2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Big Tea

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

I thought the low nose had been branded as dangerous ?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 12:03
The nose isn't any lower than now, or won't be significantly lower (~25mm at most), just the front wing rises to meet it.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 12:04
Big Tea wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 12:03
The nose isn't any lower than now, or won't be significantly lower (~25mm at most), just the front wing rises to meet it.
Thanks.
I thought as it had been mentioned they would take advantage of the change to get it higher.
Not that I want it higher.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Thunder

FrukostScones wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 11:37

I don't care about average joe. I care about my (our) passion.
If they mandate a standart side pod air intake shape (that is what I am reading), that would be pretty damning.
Lookalike cars, no thanks!
I merely wanted to say that Ross Brawn's Job isn't just to satisfy the "Nerds". We need to understand that.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

djos

I love the development race in F1 but this is absolutely the right direction imo. I'm excited!
"In downforce we trust"

jjn9128

Thunder wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 12:08
FrukostScones wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 11:37

I don't care about average joe. I care about my (our) passion.
If they mandate a standart side pod air intake shape (that is what I am reading), that would be pretty damning.
Lookalike cars, no thanks!
I merely wanted to say that Ross Brawn's Job isn't just to satisfy the "Nerds". We need to understand that.
I would say there are a lot of jobs in F1 dependent on that talent having a job to do. Mercedes have something like 300 in their aero department, down to 50-100 at the smaller teams. If they don't have anything to do they're out of a job. There's already fears of massive layoffs if the budget cap comes in, Horner has repeatedly said as much.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

ME4ME

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 13:01
I would say there are a lot of jobs in F1 dependent on that talent having a job to do. Mercedes have something like 300 in their aero department, down to 50-100 at the smaller teams. If they don't have anything to do they're out of a job. There's already fears of massive layoffs if the budget cap comes in, Horner has repeatedly said as much.
Teams have been screaming for years that Formula 1 is unsustainable. Drivers have been screaming that they can't race in dirty air. Media and fans have been screaming that the performance gaps have been too great. Now if some engineers/aerodynamicist have to be placed elsewhere either within their current company or at a backmarker team which potentially does have room within the budget cap than so be it.

AMG.Tzan

I wouldn't say that cars today look all the same! Ferrari and Mercedes have nothing similar...specially their radiators are way different and same goes for their noses both of which are key design differences when comparing two cars!

On the other hand there are Red Bull, McLaren, Renault, Force India who all have the same radiators and the same noses...

So i think there must be some kind of freedom in those two areas because they are both key areas to differentiate two cars!

I like the 2021 rules...i've been asking for ground effect for years now and tbh i still can't understand why they never used it all those years! Thankfully they get rid of the plank...such an ugly and silly solution! Cars before 1994 where so low to the ground, they looked really great!! Also the huge diffusers of the ground effect cars look so nice! =D>
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

jjn9128

AMG.Tzan wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 14:06
I wouldn't say that cars today look all the same! Ferrari and Mercedes have nothing similar...specially their radiators are way different and same goes for their noses both of which are key design differences when comparing two cars!

On the other hand there are Red Bull, McLaren, Renault, Force India who all have the same radiators and the same noses...

So i think there must be some kind of freedom in those two areas because they are both key areas to differentiate two cars!

I like the 2021 rules...i've been asking for ground effect for years now and tbh i still can't understand why they never used it all those years! Thankfully they get rid of the plank...such an ugly and silly solution! Cars before 1994 where so low to the ground, they looked really great!! Also the huge diffusers of the ground effect cars look so nice! =D>
The plank is still there. It just has a different shape and starts further back. They've got rid of the silly plate/tea tray.
#aerogandalf

Just_a_fan

AMG.Tzan wrote:

So you don't understand that the current cars are ground effect cars?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Downvote rather than discuss. Ok, cool.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ENGINE TUNER

djos wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 12:22
I love the development race in F1 but this is absolutely the right direction imo. I'm excited!
We need a development race in f1, just not so much in aero, more so in electrification, and novel tech for the ICE and crazy stuff like cvt transmissions, laser ignition, rotary valve trane, or electromagnetic valve actuation. Stuff like the Williams flywheel.

Maplesoup

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 14:36
AMG.Tzan wrote:

So you don't understand that the current cars are ground effect cars?
I'd argue that nothing is a ground effect car unless it has a fully sealed floor like the old lotus.

Until then they are similar utilizing some ground effect.

jjn9128

Maplesoup wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 16:48
I'd argue that nothing is a ground effect car unless it has a fully sealed floor like the old lotus.

Until then they are similar utilizing some ground effect.
Then your definition of ground effect is wrong. To an aerodynamicist the "ground effect" is simply the increase in normal force (lift/downforce) from proximity to the ground. Current F1 cars are very much in ground effect!
#aerogandalf

PABLOEING

In the engine side.....¿someone know the rules in 2021?....¿more fuel per hour......more engines in a year?