WEC 2020 Tech Regulations - Hypercar Regulations

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Stu

Re: WEC 2020 Tech Regulations - Hypercar Regulations

Not pretty!
Reminds me of the FWD Nissan; lots of through-flow. Interesting rear treatment; no wing, but the rear spoiler (with gurney) will move the balance rearward as speed increases. Low drag solution?

My favourite (currently) is the Glickenhaus, looks quite ‘old-school’.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Morteza

Some more photos of the 9X8

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Holm86

It's a unique and aggressive design, and I like it.
The interior looks like it was designed in minecraft though :D

Maybe they think a higher top speed is better, than corner speed. Le Mans is not a high downforce track anyway, maybe they can change it for other tracks

JordanMugen

RZS10 wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 18:39
Ah alright ... well that's not all confusing
I wish ACO and IMSA would put all the LMPs in the same class, under some kind of LMP2+ rules with free choice of choice of chassis and power unit (as long as it is homologated and available to all who order it, like in say GT3 or TCR, to allow for works Toyota, Ferrari, Peugeot chassis), but that seems unlikely. #-o

peaty

LMH technical regulations
3.7.3 Criteria

The aerodynamic coefficients must fulfil the criteria set in the Apendixes of these Technical Regulations.
Looks like these apendixes were never published? It would be great having those "magic" numbers. Does anybody have more informartion about it? I know at some point L/D of 4:1 was mentioned...

jjn9128

peaty wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 14:34
3.7.3 Criteria

The aerodynamic coefficients must fulfil the criteria set in the Apendixes of these Technical Regulations.
Looks like these apendixes were never published? It would be great having those "magic" numbers. Does anybody have more informartion about it? I know at some point L/D of 4:1 was mentioned...
The draft regs had coefficients of, , , .
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

peaty

jjn9128 wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 15:59
peaty wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 14:34
3.7.3 Criteria

The draft regs had coefficients of, , , .
Thanks! minimum frontal area was 1.8m2, right?

P.S: I don't understand why the FIA don't release this information (in the final version of the technical regulations I mean)

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Cold Fussion

Too me it seems like a nightmare regulating the aerodynamic performance I suspect we will see an enormous amount of sour grapes in this series.

jjn9128

Cold Fussion wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 13:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dFRk_00r6w

Too me it seems like a nightmare regulating the aerodynamic performance I suspect we will see an enormous amount of sour grapes in this series.
For someone who worked in F1 his CAD can be fairly agricultural.

The aerodynamics are calculated in a control wind tunnel - then the car is homologated for 5 years. It's not like F1 where there's a new bit every race. Because of the maximum efficiency () teams can opt for a low drag, low downforce car, or a high downforce car with a bit more drag. Maximum downforce and drag scale linearly between 4.0 to 5.2 and 1.0 to 1.3 -- i.e. you could go in the middle 4.6 downforce with 1.15 drag...etc That'll be based on lap sims of the series, probably weighted towards winning Le Mans.

There's so much BOP in this series, if a team has a lower drag concept the ACO can reduce their power to equalize top speeds, if a team has more downforce the ACO can add ballast to reduce cornering performance, and because of the control wind tunnel the ACO knows the teams individual performance. But teams signed up to that formula, so can't really gripe about it (they obviously will it's motorsport).
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Morteza

Just_a_fan

Morteza wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 21:52

Gerry Anderson called: the Thunderbirds would like their car back please! 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Cold Fussion

Is this the first racing series where your industrial designers are more important than the engineers.

SiLo

I'm still confused about the regs for the hypercar category to be honest, but at least they look nice!
Felipe Baby!

jjn9128

SiLo wrote:
25 Aug 2021, 16:23
I'm still confused about the regs for the hypercar category to be honest, but at least they look nice!
There's 2 different regs is why. LMH is the ACO/FIA version, and LMDh is the IMSA version (Le Mans Daytona hybrid). BOP'd to equity so they can race in both series'. LMH is designed from scratch, while LMDh is based on a LMP2 chassis like the current IMSA prototypes but with some small styling tweaks to differentiate them. Then there's the whole mess of the Alpine entry, which is a LMP2 with a different engine and some BOP tweaks but was allowed this season only (though probably next season also) basically to fill out the entry list.

So far the only confirmed LMH are Toyota, Glickenhaus, Peugeot and Ferrari (byKolles technically also but that may never actually happen). The rest of the confirmed entries are LMDh - Audi, Cadilac...etc.
#aerogandalf