2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Mclarensenna wrote:
M840TR wrote:
06 May 2019, 10:37
Ground Effect wrote:
06 May 2019, 10:06
Nobody is going to pay 50M+ for "just" the rear wing. That amount is title sponsor level, which will include prominent placement on other areas of the car. You'd get rear wing, sidepods, nose, basically enough places so the brand can be viewed from practically every angle of the car. Also good placement on drivers overalls, front center. Petronas is reported to pay Mercedes £50M, and they're title sponsors. Santander were all over the Ferrari car and were reportedly paying €40M. Nobody is going to pay Renault or anybody 50M+ for just the rear wing.
To be fair, no one's going to pay £50m to Renault for anything. They're a struggling midfield team despite being a factory one and don't generate as much publicity among fans as they used to during Alonso's era even though Ricciardo's joining has helped. The only option they have is getting lots of small scale sponsors like Mclaren.
You took my quote of 50 million or so meaning more or less
Then quoted 50 million pounds for the rear wing.
So not sure why you quote me then change the price so much.
They can sell the rear wing to a title sponsor like Mercedes have done.
No they will not get 50 million pounds as they are not a front runner.
But it will be significant which in turn they could spend on the car making it faster pushing it towards the front.

Ross Brawn orchestrated Mercedes dominance we see now.
His plan?
Go look at the 2010 mercedes below

Petronas is the main sponsor everywhere. Rear wing and massive side spot. Then Autonomy, Mig bank, aabar, ppost brief
Mercedes is in such small letters. It is not even the first or even second sponsor but seems around the 4th most important.
Brawn sold as many advertising spots as he can to collect millions to spend on the car and make it fastest which he ended up doing after a few years and turned the team around.
Ross Brawn was a genius and now we see how this strategy paid off with the greatest run in F1 history
This model is proven to work. There is no denying it.

Hence why all the top teams in 2019 are implementing it and Mclaren, Redbull, Ferrari and Mercedes all have sold off the valuable rear wing to sponsors for millions.

All top teams so far except Renault in 2019.
And the results are proving Renaults business model does not work whereas Mercedes formula works. 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and now 2019
Facts are facts
That fact that Renault hasn’t performed so far this season has nothing to do with Sponsors, as a matter of fact, just by racing they are creating millions in regards to advertisement for the car company... They don’t need to sell the space in the rear wing and selling such a space won’t probably change their on-track performance.

Last year Mclaren had Kimoa in their rear wing and they weren’t paying tenth of millions to be there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ground Effect

Mclarensenna wrote:
07 May 2019, 00:50
M840TR wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
06 May 2019, 10:06

Nobody is going to pay 50M+ for "just" the rear wing. That amount is title sponsor level, which will include prominent placement on other areas of the car. You'd get rear wing, sidepods, nose, basically enough places so the brand can be viewed from practically every angle of the car. Also good placement on drivers overalls, front center. Petronas is reported to pay Mercedes £50M, and they're title sponsors. Santander were all over the Ferrari car and were reportedly paying €40M. Nobody is going to pay Renault or anybody 50M+ for just the rear wing.
To be fair, no one's going to pay £50m to Renault for anything. They're a struggling midfield team despite being a factory one and don't generate as much publicity among fans as they used to during Alonso's era even though Ricciardo's joining has helped. The only option they have is getting lots of small scale sponsors like Mclaren.
But it will be significant which in turn they could spend on the car making it faster pushing it towards the front.

His plan?
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 010-23.jpg

Petronas is the main sponsor everywhere. Rear wing and massive side spot. Then Autonomy, Mig bank, aabar, ppost brief
Mercedes is in such small letters. It is not even the first or even second sponsor but seems around the 4th most important.
Brawn sold as many advertising spots as he can to collect millions to spend on the car and make it fastest which he ended up doing after a few years and turned the team around.
Ross Brawn was a genius and now we see how this strategy paid off with the greatest run in F1 history

Hence why all the top teams in 2019 are implementing it and Mclaren, Redbull, Ferrari and Mercedes all have sold off the valuable rear wing to sponsors for millions.

And the results are proving Renaults business model does not work whereas Mercedes formula works. 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and now 2019
Facts are facts
In fairness, you said 50M+, which doesn't mean more or less, it means in excess of 50M or 50M and above. I guess you could have just said Renault should get a title sponsor, because your statement made it sound like Renault's rear wing alone was worth at least 50M, which is unrealistic. McLaren don't have a title sponsor, but have sold the space, which bears Dell Technologies. So from your initial post would suggest they're getting about 50M for that, which isn't the case.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Mclarensenna

Ground Effect wrote:
07 May 2019, 08:47
Mclarensenna wrote:
M840TR wrote:

His plan?

