2019 [R09] Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 28-30 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Maritimer

Re: 2019 [R09] Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 28-30 June

Loads of downforce was the biggest thing, Mexico for sure is aero limited even though it has the longest(second longest?) straight on the calendar. The Renault engine "worked better" because it was less powerful and the drivers weren't as traction limited there as elsewhere. Less power meant they were less likely to light up the tires due to reduced aero loads and could get on the power sooner.

It could be that the RB teams and Renault/McL will be closer again to the front pair assuming the chassis cooperate and they can throw enough wing at the cars.

Jolle

Maritimer wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 00:40
Loads of downforce was the biggest thing, Mexico for sure is aero limited even though it has the longest(second longest?) straight on the calendar. The Renault engine "worked better" because it was less powerful and the drivers weren't as traction limited there as elsewhere. Less power meant they were less likely to light up the tires due to reduced aero loads and could get on the power sooner.

It could be that the RB teams and Renault/McL will be closer again to the front pair assuming the chassis cooperate and they can throw enough wing at the cars.
I find it strange that teams can have three different spec ICE's and TC per season (because there isn't a point system anymore and no frozen components) but don't use that option for a high altitude spec TC or a bullit proof one for all the circuits where power doen't matter.

If you'll bundle the GP's into three categories, even when it's just altitude, you could maximise turbo pressure even more.

ENGINE TUNER

Maritimer wrote:

It had nothing at all to do with the Renault PU. The gap the Renault PU has to the other PU'S is lessened in the high altitude, but it has no advantages. The Renault factory cars were not any higher than usual at Mexico.

The RBR was fast in Mexico for the same reason that they were fast in Monaco, their maximum downforce package was superior to the rest of the field and it helped them take care of the tires.

ENGINE TUNER

Mansell89 wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 00:20
Higher altitude this weekend than is the norm. Obviously Mexico is the highest but one thing I wanted to ask about was the Renault PU.

Red Bull have gone very well in Mexico in recent seasons and I recall a comment from Horner about the Renault PU brings stronger there than other tracks. Given they went very nicely in Austria last season too (also with Renault engine), could the likes of Renault & McLaren look forward to an increase in performance this weekend?

Anyone able to help an amateur like me understand why Red Bull Renault was so competitive at those two circuits last year?

Thanks in advance :)
The Renault PU is not better at high altitude, it just isn't as bad as usual. The PU is not at all why they were strong, it is all down to downforce, traction and taking care of the tires.

RBR were not strong(er than Merc) in Austria last year, Merc merely threw away the win with unreliability and poor vsc strategy. HAM had a huge lead, BOT lost hydraulic pressure and parked it in the worst possible place for his teammate, Merc chose not to pit under vsc and the tires did not like to be pushed hard last year.

drunkf1fan

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 02:34
Maritimer wrote:

It had nothing at all to do with the Renault PU. The gap the Renault PU has to the other PU'S is lessened in the high altitude, but it has no advantages. The Renault factory cars were not any higher than usual at Mexico.

The RBR was fast in Mexico for the same reason that they were fast in Monaco, their maximum downforce package was superior to the rest of the field and it helped them take care of the tires.

Yup, gap between Renault and Merc/Ferrari was bigger than usual and the gap between Renault and RBR was ridiculous. RBR were out in the distance because they had the least graining overall, Ferrari had worse front tire graining but rear tires held up well so they still had decent traction while the Merc had worse rear tire graining and struggled to get power down. Everyone behind them had hilariously bad graining and couldn't do anything on either tire.

I think where say most races Renault were 1 second a lap slower than those at the front in Mexico they were like 3 seconds a lap off the pace. That race was primarily about tires. Another example of the tires being dire last year as well, when even the front team has bad graining, just no where near as bad, and the 4th fastest team have a 3 second gap vs usual 1 second, the tires were completely and utterly unsuitable.

spin1/2

Am I the only one loving this season?
LH is dominating like the days of RBR-Seb & Ferrari-MSc. He's got 6 wins in 8 races, & hasn't finished below 2nd place. You got to be kiddin me!
This could turn out to be an all-time great driver season. The record for most race wins in a season is 13 (Seb '13, MSC '04). LH needs 7 or 8 more wins for that record. While Belgium & Italy play better into Ferrari's strengths, the remaining 11 races are all for the taking. The only hurdle would be Ferrari turning their car around by summer break.
It only gets more exciting, as LH is on pace to reach 91 wins by next season!

