2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Datco

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Hammerfist wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 10:43
Ground Effect wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 10:35
The problem is people assuming after the engine switch, there would be no teething problems. This is kinda like a reset for Red Bull and I think they're doing pretty well, it's unfortunate that their spokesperson instead of being optimistic, but cautious, chose to brag and make all sorts of declarations.
I still believe it's a solid and very impressive start to the partnership, with a large scope for improvement. There"s reason to be positive, Gasly on the other hand.....
The engine switch and integration is not the main problem. They still lack on power, it's evident as the speed traps do show they are among the slowest. Of course Horner and nobody at Redbull is going to blame Honda right now, but Honda still has some catching up to do. Chassis wise, they are no longer the best, but imo are better than Ferrari. Merc has the best chassis this year, there is little question about that.
Honda themselves said they have alot of catching up to do under no uncertain terms. Horner doing the right thing not to make a fuss about it as Honda are not denying. And of course they also have catching up to do on the chasis so would have been a case of the kettle calling the pot black.

Bill

This thread has become a retreat for some frustrated Mclaren fans last week they extolling the virtues of their great chassis and how it gonna take on Rbr then they also the Renault pu thing how is better than Honda but we saw another pu related retirement from Hulk.here is some dose of truth Mclaren of bygone era is gone u now have a b team that can't even keep up with Str but no u blame kyvat for ruining you race but he was hit by Carlos to begin with. Bottom line is both Merc and Honda are doing better after parting with Mclaren

Bill

Rbr has constantly said they have an aero problem with their car ,they Honda power in a str was doing great against other midfield teams Ferrari has the most powerful engine but are still lacking against Mercedes

TwanV

Well last year RBR had two good drivers but a lot of bad races. points are better this year (excluding RICs win, which was due to the safety car situation). But I fear for the rest of the season, the gap to the front is more apparent, Max had 3 flawless races but is in no place to challenge for a race win or even the Ferrari's on sheer race pace, as was the case last year. Let's hope they find something in the chassis.

chrisgr

Bill wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 11:59
Bottom line is both Merc and Honda are doing better after parting with Mclaren
Also mclaren is better without honda. It works both ways. The fact is that last year RBR with renault enginr won here. The year before they were 3rd and 4th in front of a ferrari and a mercedes. This year they made a step backwards. They blamed only Renault, like a second mclaren (they only blamed honda ). This year they also blame their chassis and they give excuse to Honda. Of course its very early and we will see what happens. Its only their third race with a new engine. But the signs are not positive. As a Mclaren fan I am a fan of F1 and we are in terrible need of another top tier team.

Datco

chrisgr wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 12:45
Bill wrote:
Also mclaren is better without honda. It works both ways. The fact is that last year RBR with renault enginr won here. The year before they were 3rd and 4th in front of a ferrari and a mercedes. This year they made a step backwards. They blamed only Renault, like a second mclaren (they only blamed honda ). This year they also blame their chassis and they give excuse to Honda. Of course its very early and we will see what happens. Its only their third race with a new engine. But the signs are not positive. As a Mclaren fan I am a fan of F1 and we are in terrible need of another top tier team.
You do know they lucked into the win last year with the vsc. Before the vsc last year they were not threatening the Merc or Ferrari.

GhostF1

chrisgr wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 12:45
Bill wrote:
To be honest. Strictly speaking performance wise. I don't think McLaren are better off at all, the relationship was toxic yes and so on an Operations front, they were wise to split, but performance wise, the PU is no better, there is absolutely no reason to think Renault are a better option currently, they are horribly unreliable at the moment and power wise at best on terms with Honda. McLaren are now and will be for the foreseeable future, a customer team. The advantage has gone to Red Bull.

We know there is a power deficit, we also have a chassis issue that is improving with each race with Barcelona the target for getting back on track. The Honda is actually looking to be a tidy unit. It seems reliable and is proving good in terms of power. In the midfield, Toro Rosso seem to be putting the Honda to better use than the Ferrari and Merc in the other teams. That speaks mountains of progress.

Capharol

when i read here some frustrated McLaren fans, telling how bad RB does and that Honda is slower or there are problems between RB and Honda.....

