in front instead of cutting the corner and gaining the advantage =P~ .

As Sky experts say: Lerclerc can't stay out of trouble, "it's the X incident/DNF in Y races", doesn't matter that he was not guilty :wink:, their statistics don't lie.

Edit: This bird's eye view from behind looks pretty bad for a driver.

F1NAC

There is a talk regarding Merc's rear wing that Sky Italia picked up. Apparently it's flexing a bit too much. Any videos about that?

Edax

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 17:53
RZS10 wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 16:41
I wonder if overrated Hulkenberg will get the well deserved race ban or not ...

also lol @ everyone praising the halo because of some scratches on it in an area far away from the head
I was thinking since the car went from behind, halo probably didn´t help. But you can´t assume it was not useful because the scratches are far from the head. Scratches are there, so the car passed at that point pretty close to the head, how can you know the car didn´t go closer or directly into the head but halo did deflect it?
Maybe the scratches were not where his head was, but they are certainly above the steeringwheel. Since he was full lock when alonso landed, thise “scratches” could have been on his fingers.

It won’t change my opinion on the Halo ( I still think it is ugly). But at least it has proven its functionality.

Harvester

Edax wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:29
Andres125sx wrote:
RZS10 wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 16:41
I wonder if overrated Hulkenberg will get the well deserved race ban or not ...

also lol @ everyone praising the halo because of some scratches on it in an area far away from the head
I was thinking since the car went from behind, halo probably didn´t help. But you can´t assume it was not useful because the scratches are far from the head. Scratches are there, so the car passed at that point pretty close to the head, how can you know the car didn´t go closer or directly into the head but halo did deflect it?
Maybe the scratches were not where his head was, but they are certainly above the steeringwheel. Since he was full lock when alonso landed, thise “scratches” could have been on his fingers.

It won’t change my opinion on the Halo ( I still think it is ugly). But at least it has proven its functionality.
I don't think there is anyone who says that HALO is not ugly. However, if it saves even one life it is fantastic.

Restomaniac

Harvester wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:38
Edax wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:29
Andres125sx wrote:

I don't think there is anyone who says that HALO is not ugly. However, if it saves even one life it is fantastic.
Indeed. However look at the current F1 car. They look a total mess down the side as they are covered in tiny wings. You could never call a 2018 F1 car a ‘looker’ with our without the Halo.

drunkf1fan

Jolle wrote:
Watching the replay, Alonso's right front wishbones broke on LeClerc's HALO while his wheel was on it's was to/near his head... damn he was lucky having the device.

So many people are saying it wouldn't hit him without the Halo there. They all seem to ignore two major factors, one, Leclerc's car is as normal there, moving directly towards Alonso's car, it doesn't matter that it at one point was just ahead of him, Leclerc's motion is taking him in to it. Second and most important, the halo pushed Alonso's car forward (from Leclerc's perspective). As it hit the wishbone and the tire Leclerc's forward motion also mean the halo was moving forward and exerting force on Alonso's car, it pushed it forward in midair. Without the halo leclerc moves forward without something to push Alonso's car forward as it moves sideways and his head is going to end up much closer than it did and maybe enough to be caught by the tire.

So many people are treating it as if because the front (well actually back) part of Alonso's car passed infront of Leclerc, the front would have easily as well as if Leclerc's car wasn't moving towards it.

People's spatial reasoning and inability to see what effect the halo had on the movement of Alonso's car is insane to me.

I can't say for sure it would have hit Leclerc's helmet, but it would have been exceptionally close, much closer than the halo allowed.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:45
Big Tea wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:08

When I go to the pub at 12:30 and got back at 5:30 I do not usually post. (OK, I admit I sometimes do, but try not to :D )
Type. Read your post. Read again. Read yet again. Press submit and wing it. 8)
but its different each time I read it :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:54
Just_a_fan wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:08

When I go to the pub at 12:30 and got back at 5:30 I do not usually post. (OK, I admit I sometimes do, but try not to :D )
Hence the "wing it"... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:56
Big Tea wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:54
Just_a_fan wrote:

Hence the "wing it"... :lol:
:twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:03
Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 18:53
And that is F1's problem right there...
That your favorite driver didn't win?

Fix the racing, not enough passing, too much money, too complicated... On and on, but most of the complaints seem rooted in people wanting only their favorite driver to do the passing and the winning. Then they claim there is something systemically wrong with the sport, because Driver Whomever, their cosplay character, isn't performing as well as dreamt.

I'm not succeeding, other people whom I purport to support aren't succeeding, there must be a nebulous systemic issue causing all this... My, there are some deeper philosophical dimensions at play down here in the salt mine.

Amazing. :lol:

Edit: multiple spelling errors. I blame the keyboards! Down with Qwerty! I am far better than this multi-keyed device shows me to be!
Oh, don't try to psychoanalyse me, thanks. I really don't hang my personal success on the success of a sports person (whether I know them or not). My company is young - set up this year in fact - but doing ok so far, thanks. "Driver Whomever" has no bearing on that, but if it makes you feel better, hey, whatever.

Anyone who didn't look at the strengths of the cars this year, at this track, and didn't think " if Seb gets the tow on lap 1 he'll be gone" then they're not F1 fans, or rather, they're not very bright.

roon

drunkf1fan wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:53
Jolle wrote:

So many people are saying it wouldn't hit him without the Halo there. They all seem to ignore two major factors, one, Leclerc's car is as normal there, moving directly towards Alonso's car, it doesn't matter that it at one point was just ahead of him, Leclerc's motion is taking him in to it. Second and most important, the halo pushed Alonso's car forward (from Leclerc's perspective). As it hit the wishbone and the tire Leclerc's forward motion also mean the halo was moving forward and exerting force on Alonso's car, it pushed it forward in midair. Without the halo leclerc moves forward without something to push Alonso's car forward as it moves sideways and his head is going to end up much closer than it did and maybe enough to be caught by the tire.

So many people are treating it as if because the front (well actually back) part of Alonso's car passed infront of Leclerc, the front would have easily as well as if Leclerc's car wasn't moving towards it.

People's spatial reasoning and inability to see what effect the halo had on the movement of Alonso's car is insane to me.

I can't say for sure it would have hit Leclerc's helmet, but it would have been exceptionally close, much closer than the halo allowed.
It's not about bending the laws of physics. Obviously the impact dynamics are inseparable from the results seen. It's simply evidence that a large object passed in proximity to the cockpit opening. This bolsters the reason for the halo. The probability of a helmet strike is high enough to merit safety measures. LeClerc's helmet would have been fine in this instance sans halo (although his hand might not have been), but an object did pass close enough to interact with said safety device.

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 21:05
Anyone who didn't look at the strengths of the cars this year, at this track, and didn't think " if Seb gets the tow on lap 1 he'll be gone" then they're not F1 fans, or rather, they're not very bright.
In light of the options available... I'll go with the former! Deal?

Just_a_fan

roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 21:08

In light of the options available... I'll go with the former! Deal?
Nice try. No deal. Go bait someone else.

TwanV

I have only one thing to say after this race.. Stop drs at spa. Killed all the racing after lap one

DarkSurferZA

TwanV wrote:I have only one thing to say after this race.. Stop drs at spa. Killed all the racing after lap one
But there was no DRS on lap one? Were you watching the same race the rest of us were?

C'mon, just because you're a Lewis fan doesn't mean everything is broken when he doesn't win.
Botas had a cracker of a race because of DRS.

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk