WEC 2020 Tech Regulations - Hypercar Regulations

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
jjn9128

Re: WEC 2020 Tech Regulations - Hypercar Regulations

Morteza wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 12:09
Didn't know where to post this
https://twitter.com/autosport/status/13 ... 5494048771
Hmmmmm. Sceptical.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Scorpaguy

Looks a bit like the Devel 16...which I still do not know if real or fake 8-[

NL_Fer

So any speculations how the LMDh would compare to the LMH class? Equal power & downforce, but a custom chassis and bigger hybrid system. I would suspect the LMH to have better tyre wear and less fuel consumption.

Scorpaguy

I am still trying to sort it and the acronyms out. I was under the assumption that LMH was basically going to supplant LMP1...with LMP2 remaining a spec class for prototypes. Then the promised LMH cars started disappearing...before they appeared (the Valkrie vamoosed!) . LMDh came out of nowhere (Romulus maybe) for 2022, watering down the LMH strategy...leaving me all WTF! Of course if the manufacturers will not play, I gess WEC had to go all plan B and return to the past/future with LMDh (part of which is a planned, unholy union with IMSA).

While I was hoping all these new, top-speed seeking hypercar manufacturers would rush to/fill WEC's grid with all sorts of road-based tech...then I realized that the short attention span of today's folks does not mesh well with endurance racing. I suppose I will have to visit a parallel universe to see a Devel 16 go head to head with the Lotus E-R9.

But to your question...I first assumed the road-based LMH to have a number of handicaps the prototype would not...with LMDh rapidly dominating. Then I saw Toyota's latest iteration of the sole LMH...hard to discern from LMP1 at first glance. Still, I am going to assume that LMH will result in a "failure to launch scenario" and WEC will have a hybrid LMP2 as its top tier...sadly.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 24 Feb 2021, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

jjn9128

@Morteza Can't believe you missed this :P
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

fritticaldi

Very significant and positive news today with Ferrari returning to Le Mans with a factory team as of 2023. It will be exactly 50 years since the last time this occured (1973) and the return of Ferrari co-incides with the 100th edition of the Le Mans 24hrs race. Looking forward to this event.

graham.reeds

Jeez that Glickenhaus is ugly.

Morteza

jjn9128 wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 18:01

@Morteza Can't believe you missed this :P
They've been posting a lot lately, and I've been so busy with life that I missed this one :mrgreen:

That's the first time a I see a rear wing with those vertical fins in the middle, what is their purpose?

jjn9128

graham.reeds wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 02:53
Jeez that Glickenhaus is ugly.
It certainly isn't pretty.
Morteza wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 06:04
They've been posting a lot lately, and I've been so busy with life that I missed this one :mrgreen:

That's the first time a I see a rear wing with those vertical fins in the middle, what is their purpose?
Tsk tsk you're clearly slipping. :lol:

We've been trying to work that out, can't think of anything. It's the wrong side of the wing for separation control. The wing's also not cambered or swept enough to seem like a separation risk.
#aerogandalf

wb92

jjn9128 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 10:11
Morteza wrote:

We've been trying to work that out, can't think of anything. It's the wrong side of the wing for separation control. The wing's also not cambered or swept enough to seem like a separation risk.
These fins and openings on the rear are to meet safety criteria :)
As now bodywork is technically free to design, FIA still wants to keep cars on the ground.
MVRC - WBRacing

Morteza

It may not look good, but at least sounds nice.

jjn9128

wb92 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 11:12
jjn9128 wrote:
Morteza wrote:

As now bodywork is technically free to design, FIA still wants to keep cars on the ground.
Shark fin would do the job better no?
#aerogandalf

wb92

jjn9128 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 12:04
wb92 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 11:12
jjn9128 wrote:

Shark fin would do the job better no?
It's not only about the sharkfin. It's all about to prevent the car to take off from the ground in different, also unusual, conditions.
MVRC - WBRacing