Facts are facts
In fairness, you said 50M+, which doesn't mean more or less, it means in excess of 50M or 50M and above. I guess you could have just said Renault should get a title sponsor, because your statement made it sound like Renault's rear wing alone was worth at least 50M, which is unrealistic. McLaren don't have a title sponsor, but have sold the space, which bears Dell Technologies. So from your initial post would suggest they're getting about 50M for that, which isn't the case.
Actually you are not being fair. I never said 50m+ at all.
i made multiple comments on this i will repaste them
"The reason being is you can sell it for 50 million or so,"
" It is worth up to 50+ million."

Then you reply with this statement
"In fairness, you said 50M+, which doesn't mean more or less, it means in excess of 50M or 50M and above." <-----
Your statement is completely false and i never said this. Up to or so means more or less than 50m in the context i used it.
I never said minimum 50 million which is what you are falsely claiming i said.
You are completely misquoting me. Please refrain from doing that in the future thank you.

Mclarensenna

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 May 2019, 06:45
Mclarensenna wrote:
M840TR wrote:

His plan?

Facts are facts
That fact that Renault hasn’t performed so far this season has nothing to do with Sponsors, as a matter of fact, just by racing they are creating millions in regards to advertisement for the car company... They don’t need to sell the space in the rear wing and selling such a space won’t probably change their on-track performance.

Last year Mclaren had Kimoa in their rear wing and they weren’t paying tenth of millions to be there.

Renault has not performed sure we all agree with this statement. But there are many many free advertising spots on the Renault car. If they managed to sell the rear wing and other spots and collect another 50 million or so it would go to further improving the car.

If you believe Renault having another 50 million or so budget would somehow make zero difference to the performance of the Renault car this year and the performance would be identical, then to each his own.
If Mercedes could win with a 300 million budget or Redbull or Ferrari then i am sure they would all cut their budget down and save money. But the 2 top teams this year both Ferrari and Mercedes actually increased their budgets the last few years. The reason being more budget "should" bring more performance. And it is working very well for both Ferrari and Mercedes as they are both the biggest spenders and fastest cars in F1 the last few years at least.
The facts back this up 100%

Ground Effect

Mclarensenna wrote:
04 May 2019, 01:26
djos wrote:
04 May 2019, 01:06
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
03 May 2019, 19:30
I think based on the 4 races they will be disappointed. The chassis can’t make the best of the tyres. But prev race they quali’d well... albeit still way off the Bulls’

I don’t approve of a “1 person’s at fault” methodology. Even if you are the team principal.

He doesn’t seem to express any tension or stress- so maybe the Renault hierarchy still support him. They must this year start to take some points off Redbull.

Somehow both Haas and Renault have failed to get the tyres working. I think Spain will favour both teams a bit more.
I totally agree, I think he's a bit of a nob but his job is to get funding and resources for the team, not design the car. He made the right call poaching Daniel and keeping hulk, now Renault has a top driver line up who can help drive the car development forward.
I agree. All the top teams have sold the rear wing space to advertisers. It is worth up to 50+ million. Yet Renault still has not sold this valuable advertising spot. He needs to raise funds to spend more on the car to make it faster. He has completely failed so far to do this.
See above.. 50+ million, which I'm assuming is the same as 50M+
Which is when I argued that rear wing space on its own isn't worth up to that.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Mclarensenna

Ground Effect wrote:
07 May 2019, 10:59
Mclarensenna wrote:
djos wrote:
04 May 2019, 01:06

I totally agree, I think he's a bit of a nob but his job is to get funding and resources for the team, not design the car. He made the right call poaching Daniel and keeping hulk, now Renault has a top driver line up who can help drive the car development forward.
I agree. All the top teams have sold the rear wing space to advertisers. It is worth up to 50+ million. Yet Renault still has not sold this valuable advertising spot. He needs to raise funds to spend more on the car to make it faster. He has completely failed so far to do this.
All i see is you repeatedly misquoting me.
"See above.. 50+ million, which I'm assuming is the same as 50M+ "
Once again i never said this.
You conveniently left out the words "up to 50+ million" Up to is not the same as 50+
Up to means it could be 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 or more
50+ means you start at 50
there is a massive difference
Like i said please stop misquoting me. If you going to quote me then paste my entire quote without leaving parts out in the future, thank you.

djos

Seriously guys, stop it already!
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect

Mclarensenna wrote:
07 May 2019, 11:29
Ground Effect wrote:
Mclarensenna wrote:

You conveniently left out the words "up to 50+ million" Up to is not the same as 50+
Like i said please stop misquoting me. If you going to quote me then paste my entire quote without leaving parts out in the future, thank you.
No worries, I misunderstood the full context, apologies for that...

