2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Just looking at the long runs from the race, the Mclarens would probably have had enough race pace to scare Gasley in the other Red Bull if they weren't both suffering from damage - obviously they would have had a lot of traffic stopping them from getting up with him but that's very encouraging given the front end/tyre temp issues, it's evidently no real issue in the race now once they get the extra weight in the rear from the fuel.

If they can get on top of the front tyres when there's no fuel in the car for qualifying it'll be a fair step forwards.

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 16:16
Just looking at the long runs from the race, the Mclarens would probably have had enough race pace to scare Gasley in the other Red Bull if they weren't both suffering from damage - obviously they would have had a lot of traffic stopping them from getting up with him but that's very encouraging given the front end/tyre temp issues.
If they can get on top of the front tyres when there's no fuel in the car for qualifying it'll be a fair step forwards.
Makes me think how there's so much potential in the car that hasn't yet been exploited. They certainly assuaged the setup issues for Sunday after a bleak quali. Races like China are in a way important to better understand the car and take two steps forward.

charliesmithhd

Ivan saying that they were 8 seconds quicker, over the rest of the race after the incident, than Ricciardo

PhillipM

Yes, fairly low key race from loosing all the time at the start and having tyres/strategy compromised by damage but their actual outright pace was superb, especially on the harder tyres. When you consider Norris was carrying floor damage worth a second a lap and Sainz BB and floor damage worth half that...if they can get the qualifying pace sorted they might be up with RB by the Summer break, never mind leading the midfield.

charliesmithhd

PhillipM wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 16:26
Yes, fairly low key race from loosing all the time at the start and having tyres/strategy compromised by damage but their actual outright pace was superb, especially on the harder tyres. When you consider Norris was carrying floor damage worth a second a lap and Sainz BB and floor damage worth half that...if they can get the qualifying pace sorted they might be up with RB by the Summer break, never mind leading the midfield.
Agreed, seems like most people here agree that we will out-develop our competitors

Shader

PhillipM wrote:
I always like the optimism, but I think McLaren is not realy that strong right now. The car is good, I'd say above average. But they are still vulnerable on certain tracks even by Force India*, so leading the mid-field should be a real target, and a healthy one for everyone expectations.

M840TR

It’s usually tough to see positives on a weekend where you travel a long way and fail to score – but the mood in the garage on Sunday evening was overwhelmingly positive. On a track not expected to suit the car, the race pace – albeit from 30 seconds off the back of the field – had been stronger than expected. It’s a solid foundation on which to base a campaign.

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2019/c ... gn=China19

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
Maybe, just maybe they can outpace Redbull once or twice on tracks like Baku or Spa which suit the car but I think China showed top 3 are still in a league of their own. If Redbull sort their aero issues they'll distance themselves even further.

PhillipM

That's a big if vs a car that's working and can be actively developed though, look what happened with Mclaren last year when they couldn't sort out the issues...

hollus

Capharol, Darth:

Please take it to PM? Or even better, live with the disagreement? This is clearly a 1 on 1 fight by now and it looks like nothing good is going to come out of it.

Thank you.
Rivals, not enemies.

Ground Effect

A tough, but realistic target is 4th, there's still a big gap to Red Bull and the likes, I don't see us bothering them much during the course of the season. Renault will put up a tough fight for 4th, along with Racing Point. Haas, not so sure, they have been bizarrely off pace in the last 2 races.
My big worry is with Renault's reliability all over the place, can we realistically expect more power, the usual B spec at Canada? They will likely be more focused on reliability, thus making life tougher for McLaren when other midfield teams get PU upgrades.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

charliesmithhd

Renault should deliver a new engine by then, I’m not sure if people here have heard but Honda are introducing a new engine soon with 20hp more

RonDennis

Nice comparisons, they should have been easily in the points. Baku should be better anyway with the slower corners.

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 19:54
A tough, but realistic target is 4th, there's still a big gap to Red Bull and the likes, I don't see us bothering them much during the course of the season. Renault will put up a tough fight for 4th, along with Racing Point. Haas, not so sure, they have been bizarrely off pace in the last 2 races.
My big worry is with Renault's reliability all over the place, can we realistically expect more power, the usual B spec at Canada? They will likely be more focused on reliability, thus making life tougher for McLaren when other midfield teams get PU upgrades.
Well, according to Renault the reliability has been fixed, but their software wasn't optimized. I expect that 4th place will go between Renault and McLaren. Let's hope Sainz get's a clean race soon, because he's certainly a couple of tenths ahead of Norris.

Ground Effect

charliesmithhd wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 19:57
Renault should deliver a new engine by then, I’m not sure if people here have heard but Honda are introducing a new engine soon with 20hp more
My point is, can they? Do they have the confidence to introduce an upgrade when there are so many question marks on this spec? I hope they can pull it off.
I saw the story about Honda gaining 20hp on the Red Bull thread. From what I read there, guys are suggesting it could be as a result of software, fuel, upgraded PU elements or simply a rumour.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

trinidefender

I wish I had more down votes so i can downvote every post continuing this back and forth verbal diarrhoea whether for or against McLaren concerning the Honda vs Renault argumet. It's off topic, completely unrelated to this season and does nothing to further any discussion. Do the children in the group mind creating a new topic somewhere else other than this thread where you can scream at each other?

On a more on topic note, unlucky guys. Can anyone give me a nutshell description of how Carlos was able to battle his way up to 14th? How was the race pace. I ended up turning off the box and went to sleep once the two cars got taken out.