2019 FIM MotoGP World Championship.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: 2019 FIM MotoGP World Championship.

Bold claim mate!

A 2nd in his rookie season is remarkable. And he did it in the wet (his very first wet race with a MotoGP bike?) what IMO is even more remarkable

He already outperformed Smith rookie season with a 2nd while Smith never made it into the top 5, and that bike was not bad at all, Crutchlow did 4 podiums with same bike

I didn´t have high hopes for him, but you´re forcing me to analyse and now he´s growing on me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

rscsr

Andres125sx wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 20:38
Bold claim mate!

A 2nd in his rookie season is remarkable. And he did it in the wet (his very first wet race with a MotoGP bike?) what IMO is even more remarkable

He already outperformed Smith rookie season with a 2nd while Smith never made it into the top 5, and that bike was not bad at all, Crutchlow did 4 podiums with same bike

I didn´t have high hopes for him, but you´re forcing me to analyse and now he´s growing on me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
In the end of the day, no one expects anything from rookies, but to improve from race to race. And to be honest he does show some improvement. When you compare someone, who is more likely to find in the second half of the grid, I think you should look at the position from the rear, and who he finished in front of. To account for crashes or technical issues of the riders in the front. Finishing 10th when 13 riders finish is not good, but 10th when everyone finishes is good, especially for a rookie.
So to compare the 3 rookies, the results so far:
Marquez
+3, +4, +3, +3, +5, +2, +6, +4, +14
Lecuona:
C, C, C, +8, +11, +5, C, +3, +0
Binder:
+2, C, +17, +13, +13, +7, C, +6, +4

so to me this looks quite clearly like Marquez is the worst of the rookies.

Since this fits better into the 2020 season, I am posting this also in the appropriate thread.

digitalrurouni

We are talking about the same Marquez right who nearly won Aragon?