Mclarensenna

Ground Effect wrote:
07 May 2019, 12:22
Mclarensenna wrote:
07 May 2019, 11:29
Ground Effect wrote:

No worries, I misunderstood the full context, apologies for that...
All good :)

JordanMugen

Mclarensenna wrote:
Mercedes formula works. 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and now 2019
Facts are facts
I think Mercedes would win without Petronas, it is a drop in the ocean for them.

While the Mercedes has good Mercedes branding from the front, I think the Mercedes branding from side-on is not as good as it should be (the engine cover is blank with subtle tri-star pattern on black background in 2019), IMO the previous large tri-star placed there was better...

Personally I do not understand why Renault insists on using a monochrome Renault logo on the F1 team. I think the standard chrome-effect Renault logo looks much better...

Anyway, Renault have little choice to sell the sponsorship space as no sponsors are interested in them, apart from MAPFRE, Microsoft and Castrol. The other brands on the car, RCI and Infinti, are both Renault-Nissan companies.

Should Renault give the rear wing space to Microsoft or Castrol for free, on the hope they will be impressed and increase their sponsorship contribution later? :wink:

Mclarensenna

JordanMugen wrote:
07 May 2019, 15:04
Mclarensenna wrote:
Mercedes formula works. 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and now 2019
Facts are facts
I think Mercedes would win without Petronas, it is a drop in the ocean for them.

While the Mercedes has good Mercedes branding from the front, I think the Mercedes branding from side-on is not as good as it should be (the engine cover is blank with subtle tri-star pattern on black background in 2019), IMO the previous large tri-star placed there was better...

https://stmed.net/sites/default/files/m ... 156923.jpg

Personally I do not understand why Renault insists on using a monochrome Renault logo on the F1 team. I think the standard chrome-effect Renault logo looks much better...
https://www.nicepng.com/png/detail/81-8 ... o-2016.png

Anyway, Renault have little choice to sell the sponsorship space as no sponsors are interested in them, apart from MAPFRE, Microsoft and Castrol. The other brands on the car, RCI and Infinti, are both Renault-Nissan companies.

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp ... -sport.jpg

Should Renault give the rear wing space to Microsoft or Castrol for free, on the hope they will be impressed and increase their sponsorship contribution later? :wink:
"Anyway, Renault have little choice to sell the sponsorship space as no sponsors are interested in them,"

<----- Where in the world did you source this data from please??? Even Mclaren after 1 of the worst seasons last year managed to get Dell on the rear wing sponsorship from the front and when you look at the car from the rear you see Huski sponsorship. That is 2 sponsors on 1 wing front to back. Money they can use to spend on the car which they are and making steps forward.

Racing point a team nearly bankrupt and saved at the last minute managed to find Sportpesa to sponsor them on the rear wing in such a short space of time (few months at best).
And Renault cannot find 1 sponsor in their 4th year now?
This to me shows complete incompetence by Cyril and management at Renault which is why they are struggling so much after all the promises made.

"Should Renault give the rear wing space to Microsoft or Castrol for free, on the hope they will be impressed and increase their sponsorship contribution later?"
<-------- April fools is past i am afraid :)

JordanMugen

Mclarensenna wrote:
08 May 2019, 00:32
This to me shows complete incompetence by Cyril and management at Renault which is why they are struggling so much after all the promises made.

"Should Renault give the rear wing space to Microsoft or Castrol for free, on the hope they will be impressed and increase their sponsorship contribution later?"
Hmm, it does seem troubling that the other teams can find sponsors yet Renault cannot. :(

Mclarensenna

JordanMugen wrote:
08 May 2019, 05:22
Mclarensenna wrote:

Hmm, it does seem troubling that the other teams can find sponsors yet Renault cannot. :(
Agree! Renault should have sold a lot more advertising space since 2016. Year after year that extra budget could have been used to slowly push Renault towards the front and be in a much better position now.

SmallSoldier

Mclarensenna wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
08 May 2019, 05:22
Mclarensenna wrote:

Agree! Renault should have sold a lot more advertising space since 2016. Year after year that extra budget could have been used to slowly push Renault towards the front and be in a much better position now.
You are assuming that they haven’t been able to find sponsors... They may very well not be getting what they think that space is worth or simply have decided that they much rather have their own brand in the rear wing... Reality is that you are just guessing without having any actual piece of information on the decisions that may be going on inside the team.

bucker

Selling more space to sponsors is not what they will bring them to the top...their budget is still higher than Haas or Racing Point, their knowledge is still not there, old testing machines,...

And it looks like that Renault hase more than just Infiniti and Mapfre for their partners.
https://www.renaultsport.com/-formule-1-partners-.html

In Mercedes case it is not that Petronas or Hewlett Packard or Pure Storage is giving them 50+mio, because they have their logo everywhere. This is more like techical partnership, they help them with their knowledge than just pure "give me money and I have your logo" thing.
Last edited by bucker on 08 May 2019, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.