Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Macklaren

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Looks like ALO to Renault is pretty much confirmed with both their Twitter activity today so this seals the musical chairs. VET is retiring as expected.

jumpingfish

And what if Ric is going back to RB? iirc Marko said about Vettel: NO. But about Ric he said they missed his jokes and funny atmosphere in the team. If Alonso and Renault not only joke in twitter and Vettel jumps to McLaren, then Ric can go back to family :D

Racer X

Starscreamer wrote:
13 May 2020, 10:16
What I hope..
Max to Ferrari or Alonso to Ferrari.

What I expected....
Sainz to Ferrari.
Vettel to McLaren for big cash.
Sainz for some reason just makes sense but i wonder if they would bring in some one more experienced liked Ricciardo or even maybe poach for Bottas and we could see the driver swap with Merc.

For Mercedes that would be an ideal situation 2 World Champions and one of them German fighting to be the most dominant driver in recent history and at the start of a new 'Era'. Which could lead to a strong and amazing fight for 1st and 2nd with a lot of media coverage and guarantee they have the best 2 drivers currently at least for the next few seasons. If they take Vettel for Bottas, Merc would be giving fans some real entertainment. For 2021 which would be amazing for us fans.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Scorpaguy

Ham vs Vet...in any car, Ham is the safe bet. Ham crushing Vet at Merc? Vet certainly seems to routinely have had the measure of Bot in recent years. So, hypothetical comparisons between Ham and Vet would not have me use the word "crush". IMHO.

Just_a_fan

Anyone half-expecting Sainz to make life tricky for Leclerc? It would be ironic (and jolly funny) if he turned up and actually proved to be quicker than the young hopeful.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

wesley123 wrote:
13 May 2020, 16:46
Mamba wrote:
13 May 2020, 14:36
What Leclerc has in his favour is he is young and can learn from mistakes. He has shown himself capable of that and in wheel to wheel action. He has time and will only improve. Vettel never really seemed to adjust to a car that isn't planted at the rear. He is older and less willing or capable to adjust to a new way of driving (why should he, he got four titles that way but the Hybrids handle differently...).
I think that here is the big difference; They both had good results, bad results and made mistakes. Their seasons were relatively equal in that regard.

What has made the difference here is the mistakes; from a youngster you can expect these things. From an experienced driver you expect him to be consistent and mistakes are less tolerable. We saw the memes of Vettel spinning, but hardly anyone mentioned how Leclerc's performance at his home grand prix was an absolute farce, if it was even mentioned it was met with a 'he still has things to learn'.

And that is how it will make seasons appear differently; the expectations you have, and can epxect, from a driver.
To be fair in the Monaco race, it was 100% a Ferrari screw up on Saturday. And Charles said before the race he will go 100% and risk everything. If you start last and play it safe in monaco, you finish well outside the top 10. so he had to go for it
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

jumpingfish

NathanOlder wrote:
13 May 2020, 18:29
wesley123 wrote:
Mamba wrote:
What Leclerc has in his favour is he is young and can learn from mistakes. He has shown himself capable of that and in wheel to wheel action. He has time and will only improve. Vettel never really seemed to adjust to a car that isn't planted at the rear. He is older and less willing or capable to adjust to a new way of driving (why should he, he got four titles that way but the Hybrids handle differently...).
I think that here is the big difference; They both had good results, bad results and made mistakes. Their seasons were relatively equal in that regard.

What has made the difference here is the mistakes; from a youngster you can expect these things. From an experienced driver you expect him to be consistent and mistakes are less tolerable. We saw the memes of Vettel spinning, but hardly anyone mentioned how Leclerc's performance at his home grand prix was an absolute farce, if it was even mentioned it was met with a 'he still has things to learn'.

