2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
mzso

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Hoffman900 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 23:26
If you downshift a manual sequential transmission too fast it can cause the rear tire tires to lock up momentarily.
How is it different from the paddle shift? Häkkinen memorably botched a gear shift in Hockenheim (I think) and ended up spinning out of the race and crying in the bushes.

Hoffman900

mzso wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 00:44
Hoffman900 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 23:26
If you downshift a manual sequential transmission too fast it can cause the rear tire tires to lock up momentarily.
How is it different from the paddle shift? Häkkinen memorably botched a gear shift in Hockenheim (I think) and ended up spinning out of the race and crying in the bushes.
Not sure about that system, but most paddle shifts now are electronic link. They won’t let you downshift if the revs are at a certain point. A real sequentially manual transmission will, you’re full in control. Maybe some have connection to the ECU for rev matching, but you can still just jam it in.

henry

Three Questions

A potential difference with these cars in comparison with last year’s is the potential to shed downforce/drag at the end of high speed straights. Previously we’ve seen bendy wings and choking diffusers, these have not only reduced drag but also downforce, increasing speeds and reducing the loads on the tyres. How likely is it that they can do something similar with this years cars?

I heard that Pirelli had already increased pressures to 24/21 PSI at the Bahrain test. This rather suggests that the teams are making more high speed downforce than expected and we’ve only just started with this set of regulations. What are the chances that they may need to change regs to trim downforce?

They have carried over the size difference between dry and wet tyres. Since these cars are more sensitive to ride height changes might we see some interesting compromises when it comes to weekends with mixed conditions, particularly differences between qualifying an the race?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

holeindalip

henry wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 15:00
Three Questions

A potential difference with these cars in comparison with last year’s is the potential to shed downforce/drag at the end of high speed straights. Previously we’ve seen bendy wings and choking diffusers, these have not only reduced drag but also downforce, increasing speeds and reducing the loads on the tyres. How likely is it that they can do something similar with this years cars?

I heard that Pirelli had already increased pressures to 24/21 PSI at the Bahrain test. This rather suggests that the teams are making more high speed downforce than expected and we’ve only just started with this set of regulations. What are the chances that they may need to change regs to trim downforce?

They have carried over the size difference between dry and wet tyres. Since these cars are more sensitive to ride height changes might we see some interesting compromises when it comes to weekends with mixed conditions, particularly differences between qualifying an the race?
I have another question to add, what are the chances of the cars getting airborne with the bigger diffusers/venturri tunnels at high speed spins?

Hoffman900

holeindalip wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 19:10
henry wrote:
Three Questions

I have another question to add, what are the chances of the cars getting airborne with the bigger diffusers/venturri tunnels at high speed spins?
There is a chance if they haven’t designed for this. I don’t think F1 / FIA has ever really thought about this.

NASCAR and Indy both put A LOT of energy into looking at this because those cars end up sideways or backwards at 180mph+ on the regular.

NASCAR has added a diffuser to their Next Gen cars and those cars use a diffuser flap that blocks the diffuser when going backwards. You can read about it here: https://www.racecar-engineering.com/art ... odynamics/

karting_john

mzso wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 00:44

it was Monza :D

holeindalip

Hoffman900 wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 19:20
holeindalip wrote:
henry wrote:
Three Questions

There is a chance if they haven’t designed for this. I don’t think F1 / FIA has ever really thought about this.

NASCAR and Indy both put A LOT of energy into looking at this because those cars end up sideways or backwards at 180mph+ on the regular.

NASCAR has added a diffuser to their Next Gen cars and those cars use a diffuser flap that blocks the diffuser when going backwards. You can read about it here: https://www.racecar-engineering.com/art ... odynamics/
Yes, I’ve seen the nascar stuff as this is the first time I’ve watched races in 10 years and I was getting bored of no racing so…..it maybe something that needs addressed…

Stu

holeindalip wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:49
Hoffman900 wrote:
holeindalip wrote:

Yes, I’ve seen the nascar stuff as this is the first time I’ve watched races in 10 years and I was getting bored of no racing so…..it maybe something that needs addressed…
I really hope that it isn’t addressed after an unforeseeable incident!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

holeindalip

Stu wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:00
holeindalip wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:49
Hoffman900 wrote:

I really hope that it isn’t addressed after an unforeseeable incident!!
Agreed…

Spacepace

Although this is off subject in the direction the thread is going. I still think this is a question that deals with aerodynamics... what was the reason for banning hydraulics and inters? Was there an official statement from FIA/FOM why that was excluded from these regulations?

Hoffman900

Spacepace wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 11:33
Although this is off subject in the direction the thread is going. I still think this is a question that deals with aerodynamics... what was the reason for banning hydraulics and inters? Was there an official statement from FIA/FOM why that was excluded from these regulations?
Well considering everything on the car is there to aid or influence the aerodynamics, including the chassis, I think it fits.

They banned them due to costs, but I think it was the dumbest thing they did. Suspension rules should have stayed the same, especially with the switch to the 18” wheels and tires. Inerters have been used in motorsports for 12 years now. It’s not new.

JordanMugen

Spacepace wrote:
what was the reason for banning hydraulics and inters?
Hoffman900 wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 15:14
They banned them due to costs, but I think it was the dumbest thing they did. Suspension rules should have stayed the same, especially with the switch to the 18” wheels and tires. Inerters have been used in motorsports for 12 years now. It’s not new.
Why not ban them though? Engineers, particularly in Formula One with nearly unlimited resources, seem to like adding more complexity to solve their problems but that is not necessarily desirable. A more rudimentary suspension that is more difficult, or even impossible, to tune perfectly for all situations can only be a good thing: both to make sure the cars are not as nice/predictable (in terms of both aero platform and chassis kinematics) and therefore more challenging to drive, and to make the engineers have to put more effort in.

Timtim99

From BBC website, here is an interesting article by their Secret Aerodynamicist and it’s titled

Formula 1 2022: 'Extreme anxiousness and high excitement' before Bahrain GP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60758079

Hoffman900

JordanMugen wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 06:36
Spacepace wrote:
Hoffman900 wrote:
Why not ban them though? Engineers, particularly in Formula One with nearly unlimited resources, seem to like adding more complexity to solve their problems but that is not necessarily desirable. A more rudimentary suspension that is more difficult, or even impossible, to tune perfectly for all situations can only be a good thing: both to make sure the cars are not as nice/predictable (in terms of both aero platform and chassis kinematics) and therefore more challenging to drive, and to make the engineers have to put more effort in.
Why do people equate challening to drive to better racing?

It’s not, the easier to drive the better the racing. The skills don’t go away, they’re just used to battle instead of just holding on. Race cars that are bouncing all over, under steering turning into over steering, etc just looks sloppy.

A Ford Galaxie on bias ply tires at Goodwood looks easier to drive than these cars.
Last edited by Hoffman900 on 16 Mar 2022, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

dans79

Hoffman900 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 15:38
JordanMugen wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 06:36
Spacepace wrote:
Hoffman900 wrote:
Why do people equate challening to drive to better racing?

It’s not, the easier to drive the better the racing. The skills don’t go away, they’re just used to battle instead of just holding on. Race cars that are bouncing all over, under steering turning into over steering, etc just looks sloppy.

A Ford Galaxie on bias ply tires at Goodwood looks easier to drive than these cars.

I have a similar point of view. I watch F1, because it is/was the pinacler of motor racing technology If all I wanted to do was see a bunch of close racing in hard to drive cars, I'd got to the local dirt track.
197 104 103 7