Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ScrewCaptain27

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Ashwinv16 wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 19:33
Probably the last team to scumb to the chicken wings or boomerang vane.
They have a rather unique approach to it though.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Gatecrasher

Manfer wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 16:58

It looks like the vanes have been photoshopped onto the old bargeboard.
And a bad photoshop job at that. Why waste time and put two pics side by side that make it easy to spot the fake.

MtthsMlw

Renault doesn't have one. Only ones without one I think.

Fer.Fan

Any news on updates? Was they used in FP1 & FP2?

Any pictures?

roon

How much do you think these cost?

MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 13:43
Morteza wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 14:42

MtthsMlw

Fer.Fan wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 22:40
Any news on updates? Was they used in FP1 & FP2?

Any pictures?
Both used the new bargeboards in FP2.

diffuser

Don't understand why Ferrari didn't split thier tire strategy in Q2. Starting the race on softs give you a big launch edge. Plus pitting earlier to switch to Meds give you an undercut and might force some of the teams to switch to soft early.

Ashwinv16

diffuser wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 17:57
Don't understand why Ferrari didn't split thier tire strategy in Q2. Starting the race on softs give you a big launch edge. Plus pitting earlier to switch to Meds give you an undercut and might force some of the teams to switch to soft early.
Ferrari is hoping for a very hot or a very cold on Hungaroring, thus starting on the mediums (Last year's supersofts I think) will help Ferrari to adjust strategy to their liking in case the tyres grain or melt.
Halo not as bad as we thought

diffuser

Ashwinv16 wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 21:41
diffuser wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 17:57
Ferrari is hoping for a very hot or a very cold on Hungaroring, thus starting on the mediums (Last year's supersofts I think) will help Ferrari to adjust strategy to their liking in case the tyres grain or melt.
Passing is very difficult. Only chance you got is at the start and the under/overcut

godlameroso

roon wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 04:04
How much do you think these cost?

Just to manufacture? Probably around $30k USD each.
Saishū kōnā

Sevach

Ferrari needs to take a lesson on how close Mercedes plays with their cooling, be it engine, brakes... i think there's some time on the table honestly.

By the nature of F1 it's better to build a jet and administer from there than it is to build a tank.

bosyber

Sevach wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 17:01
Ferrari needs to take a lesson on how close Mercedes plays with their cooling, be it engine, brakes... i think there's some time on the table honestly.

By the nature of F1 it's better to build a jet and administer from there than it is to build a tank.
Well, looking at last weeks qualifying, maybe they are already close to max with their Turbo (or really, with their staff?). This year they just went too far into 'efficient df' territory, so the car might fly in Spa and Monza (though the chicanes ...), but getting it up to the level they need to be competitive in Singapore, that's for next year.

Xwang

I have a question:
when they say that they do not have enough downforce they mean that the car does not have the level of downforce that they designed or that the car has the designed level of downforce but with hindsight they have discovered that they needed to design a car with more downforce?

MtthsMlw

Xwang wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 19:03
I have a question:
when they say that they do not have enough downforce they mean that the car does not have the level of downforce that they designed or that the car has the designed level of downforce but with hindsight they have discovered that they needed to design a car with more downforce?
Pretty sure it's the latter. They misjudged the tyres for example. Last year you could cope well with them with a efficient car philosophy but this year DF at all costs seems to be the right choice.
That's what they're lacking compared to RB and Merc. Just my few cents on it though.

bosyber

Xwang wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 19:03
I have a question:
From all we have seen and heard, it is the latter: they have the amount of df they designed for, but, seemingly underestimated the amount of downforce needed for the tyres/created by their competitors' cars. And they seem to have a (not by design, presumably, since they were surprised by that in Australia) lack of slow-corner pace.

They seemingly felt that with the change in the front wing, and draggier rear wing, going more efficient
would be the winning design. But, the tyres (w lower blanket temp at the rear) profit from more downforce to get them up to temperature, which means that the Ferrari design fundamentally conflicts with them when it isn't very hot, or a track that heats them well.