And that is how it will make seasons appear differently; the expectations you have, and can epxect, from a driver.
To be fair in the Monaco race, it was 100% a Ferrari screw up on Saturday. And Charles said before the race he will go 100% and risk everything. If you start last and play it safe in monaco, you finish well outside the top 10. so he had to go for it
It's true about Monaco but in 2018 Verstappen also started last there but he got 2 points (9th place) without crash. And Max is not the guy that will drive without risks

TAG

GPR-A wrote:
13 May 2020, 17:20
PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2020, 17:01
GPR-A wrote:
13 May 2020, 16:40
WOLFF: WE CANNOT IGNORE THIS DEVELOPMENT WITH VETTEL

It would be good to see Vettel at Mercedes, fighting with Hamilton with the same machinery.
I would love too but I'm afraid the novelty would wear off pretty fast after he gets quickly dominated by Hamilton. It might actually seem pityful the once amazing Vettel getting pummelled constantly. Not to mention he and Lewis are good pals too, so it would be another friendship destroyed.
I have said this a few times and I repeat. When the car is to his liking, Vettel is on par with Hamilton. It's when the car is not to his comfort is when he gets outshone by Hamilton. We have seen a similar performance from Bottas when the car was good and stable, he outqualified Hamilton a few times. It was the same case with Nico too. When Mercedes has made divas that are difficult to setup and difficult to bring it to the sweet performance window, Hamilton outshines his team mates. It's a hallmark of a great driver, but things become even when the car is easy to manure.
So, if Vettel joins and the car is built really nice and easy to setup, there is every possibility that he might be on par with Hamilton.
And that's what we really want to see in the sport, a car that's easy to drive so the playing field is balanced. :wtf:
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GPR-A

TAG wrote:
13 May 2020, 18:46
GPR-A wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2020, 17:01

I would love too but I'm afraid the novelty would wear off pretty fast after he gets quickly dominated by Hamilton. It might actually seem pityful the once amazing Vettel getting pummelled constantly. Not to mention he and Lewis are good pals too, so it would be another friendship destroyed.
I have said this a few times and I repeat. When the car is to his liking, Vettel is on par with Hamilton. It's when the car is not to his comfort is when he gets outshone by Hamilton. We have seen a similar performance from Bottas when the car was good and stable, he outqualified Hamilton a few times. It was the same case with Nico too. When Mercedes has made divas that are difficult to setup and difficult to bring it to the sweet performance window, Hamilton outshines his team mates. It's a hallmark of a great driver, but things become even when the car is easy to manure.
So, if Vettel joins and the car is built really nice and easy to setup, there is every possibility that he might be on par with Hamilton.
And that's what we really want to see in the sport, a car that's easy to drive so the playing field is balanced. :wtf:
No matter what you want, the engineers want to build cars that way as every driver, every single driver wants a car that feels like a dream. Some teams manage to churn that out, sometimes consistently which allows some not so great drivers (but really good drivers) to excel. You don't expect Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari to churn out dogs with all that talent, resources and budget just so that great drivers are born. Do you?

Just_a_fan

GPR-A wrote:

If that's what it takes then he isn't on a par with Hamilton, almost by definition.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

langedweil

TAG wrote:
13 May 2020, 18:46
=D>
Correct, that already exists in other classes with equal material ...
F1 needs a serious twist in power-to-weight ratio to make the cars absolutely insane, the wild stallions that only the bravest of the brave dare to challenge at .. well, not even close to the max.
That's where the boys get separated from the men ...
HuggaWugga !

ENGINE TUNER

NathanOlder wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Mamba wrote:

Only people who understand F1 would grasp such a thing, vettel apologists couldn't comprehend, probably too busy studying points tables.

PlatinumZealot

GPR-A wrote:

The Mercedes is nicely balanced..... Qualifying might be close... But... We know Vettel has red mist with teammates on an even terms, then the mistakes come in and he gets weaker. Also have to consider that Lewis is a bully on the track. I don't see Vettel keeping his sanity after a few drubbings by Lewis.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GPR-A

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 May 2020, 00:50
GPR-A wrote:

The Mercedes is nicely balanced..... Qualifying might be close... But... We know Vettel has red mist with teammates on an even terms, then the mistakes come in and he gets weaker. Also have to consider that Lewis is a bully on the track. I don't see Vettel keeping his sanity after a few drubbings by Lewis.
How do we find out if that fantasy is true?

Mclarensenna

NathanOlder wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Mamba wrote:

yes i agree 100% screw up by Ferrari and Leclerc only had 2 options at that point.
1. Drive very safe and cautious and finish outside the top 10 and get zero points.
2. Drive super aggressive and hope luck is on your side to maybe grab a point or 2.

Compare this to Vettel spinning with no contact fighting Ham on a very wide track in Bahrain
Or Vettel spinning in absolute clear air on his own in Italy with leclerc winning and vettel nowhere at the end. Not to mention Vettel was the 50 million driver with 10 years experience yet he made much bigger rookie mistakes.