FYI for those: there are no problems between the two, Honda gave what they promised, compared to Renault promisesfrom 2014 till 2018 (hell even this year they can't keep there promises) .... RB has an aero issue, not an engine issue.
Honda isn't a slow engine, they just run a less agressiv mode ....... my guess they do that delibertly, so RB they're aero package suits with the engine, from Barcelona on they might start tuning up the engine more and more when RB brings the right parts with them (because Honda has the power, shown in Australia).

about the teampoints: Max is the only one who haul in the points (39 of the 52), Gasly is way of pace and in the next race last year both RB's had a DNF.
As long as Gasly don't start to improve massivly, RB will be 3rd team in the Team Championship.

as for Max, he got more points already as he did last year, yes he is way behind the Merc-Drivers for now but, if RB starts developing like they did last year and Max keeps it steady, he can be winning races on merit, even on tracks where the aren't suppose to win.

@GhostF1 ...... Agree 100%

Datco

I wonder if RBR should use Gasly's struggles as an opportunity to improve the chasis rather than thinking about if he is a worthy driver. He struggles to put the power down, Max has a way around it but it must still be causing a compromise down the straights and top speed. Instead of just focusing on adjusting Gasly's driving style they should work closer to fundamental resolve the issue. He has experience from STR where he could floor it so it may be something worth learning from him.

Capharol

Datco wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 13:34
I wonder if RBR should use Gasly's struggles as an opportunity to improve the chasis rather than thinking about if he is a worthy driver. He struggles to put the power down, Max has a way around it but it must still be causing a compromise down the straights and top speed. Instead of just focusing on adjusting Gasly's driving style they should work closer to fundamental resolve the issue. He has experience from STR where he could floor it so it may be something worth learning from him.
tell me how can you learn from a driver that struggles with his car, speed, etc.
imo, this driver will generally be focussing on "how HE can get his car better" and losing the overall sight of the development of the car, because for example if 1 driver has understeer and the other has oversteer due to different setup, which one should be fixed first?
and why does Verstappen finish 3rd, 4th, 4th and Gasly only 11th, 8th and 6th.
How does Gasly help when he Qualifies 0,5 - 1,0 sec of his teammate in the same car.

for now lets say it's because he is new in the RB and needs time to adjust, but to be honest... he needs to step up his game to be really helpfull for the team.

HPD

Horner is satisfied with the progress made after the Bahrain Grand Prix: "We have certainly taken a step forward. When we analyze, I see that we were in an excellent position in the first two sectors. For the third sector we have some work, but a number of updates are coming. I hope we can take a step forward with this. "

"We have seen after the pit stop that Ferrari and Mercedes could drive some kind of qualifying setting. At one point Sebastian was driving a 1: 34.8 and a moment later he was in the 1:36", he said about the fast laps of the Ferraris.

Asked by Dieter Rencken whether Honda is already working on its own qualification mode, Horner said: "Honda is making progress in the field of 'party mode', they are hard at work and still have some parts to hand. "

https://www.gptoday.net/nl/nieuws/f1/24 ... er-de-hand

Bill

I wonder what redbull have done to tame their unstable rear end I get the feeling they have dumped some big wing which helping them in the corners but hurting them in straights . A week ago they were talking about aero faults that will be solved by Monaco but now Horner has changed his tunes the chassis is great if only Honda could improve we will setting the championship arlight

Capharol

Bill wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 15:23
A week ago they were talking about aero faults that will be solved by Monaco but now Horner has changed his tunes the chassis is great if only Honda could improve we will setting the championship arlight
where did you get that from?

Bill

The internet is available to everyone an interview with marko

Marti_EF3

It was a good race and, finally, a good job from the strategy. Good points for the championship. Gasly needs to be stronger, but maybe today was a good day for him to be more confident with the car, I still think he needs some time. RBR need him if they want to challenge 2nd WCC place.

And I don't understand how people still blaming on Honda always. So far they are reliable, they have good power (no one expected they to match Merc and Ferrari at the start of the season), so blaming them is no sense. They have aero issues, they said it. They need to fully integrate PU and Chasis (more gains) and Spec 2 Honda coming soon... And even with all of these "issues", they are taking good points every race (without lucky SC or VSC), and mixing with the Ferraris. I've a feeling that on the European season they will be very strong =D> =D>