2018 Mexico Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 26-28 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2018 Mexico Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 26-28 October

Phil wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 01:26
Worst case, 6th should easily be achievable, if not 5th....
If 6th is safe then yes. If it's looking under pressure from a fast non-top six car then he'll be 5th because Bottas will let him through.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 01:30
I'm not sure he's worried about the title, to be fair, because the odds are massively his way. He did have some PU issues during FP, however, which won't have helped his mood/confidence. I'm sure they'll have a play over night and figure something out.
Yes, they had to turn down the PU quite a bit. And this was an old, "Free Practice" PU, also.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... e/3203120/

ringo

Something tells me Vettel will crash into Hamilton again like last year and may just let hamilton have a dnf. But at the same time he would need to win the race to stay in the title fight.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan

ringo wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 06:18
Something tells me Vettel will crash into Hamilton again like last year and may just let hamilton have a dnf. But at the same time he would need to win the race to stay in the title fight.
If he DNFs Hamilton, expect a clamour for a 1997-style penalty...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 09:15
ringo wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 06:18
If he DNFs Hamilton, expect a clamour for a 1997-style penalty...
Vettel a penalty? A ten seconds one at the most.

Juzh

A quick ferrari vs red bull comparison on the main straight from fp2:

Synced from the start/finish line ferrari is around ~3 tenths faster. If you include the entire straight from the last corner the advantage is 4 tenths for ferrari. We know for a fact ferrari (and mercedes) can turn their engines up much more for qualifying so I expect the difference to grow even higher.
So despite all that red bull still says the engine differences are lower here, which is what makes them more competitive...Makes you think on a normal track renault deficit must be quite insane if you would count all the straights, not just the major ones.

Big Tea

Juzh wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 11:48
A quick ferrari vs red bull comparison on the main straight from fp2:

https://streamable.com/5g02e

Synced from the start/finish line ferrari is around ~3 tenths faster. If you include the entire straight from the last corner the advantage is 4 tenths for ferrari. We know for a fact ferrari (and mercedes) can turn their engines up much more for qualifying so I expect the difference to grow even higher.
So despite all that red bull still says the engine differences are lower here, which is what makes them more competitive...Makes you think on a normal track renault deficit must be quite insane if you would count all the straights, not just the major ones.
Looking at the speed at the start of the vid, the damage is already done through the corner. Even though the Ferrari may have more power, my money is still on the Red Bull
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Racer X

I can't wait for this GP..... the dramma....

That said I'm sure the action will be brought to you be guys like Max, Perez, Ocon, Ricciardo, Mag, Kimi. If anyone is going to give a show it will be those drivers. Vettel and Hamilton will both try to be flawless and both will try to be so perfect that you see clean quick laps out of them. I don't see anything other then perfection out of those 2. The rest will be a pack of wolves trying to attack 2 thoroughbred horses.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 01:32
Phil wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 01:26
Worst case, 6th should easily be achievable, if not 5th....
If 6th is safe then yes. If it's looking under pressure from a fast non-top six car then he'll be 5th because Bottas will let him through.
Lewis can go home now. Vettel won't win with the pace of the Bulls.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Mattchu

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 13:45
Lewis can go home now. Vettel won't win with the pace of the Bulls.
Was thinkig the same, unless the 2 Red Bull suffer reliability problems it`s looking likely either Max or Dan will bag this one.
I`d personally like it to be Dan, he`s had some wretched luck this year, plus it`d be a bit like Kimi last week, winning in one his last few races for the team...

One of the problems here is no-one is going to want to go offline on the marbles/dust after everyone has done their stint on the Hypers.

Fulcrum

Are they doing this to induce more pit stops, some other reason, or do they have genuine concern with the normally prescribed PSI levels?

cooken

This pressure change nonsense during the weekend is really aggravating. Teams do an overwhelming majority of setup and prep work on Friday, and now that all goes to poop. I never supported any of the negativity towards Pirelli for the other tyre deg stuff and lack of testing surely hampers them, but for Fs sake do your homework, establish the numbers and get it right the first time. On this they simply need to do much better.

/rant

Fulcrum

I'm beginning to wonder if they're doing it to add a random vector into the mix, to prevent teams from generating optimized and predictable 1-stop routines.

djones

Teams should start practicing +1 PSI in anticipation.