Renault F1 R.S. 19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
carisi2k

Re: Renault F1 R.S. 19

djos wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 04:28
DiogoBrand wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 03:57
You guys are wasting a chance to earn a lot of money with those CFD eyes. I bet even Newey wouldn't be that good at telling how fast a car is just by looking at its renders.
Not kidding, critiquing a car based on some renders of an incomplete car, that hasn't even hit the track yet, is silly in the extreme!
The renders are close enough to give a clue. Only minor items are going to change and the silver car and blue and red car were out on track today and they were looking fantastic. The RS19 as presented is nothing at all like those 2 which will be frustrating daniel to no end as he will know what will be available to max. Here is hoping for that 1500hp Renault engine.

djos

carisi2k wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 05:58
djos wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
You guys are wasting a chance to earn a lot of money with those CFD eyes. I bet even Newey wouldn't be that good at telling how fast a car is just by looking at its renders.
Not kidding, critiquing a car based on some renders of an incomplete car, that hasn't even hit the track yet, is silly in the extreme!
The renders are close enough to give a clue. Only minor items are going to change and the silver car and blue and red car were out on track today and they were looking fantastic. The RS19 as presented is nothing at all like those 2 which will be frustrating daniel to no end as he will know what will be available to max. Here is hoping for that 1500hp Renault engine.
The experts who have analysed the renders all seem to agree that the RS.19 is a significant step forward for Renault so I think your pessimism is sorely misplaced - especially in light of a lack of Pre-season testing.

EDIT: Looks can be deceiving, everyone thought last year the Williams looked really well developed – yet it was a total dog on track.
"In downforce we trust"

Blackout

I thought Renault has sacrified its 2018 program to focus on this car... but RS19 doesn't really look like a new departure, a car made with a very long lead time and increased ressources... and made by a team that needs to find 1s5 seconds or even 0.7s ASAP, because it looks like a direct evolution of the RS.18 which was an underdeveloped (in some areas) and a conservative aero evolution of the RS.17. Only the internals were completely new and different.
The 2018 Sauber looked like one...
I'm not saying it will be slow, I leave that to our aero and design expert carisi2000k.
Enstone wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 00:01
Enstone wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 17:11
Seems like this maybe not the real rear wing...

Where are the red light needed by the new regulation :

https://i87.servimg.com/u/f87/14/79/55/26/f1-20111.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzSmWhcX4AURoO6.jpg
Bingo, i was right ! :D

According to an itw made by Chester for AutoHebdo, the rear wing and other parts are not those who will be running during the test sessions !
You dont say!
The 3d render do not have to be super accurate and it dont have to model small details like the rw red lights...
Yes the real car will be different obviously... but I dont think it will change a lot. It will get refined and updated aero parts like the wings, bargeboards, floor, maybe the sidepod deflectors etc... I look forward for the under-nose turning vanes...

The CGI do model other small details though, like the monocoque edges:
19 - 18

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

carisi2k wrote:
djos wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
let's the on track cars tell the truth, not render

DiogoBrand

carisi2k wrote:
djos wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
When Red Bull presented their 2017 car everyone said "Oh Newey is sooo good, he doesn't even need all those bits and pieces to control the airflow like Ferrari and Mercedes. Not only is this car way more advanced, it is also gonna have way less drag than the others."

A few weeks later we found out that they were having serious correlation problems between wind tunnel, CFD and track, and that's why their car was so underdeveloped.

Goes to show how unbiased those render analysts are. If it comes from Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull, it's automatically brilliant. If it comes from anyone else, it's considered to be crap right away.

Enstone
Enstone

Blackout wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 06:52
I thought Renault has sacrified its 2018 program to focus on this car... but RS19 doesn't really look like a new departure, a car made with a very long lead time and increased ressources... and made by a team that needs to find 1s5 seconds or even 0.7s ASAP, because it looks like a direct evolution of the RS.18 which was an underdeveloped (in some areas) and a conservative aero evolution of the RS.17. Only the internals were completely new and different.
The 2018 Sauber looked like one...
I'm not saying it will be slow, I leave that to our aero and design expert carisi2000k.
Enstone wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 00:01
Enstone wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 17:11
Seems like this maybe not the real rear wing...

Where are the red light needed by the new regulation :

https://i87.servimg.com/u/f87/14/79/55/26/f1-20111.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzSmWhcX4AURoO6.jpg
Bingo, i was right ! :D

According to an itw made by Chester for AutoHebdo, the rear wing and other parts are not those who will be running during the test sessions !
You dont say!
The 3d render do not have to be super accurate and it dont have to model small details like the rw red lights...
Yes the real car will be different obviously... but I dont think it will change a lot. It will get refined and updated aero parts like the wings, bargeboards, floor, maybe the sidepod deflectors etc... I look forward for the under-nose turning vanes...
It won't change, cuz we already have 98% of the RS19 in front of us... there's just some "details" that we gonna look with lots of attention monday morning i hope :D

About the rear wing design, i'm pretty sure they will came with something more agressive like this :

carisi2k

wesley123 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 23:30
carisi2k wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 23:27
The 2017 car you talk about was not a slow car as is was still the third fastest car even with those correlation issues. The work throughout the year turned it from a perennial 5th or 6th in to a race winner.

