2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

KUBICA P10!

Well done to an incredibly dedicated man, and a brave, persevering team.

Awesome. A long road ahead, but it’s a glimmer of light.

TwanV

Mansell89 wrote:
28 Jul 2019, 22:03
KUBICA P10!

Well said!

netoperek

TwanV wrote:
28 Jul 2019, 22:20
Mansell89 wrote:
28 Jul 2019, 22:03
KUBICA P10!

Well said!
Considering it's been Roberts first wet race in 9 years I'd say it's been a massive performance today!

Manoah2u

Well i'm eating my hat.

I'm baffled. Positively, let that be clear though.
And very happy that it is Kubica, not Russell.

I'm not blind to the fact that they're lucky as F with this race;
2 cars DSQ, a gang of cars crashed.....still,
they finished AND get treats.

This surely will boost morale. Very happy with this.
Let's hope it's the start of many positives.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

bill shoe

:D =D> :D 8) =D> =D> =D> 8) :D :) :) :D =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Best point ever.

marmer

Does suprise me to some degree that in these conditions we never saw kubica struggling. Maybe it was that we just didn't see it on TV but loads of drivers put it in the wall whilst he didn't and somehow beat Russel. Anyone see how he beat Russell as Russell was in front for most I think

tpeman

marmer wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 06:02
Does suprise me to some degree that in these conditions we never saw kubica struggling. Maybe it was that we just didn't see it on TV but loads of drivers put it in the wall whilst he didn't and somehow beat Russel. Anyone see how he beat Russell as Russell was in front for most I think
I believe George made a mistake in the last stint and Robert overtook him.

search

yeah, he went wide in corner 2 in lap 50.

waynes

I had a couple of quid on George Russell scoring points at 50/1.

Exceptionally happy Robert got a point though :D

search

usually it's the podium result that counts for betting purposes, so in that regards it didn't make a difference in the end.

I really think Williams should have pitted at least one driver at the same lap as Stroll btw. But who knows... maybe the car is just too difficult to handle under those conditions, and that's why they waited this long.

zgred

marmer wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 06:02
He had problems:

https://twitter.com/PN_JJa/status/1155518572069818369

And this is how he passed Russell:

=D> Never give up!

netoperek

George made few mistakes, though he drove pretty well IMO. He got extremally lucky that he has not been given a penalty for passing Stroll when it has not yet been allowed during SC, even though he has been told not to by his engineer. He only got away with this, because Lance pitted before that lap.

netoperek

Robert is going to start the weekend with Silverstone specs (without latest updates) and without T wing. George gets the full package.

drunkf1fan

netoperek wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 00:02
George made few mistakes, though he drove pretty well IMO. He got extremally lucky that he has not been given a penalty for passing Stroll when it has not yet been allowed during SC, even though he has been told not to by his engineer. He only got away with this, because Lance pitted before that lap.
He didn't, there is a video of it, it was evidence that Williams are run by a bunch of idiots. The engineer keeps repeatedly ignoring Russell telling him the rule and why he isn't breaking any. If someone is going miles below above the delta and is going ridiculously and potentially unsafely slowly then you are under no obligation to stay behind them.

Also overtaking under a safety car when not allowed is breaking the rules, pitting does not change that in any way. Stroll pitting doesn't negate what Russell did so if he deserved a penalty he would have gotten it regardless of what Stroll was doing.

It looked like Stroll for some reason sat behind the safety car which was going stupidly slowly trying to let the leader catch up to him and Russell came up to Stroll being stupid and staying behind the safety car when it wasn't wanting him to. Russell because his engineer basically wouldn't shutup said he slowed down and went 12 seconds over the delta and Stroll wasn't even catching him. Again if someone is driving that slowly you do not have to stay behind them.

Russell is repeatedly telling his engineer a rule that his engineer should know forwards and backwards and is instead trying to bully Russell into backing off dangerously slowly just to let past someone who they don't have to let by them.

netoperek

drunkf1fan wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 02:35
netoperek wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 00:02
He didn't, there is a video of it, it was evidence that Williams are run by a bunch of idiots. The engineer keeps repeatedly ignoring Russell telling him the rule and why he isn't breaking any. If someone is going miles below above the delta and is going ridiculously and potentially unsafely slowly then you are under no obligation to stay behind them.

Also overtaking under a safety car when not allowed is breaking the rules, pitting does not change that in any way. Stroll pitting doesn't negate what Russell did so if he deserved a penalty he would have gotten it regardless of what Stroll was doing.

It looked like Stroll for some reason sat behind the safety car which was going stupidly slowly trying to let the leader catch up to him and Russell came up to Stroll being stupid and staying behind the safety car when it wasn't wanting him to. Russell because his engineer basically wouldn't shutup said he slowed down and went 12 seconds over the delta and Stroll wasn't even catching him. Again if someone is driving that slowly you do not have to stay behind them.

Russell is repeatedly telling his engineer a rule that his engineer should know forwards and backwards and is instead trying to bully Russell into backing off dangerously slowly just to let past someone who they don't have to let by them.
I haven't done research myself - its from analisis I've read, so don't quote me on that.
You're almost right. SC has been driving very slowly and Stroll probably could have just passed it and speed up substantially, with George following his tracks. Problem is, George couldn't overtake Stroll at that moment as overtaking was not allowed yet. If Lance stayed and completed the lap George would have been penalized (I don't know the rule why is that so, though) for not giving up the possition before it ends. I think George understood he was wrong when James told him that Stroll pitted and he's clear now, as he apologized for what he has done. He got lucky as he has gained a lot by this manouver but it could end up with penalty.
I've seen videos of this situation, why George is even asking his engineer if he refuses to take advice? I've heard him disagreeing and plainly ignoring the message from pitwall. James Urwin is quite competent IMO and had a bunch of people around him to correct him if he were wrong. To ignore such messages regarding rules interpretation is plain stupid if You ask me, even though there were rare cases when teams got it all wrong.