2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

"Carlos does formation lap practice as Lando fires up and heads out. Both are beginning their race sim on the soft compound."

"Both drivers lapping in the 1m40s bracket on their long runs. The whole field is on track now – but it's not the problem it would be elsewhere as there's acres of space at the Shanghai International Circuit. While the lap times remain steady, both drivers are trying different things from lap to lap."

"RIC has been a bit messy: best lap of 1:39.4 but most in the high 1m40s. HUL started in the 39s but now at 1m40.6s."

"Pace looks similar to the people we are racing."

"Carlos pits and swaps to the medium tyre. Now Lando comes in and swaps to the hard tyre. There's eight minutes of the session remaining."

FittingMechanics

When you look at the lap data, it seems that McLaren ran about 15-18 laps for the first stint on softs, while Renault ran about 10 laps. I think the same is for the most of the field, but I do not remember accurately. This could mean that McLaren is better with tire degradation which hopefully helps in the race. Would be great to have two cars in top 10, challenging for the best of the rest.

mclaren111

A Fabrega:

The differences of the teams in performance with respect to Mercedes (who is the one who has marked the best time) in curves of different speeds and straight. Some do not fit me, but it's a good indication.

We're not looking too bad...

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 15:20
SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 15:01
Capharol wrote: hey some people expect that if you just joined the team 2-3 weeks ago, you know all the ins and outs :wink:
It’s not about knowing the ins and outs... He is just a high level, highly publicized hiring that has had a lot of time to prepare to join the team... I’m just surprised that how it has been managed so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
To be fair, Pat Fry didn't get much exposure after rejoining the team either. I haven't seen a single interview with him since. I guess for them the work at hand trumps any kind of PR. He'll be too busy getting up to speed, I imagine, and I'd rather they get on with it with as little exposure as possible. There's no need to treat it like it's the second coming.
GIL DE FERRAN is SPORTING DIRECTOR, McLAREN RACING. He took over from EB as talking Head. Don't think you'll hear from Keys too often.

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 14:55
A Fabrega:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D380AfyVUAAOXag.jpg:large
The differences of the teams in performance with respect to Mercedes (who is the one who has marked the best time) in curves of different speeds and straight. Some do not fit me, but it's a good indication.

We're not looking too bad...
Hope we can keep up doing so well in medium and low DF Corners and still leading in the speed trap speed ..

From the previous page https://twitter.com/F1/status/111653599 ... 73/photo/1

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
It’s not about knowing the ins and outs... He is just a high level, highly publicized hiring that has had a lot of time to prepare to join the team... I’m just surprised that how it has been managed so far.

To be fair, Pat Fry didn't get much exposure after rejoining the team either. I haven't seen a single interview with him since. I guess for them the work at hand trumps any kind of PR. He'll be too busy getting up to speed, I imagine, and I'd rather they get on with it with as little exposure as possible. There's no need to treat it like it's the second coming.
GIL DE FERRAN is SPORTING DIRECTOR, McLAREN RACING. He took over from EB as talking Head. Don't think you'll hear from Keys too often.
I appreciate everyone’s input... I definitely had the scope of his position wrong in my head... Now it is clear! :)

Bisonas

Why i get the feeling that MCL is already not focused on showing their true speed on Fridays, just following their program while they are the de facto 4th fastest team on both qually and race pace ?? (Even in a front limited track like china) .. i don't know, maybe i am over optimistic, but i get that feeling.

SmallSoldier

Bisonas wrote:Why i get the feeling that MCL is already not focused on showing their true speed on Fridays, just following their program while they are the de facto 4th fastest team on both qually and race pace ?? (Even in a front limited track like china) .. i don't know, maybe i am over optimistic, but i get that feeling.
They are definitely going through their program, very hard to tell what ultimate pace is from Practice really... But for whatever reason, I believe Renault’s performance is better than what they showed in the first to Grand Prix and might be slightly ahead of Mclaren... Been said that, it is really encouraging to see the team mixing it up in the Top 10 from the get go!

Xero

Sainz lap from FP2;

Lap looked smooth, no steering corrections, car looks fairly planted. If the car is indeed front limited, maybe this is mitigated here with the slimmer rear wing.

FittingMechanics

diffuser wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 16:58
Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Given that McLaren may expand their racing operations to include an Indycar team (perhaps next year), I think De Ferran is meant to manage all of the various programmes, while Seidl handles the F1 team. At least that was my understanding from a few interviews I heard.

Ground Effect

FittingMechanics wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 19:08
diffuser wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 16:58
Ground Effect wrote:

Given that McLaren may expand their racing operations to include an Indycar team (perhaps next year), I think De Ferran is meant to manage all of the various programmes, while Seidl handles the F1 team. At least that was my understanding from a few interviews I heard.
Correct, but I think he'll be Zak's right hand, as Zak is CEO of McLaren racing, so Gil will be his nbr 2. Also is Gil taking up any official role with Extreme E?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

_cerber1

Another thing to keep in mind is that after training, a bunch of equipment is removed from the chassis, like cameras that are controlled by tires.

Macklaren

Sainz confirming that big update is coming in Barcelona 👍

Benii6

Macklaren wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 21:04
Sainz confirming that big update is coming in Barcelona 👍
Can you share the source?

Macklaren

Benii6 wrote: