F1 Crankshaft, a closer look

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
coaster

Re: F1 Crankshaft, a closer look

"Timing End Journal 1 - 0 Degrees
Journal 2 - 64 degrees
Journal 3 - 134 Degrees
Journal 4 - 209 Degrees
Journal 5 - 265.5 Degrees"

Has anybody drawn this and been shocked visually by the gap of the last throw to the first?
Its huge, there must be at least 20 degrees of twist over the length.

63l8qrrfy6

Brian.G wrote:
31 May 2019, 15:09
Mudflap wrote:
31 May 2019, 14:06
All F1 engines I know of have used some form of sintered tungsten for crank balance weights. Densamet and another alloy I can't remember seemed to be the more common ones.

Great topic as usual Brian.
One thing I want to add is that the nose fitting functions as an oil centrifugal separator. I am fairly sure that what you have identified as a drilling for cooling the first balance mass is actually the air outlet from the middle of the fitting impeller.
You are correct re air way I would imagine as it would collect there since it is less susceptible to G force. - I'm not sure how the air would actually escape past the vertical o-ringed plugs however but perhaps it would push past the lower o-ring.

Brian,
Paul Morgan's (Ilmor) son has a twitter account where they share pictures of a F1 V10 restoration.
Note a similar device at the crankshaft oil inlet:

echedey

hello brian could you publish or post the dimensions of the crankshaft. diameter and length of the connecting rod and main bearing journals, I would need the dimensions of the crankshaft to make the sketch of my engine.