2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 26-28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Restomaniac

Re: 2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 26-28

Dr. Acula wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 12:03
adrianjordan wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 11:55
If that hydraulic fluid got into the back of the Williams, what sort of issues could that cause?
None. Things are sealed good enough so the oil should not reach spots where it could cause any harm. The issue is probably more that the mechanics will need a --- ton of time to clean things up. Imagine the oil flows into a radiator. Have fun cleaning out the fins... :x
Maybe leave it in the intakes though 😜

What oil burning 😂

bosyber

adrianjordan wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 11:54
Restomaniac wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 11:52
This also brings the whole ‘3 components’ issue into play.

What happens if it’s wrecked the battery? Is it fair to penalise a team for something that isn’t totally outside of a normal racing issue?
I don't suppose there is, but they should have a force majeur (spelling??) clause that would allow them to replace any damaged by external (ie not a racing collision etc) events.
Yeah, that would be a good idea, in principle. But, probably means that any accident needs someone assigned blame so the other might be able to claim 'force majeure' ;) Guess one could limit it by specifying 'stewards may assign force majeure exemption in case of track problems, like loose drain covers, causing damage. But, even there: is a curb stone damaging the car then force majeure? Teams would try to argue it, surely.

Just_a_fan

adrianjordan wrote:
If that hydraulic fluid got into the back of the Williams, what sort of issues could that cause?
Compared to the damage below, the hydraulic oil is probably no more than an annoyance that will take time to clean up.

The Williams will need a new floor, possibly a new tub, possibly a new battery. Russell said the engine switched off after the impact - I wonder if that's a safety system for crash protection or the result of damage done. I wonder if Williams will be sending the circuit a big bill...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jonathan King

During the manhole cover "repairs" it looked like they could make a few (half) turns before having to use force. Did they forget to fasten them before FP1?
Last edited by Jonathan King on 26 Apr 2019, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

bosyber wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 12:08
But, even there: is a curb stone damaging the car then force majeure? Teams would try to argue it, surely.
Driving on the kerbs is not obligatory - the drivers do it because it's quicker. Their problem then.

Loose manholes are outside of the drivers' / teams' control so damage caused should be open to a "free" repair of controlled items such as the battery.

Restomaniac

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 12:11
bosyber wrote:
But, even there: is a curb stone damaging the car then force majeure? Teams would try to argue it, surely.
Driving on the kerbs is not obligatory - the drivers do it because it's quicker. Their problem then.

Loose manholes are outside of the drivers' / teams' control so damage caused should be open to a "free" repair of controlled items such as the battery.
Exactly.

saviour stivala

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 12:09
adrianjordan wrote:
Compared to the damage below, the hydraulic oil is probably no more than an annoyance that will take time to clean up.

The Williams will need a new floor, possibly a new tub, possibly a new battery. Russell said the engine switched off after the impact - I wonder if that's a safety system for crash protection or the result of damage done. I wonder if Williams will be sending the circuit a big bill...
I have no doubt that Williams will be sending the circuit the biggest bill possible.

netoperek

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 12:09
adrianjordan wrote:

They sure should send a fat bill covering any direct or indirect costs they'll be facing in result of the incident. This isn't a driver or team mistake by any strech of imagination and as negative results of attacking curbs can be expected and avoided, driving on the track is exactly what the drivers are supposed to do without damaging half of the car. It is only fair that Williams can repair the damage without any other negative consequences, like reducing their part limits.
Speaking of fixing, Williams couldn't produce a new floor for Robert since preseason test, imagine them rebuilding the car for Russel with such limited resources. Great news, as if they weren't screwed enough :(

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Restomaniac

FrukostScones wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 12:24
Haas settles with Sepang Cicuit.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13899 ... ith-sepang
I think that’s a given and Williams will ultimately lose out. Something that Williams cannot afford. Like I say it’s more a case of what happens if they lose a component that will eventually cost them a grid penalty or a retirement (due to a replacement/failure choice).

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
bosyber wrote:

Well, imagine a kerbstones is loosened by one driver (by simply driving over it) and then hits and destroys the next to come by (just like happened here) how would that not be similar. The whole track needs to be suitably fastened, ready to be driven I would say.

Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 12:52
Just_a_fan wrote:
bosyber wrote:

Well, imagine a kerbstones is loosened by one driver (by simply driving over it) and then hits and destroys the next to come by (just like happened here) how would that not be similar. The whole track needs to be suitably fastened, ready to be driven I would say.
Simple answer - the kerbs are outside the race track. The track is the tarmac within the white lines and kerbs are outside of that. If your car is damaged whilst you are driving off the track, that's your problem.

Having said that, I agree that all of the bits of the circuit should be correctly installed / maintained.

Just_a_fan

Chassis change required. No more running today. Don't know what they're referring to with regard to the regulations precluding running until Saturday.
Williams will need to change the chassis because of damage and so regulation dictates he will not be able to run again until Saturday's final practice.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48065053

turbof1

Restomaniac wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 12:33
FrukostScones wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 12:24
Haas settles with Sepang Cicuit.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13899 ... ith-sepang
I think that’s a given and Williams will ultimately lose out. Something that Williams cannot afford. Like I say it’s more a case of what happens if they lose a component that will eventually cost them a grid penalty or a retirement (due to a replacement/failure choice).
I think I can remember something about that when it happened to HAAS. Although they did not have to change a PU component, they would have been allowed to make a free change if needed. But I'm not sure if I am remembering it correctly.

Would be the logical thing to do anyway. This is completely outside the team's responsibility. The team is already unfairly punished regarding putting extra man hours into rebuilding a car, plus given such cases take months to recuperate the financial damage, will put strains on the cash flow as well.
#AeroFrodo