2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

I'm note sure Vettel understands how rules and specifically red flags work.

Someone should remind him that you slow down first, then have a look around!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vett ... g/3198181/
"I think there should be common sense with the rules that we have," said the Ferrari driver. "I think lining out 27.7 seconds precisely as not complying with the rules I think is wrong.

"I think I slowed down, I had a good look around at what was going on. The rules are clear so we know.

"It is the first time we had this in the wet, where the target is a lot slower, so literally you have to stop to 40-50km/h to bring down the delta, which probably I should do next time.

"But in my opinion that is not the right thing. If there is a car right behind you, it might run into you. But it is more important you don't get a penalty."

Vettel said he explained to the stewards that he had seen the red flag when it came out, and he reacted once he had checked there was no danger.

"They [the stewards] were very specific, saying I took 27.7 seconds to slow down," he explained.

"I saw the red flag, I slowed down, I had a look around where the car was potentially stuck in the wall or if there was one around Turn 9 or 10. Then I slowed down significantly to comply with the rules.

"They found it too long. I think it was straightforward.

"On top of it there might have been an issue with the timing, the system. I don't know. So...I slowed down."
197 104 103 7

GrandAxe

A four time WDC taking half a minute to slow down for a red flag ... Erm, what was Vettel thinking? #-o
How one man can create so many negative drama's without help from his adversaries is a mystery. It's become a real comedy show. Oh well, some mothers do have 'em. :lol: :lol:

subcritical71

Marshaling light 5 is off, the first one on is marshaling light 6, he seems to slow, but even if he didn’t, shouldn’t there be at least a one sector freebie? I can’t see the warning lights on the steering wheel activate, so I don’t know how much advanced warning he had.

Reading dans79 quote, I didn’t see a 27.7 second delay in his slowing down.... but really, is Seb complaining somebody might run into the back of him :twisted: :D

GrandAxe

NathanOlder wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 21:35
Horner reckons the 3 place penalty for speeding under a red flag is a rubbish rule, and the best way to hurt a driver is to give him a fine. Most of these drivers are millionaires, a fine does not hurt them. A sporting penalty hurts them way more. Stop talking rubbish Horner.
You want a grown man to give up his hobby? :D

dans79

subcritical71 wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 23:38
Reading dans79 quote, I didn’t see a 27.7 second delay in his slowing down.... but really, is Seb complaining somebody might run into the back of him :twisted: :D
The way I read the stewards report, he was below the target time in marshaling sectors 6 and 7. He would probably have gotten off if it was just sector 6, but not 6 and 7.
197 104 103 7

subcritical71

dans79 wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 23:45
subcritical71 wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 23:38
The way I read the stewards report, he was below the target time in marshaling sectors 6 and 7. He would probably have gotten off if it was just sector 6, but not 6 and 7.
Ah, I see the bolded part now. But man he was already quite slow from the onboard in 6 and 7. He’d go into antistall to go any slower.

Juzh

dans79 wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 23:33
I'm note sure Vettel understands how rules and specifically red flags work.

Someone should remind him that you slow down first, then have a look around!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vett ... g/3198181/
"I think there should be common sense with the rules that we have," said the Ferrari driver. "I think lining out 27.7 seconds precisely as not complying with the rules I think is wrong.

"I think I slowed down, I had a good look around at what was going on. The rules are clear so we know.

"It is the first time we had this in the wet, where the target is a lot slower, so literally you have to stop to 40-50km/h to bring down the delta, which probably I should do next time.

"But in my opinion that is not the right thing. If there is a car right behind you, it might run into you. But it is more important you don't get a penalty."

Vettel said he explained to the stewards that he had seen the red flag when it came out, and he reacted once he had checked there was no danger.

"They [the stewards] were very specific, saying I took 27.7 seconds to slow down," he explained.

"I saw the red flag, I slowed down, I had a look around where the car was potentially stuck in the wall or if there was one around Turn 9 or 10. Then I slowed down significantly to comply with the rules.

"They found it too long. I think it was straightforward.

"On top of it there might have been an issue with the timing, the system. I don't know. So...I slowed down."
Someone should remind dans79 that you have to first understand something you just read before you write nonsense about it.

"I saw the red flag, I slowed down , I had a look around"

and it's quite obvious from the onboard he slows down A LOT. just not to like 40-50 kmh like the ridicioulus rules say he should.

GrandAxe

Bottas was on a cracking lap and had just set fastest sector times (even through the gravel on track), yet he could respond to the red flag and slow down on time, while Vettel who had been doing granny laps all day somehow couldn't find his brake pedal when it really mattered.

LeClerc

FIA sporting regulations 31.6...

https://www.fia.com/file/74025/download ... n=8Dk4HzgE

It does not matter if Vettel thinks he slowed down, all that matters is if he slowed down according to standards set by FIA.
It is I, LeClerc!

Phil

Yes, i am sure significantly braking is entirely safe in wet conditions...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

LeClerc

Phil wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 00:18
Yes, i am sure significantly braking is entirely safe in wet conditions...
Come on!

It's not like he would have had to brake to not be above the limit.

Our last hope of a challenge lost because he couldn't be bothered to slow enough.

As our friend Vettel would say: "Honestly?"
It is I, LeClerc!

dans79

Juzh wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 00:09
Someone should remind dans79 that you have to first understand something you just read before you write nonsense about it.

"I saw the red flag, I slowed down , I had a look around"

and it's quite obvious from the onboard he slows down A LOT. just not to like 40-50 kmh like the ridicioulus rules say he should.
I know exactly what I read. vettel's explanation is like "I took my foot off the gas, looked around and then decided to use the brakes”

call the rule whatever you want, but it's been in place for nearly a year he should know better!

The proper way to follow the rule is as soon as you see the red lights, you slow the car down to the delta time!
197 104 103 7

MtthsMlw

Why not ditch that whole delta thing and tell the drivers to slow down fast but safely and use the pit limiter to drive to the pits :P

RZS10

That would essentially be the slow zone system the WEC uses, no?