While sometimes a slick car might not be as good as it looks. A plumper is never fast. The new mclaren looks like it will be faster then the Renault with the same engine. Especially if it convinces alonso to come back.

So when are you going to share actual arguments?
I thought I made my arguments clear that the airbox / engine cover, nose and the sidepod area are too big on the rs19. Oh and the rear wing looks like it is larger for some reason as well even if they are all supposed to be the same or similar.

hollus

Please guys, this is the car thread. About the hardware, follow th efirst post in the thread for guidance. No performance talk, specially meaning no "my team/driver is/isn´t going to win/lose against your team/driver" talk. That goes in the team thread or in separate comparison threads.

Thanks for the understanding. A series of posts that were not about the car in that last few pages are being removed as this is posted.

OK, that was 13 posts poofing out of existence since the last mod intervention... 2 pages ago, so almost every second post.

Re-posting of the first post:
Thunder wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 16:00
This is the Renault F1 R.S. 19 offical car thread.

Please discuss ONLY technical items of this car, and refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery Talk also belongs in the Team Thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27820
Rivals, not enemies.

Blackout

Here a pointless sidepod and undercut comparison.
(*No buttless aerocat on this RS19 render)

But I noticed that the Renault and Mclaren sidepod intake size didnt really decrease, despite the use of Ferrari style inlets (which theoretically help reducing the inlet size) and despite the centerline cooling system (which also help you make the sidepods and their inlets smaller) ... Maybe that means the 2019 PU/thermal engine demands more cooling.

wesley123
wesley123

carisi2k wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 23:39
I thought I made my arguments clear that the airbox / engine cover, nose and the sidepod area are too big on the rs19.
How? The sidepod has a rather big undercut, the airbox isn't really special in that regard either, and neither is the nose.

Oh and the rear wing looks like it is larger for some reason as well even if they are all supposed to be the same or similar.
That's probably because the 2019 rules allow for a larger rear wing.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Blackout

djos wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 06:21
carisi2k wrote:
djos wrote:

The experts who have analysed the renders all seem to agree that the RS.19 is a significant step forward for Renault so I think your pessimism is sorely misplaced - especially in light of a lack of Pre-season testing.

EDIT: Looks can be deceiving, everyone thought last year the Williams looked really well developed – yet it was a total dog on track.
Not all experts. And I noticed that some of the good ones do not really know how, or forgot how the RS.18 looked at the end of the season, they didnt really see the latest 2018 updates, so they are comparing the RS.19 with early versions of the RS.18, not the latest spec/form...

roon
roon

godlameroso wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 00:10
PhillipM wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 00:07
Which is what most teams have done, move cooling up into the airbox area and slim the sidepods, as the airbox no longer blocks the wing as much due to it being higher and wider.
You can only do so much slimming, part of the fun is ensuring the critical areas aren't stagnating under turns.
Makes me think that Renault's horizontal, letterbox airbox opening may perform better in yaw. I wonder if that partly drove their decision. Detachment on the inner face would influence a smaller percentage of the airbox volume.

godlameroso

roon wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 00:18
godlameroso wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 00:10
PhillipM wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 00:07
Which is what most teams have done, move cooling up into the airbox area and slim the sidepods, as the airbox no longer blocks the wing as much due to it being higher and wider.
You can only do so much slimming, part of the fun is ensuring the critical areas aren't stagnating under turns.
Makes me think that Renault's horizontal, letterbox airbox opening may perform better in yaw. I wonder if that partly drove their decision. Detachment on the inner face would influence a smaller percentage of the airbox volume.
You definitely may be on to something, especially if the airflow is for heat exchangers. The compressor doesn't need impeccable ram air. The airflow through the car is also very important.
Saishū kōnā

Blackout

You may say this car has 3 sidepods, or 2 side pods and 1 vertical pod :P
Top intake feeds the compressor with combustion air (central part - red arrow below) and the gearbox oil radiator with cooling air (on the sides - yellow arrow below). So nothing special here.
*This is RS.18
The big ass intake feeds the ERS radiator(s) and/or an engine oil rad... (blue arrow)
But there is a letter box hole intake inside that big one and I dont know what part is it for... maybe it also act as an air exit for the ERS rad...
So there are 5 air inlets at the front
And if you look at the back of these intakes, you'll notice 2 additional channels (red rectangles - the green arrows show their pipes) - letter box hole exit in blue

f1rules
f1rules

So shakedown right now, first video is out