JPBD1990

spin1/2 wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 07:45
LH is dominating like the days of RBR-Seb & Ferrari-MSc. He's got 6 wins in 8 races, & hasn't finished below 2nd place. You got to be kiddin me!
This could turn out to be an all-time great driver season. The record for most race wins in a season is 13 (Seb '13, MSC '04). LH needs 7 or 8 more wins for that record. While Belgium & Italy play better into Ferrari's strengths, the remaining 11 races are all for the taking. The only hurdle would be Ferrari turning their car around by summer break.
I feel sorry for you if that’s what you’re excited for.

NathanOlder

JPBD1990 wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 08:44
spin1/2 wrote:
If he's a fan of that, then there's nothing wrong with that. He's loving the season. It's you that he should feel sorry for, as you are clearly not enjoying the season then. In any sport, if your team is winning, it's great and a lot of fans want to crush the opposition. Hamilton is close to breaking Schumachers untouchable records and all spin1/2 was saying is we should embrace it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

aran.vtec

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 08:51
JPBD1990 wrote:
spin1/2 wrote:
If he's a fan of that, then there's nothing wrong with that. He's loving the season. It's you that he should feel sorry for, as you are clearly not enjoying the season then. In any sport, if your team is winning, it's great and a lot of fans want to crush the opposition. Hamilton is close to breaking Schumachers untouchable records and all spin1/2 was saying is we should embrace it.
Also considering that there was only 19/18 races a season would be better to work off percentages,

please don't get us wrong Lewis is one of of the all time greats but half of the Job was done but being in the right team at the right time.

Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:
spin1/2 wrote:
Yep. He will leave an unfillable hole when he’s gone. Surely better to enjoy it now than look back when he’s gone?

Yes he moans and complains and has a look that some find questionable but by god can he drive. He is currently in red hot form and I can’t see past another win for him in Austria (DNF’s aside).
Last edited by Restomaniac on 27 Jun 2019, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

Restomaniac

aran.vtec wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 08:54
NathanOlder wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:

Also considering that there was only 19/18 races a season would be better to work off percentages,

please don't get us wrong Lewis is one of of the all time greats but half of the Job was done but being in the right team at the right time.
Thats a fair point however when 1 driver’s amount of poles is only 1 behind the entire field and likely to be tied again (I expect him to grab pole again) in this GP then it screams class of the field.

The problem is that Hamilton looks frightening (in terms) ATM and he is normally better in the second half of the season. That doesn’t bode well for a close run WCC or WDC.

falonso81

As a Ferrari fan, it hurts me that Merc and Ham are walking away with it again this year. I don't hate on Hamilton as some others do, but I hope he can get some competition from another driver. When is the last time someone pushed Hamilton really hard in a race; I remember Bahrain 2014...

LM10

Restomaniac wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 08:56
NathanOlder wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:

Yep. He will leave an unfillable hole when he’s gone. Surely better to enjoy it now than look back when he’s gone?

Yes he moans and complains and has a look that some find questionable but by god can he drive. He is currently in red hot form and I can’t see past another win for him in Austria (DNF’s aside).
Remove Hamilton, let only Bottas drive for Mercedes and it would be the Finn winning a (probably) record braking amount of races this season.
What Hamilton does is to crush his team mate, as he’s been doing since 2014. A bit of a shame because a driver among all time greats should face more competition in order to guarantee more excitement.

Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 09:34

What Hamilton does is to crush his team mate, as he’s been doing since 2014. A bit of a shame because a driver among all time greats should face more competition in order to guarantee more excitement.
What, like Schumacher? :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GPR-A

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 10:02
LM10 wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 09:34

What, like Schumacher? :lol:
How many drivers can claim they fought with 5 world champions (Senna, Hill, Villeneuve, Mika and Alonso) in a straight battle for a championship, year over year?