Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jumpingfish

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Uh I also forgot about domination in Germany-2019, someone finished in the wall and another made 20->2

alexx_88

Macklaren wrote:
12 May 2020, 20:16
Yes I hope McLaren doesn't end up with a vacant seat if they are not able to afford RIC and he stays with Renault. They don't even have a real third driver right now.
I personally think the Mclaren seat is the one to have if you can't get in the top 3 teams. Excellent organizational structure now and seem perfectly adapted already to functioning within the budget restrictions that are about to come.

NathanOlder

UlleGulle wrote:
13 May 2020, 12:35
Just a question. When did Ferrari last field two drivers with only two race-wins between them? Jean Alesi and Gerhard Berger?
Berger had plenty more than 2 wins when he joined Alesi at Ferrari, at a guess I'd say as many as 10. So it would have been 1992, when they used 3 drivers in total. 2 of which never ever won a race, and the 3rd only won 1 race 3yrs later. So in 1992 they fielded 2 cars with 0 wins. Alesi, Capelli and Larini

Edit: just checked, Berger had 8 wins by the time he joined Ferrari in 1993
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Mamba

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
13 May 2020, 13:15
Who was clearly better in Bahrain? France? Austria? Silverstone? Spa? Monza? Singapore? Russia? And several others. Do you people watch the points table or the races? LEC was much better, made less mistakes AND suffered more from reliability/Ferrari mistakes. It was complete DOMINATION. A domination that we haven't seen a multi wdc driver suffer since RIC DOMINATED Vettel in 2014. Stop looking at silly points table and watch the races. Vettel got his pants pulled down and his backside spanked by a 2nd year driver.
Both had Equal amount of retirements at the end of the season. Vettel had more quali related difficulties. Leclerc made several mistakes too during the season. Vettel was better or at least Equal in Singapore and Russia. Discounting races like Suzuka and Mexico where Vettel was better certainly aids your argument. Fact is, Vettel was more consistent at the start of the year in tyre management, but Leclerc got the better results more often. Once the car started performing Vettel started producing better results too. It wasn't the domination you want it to be.

What Leclerc has in his favour is he is young and can learn from mistakes. He has shown himself capable of that and in wheel to wheel action. He has time and will only improve. Vettel never really seemed to adjust to a car that isn't planted at the rear. He is older and less willing or capable to adjust to a new way of driving (why should he, he got four titles that way but the Hybrids handle differently...).

hudnut

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
13 May 2020, 12:32
If you watched 2019 and think VET and LEC are"in same level" then you should stop watching F1, because you are wasting your time watching something that you don't understand.
Wow. Just wow. So you "respectfully disagree" then.

Scorpaguy

If cooler heads could prevail, I would suspect that data would support the conclusion that Vet and Lec, while not equal (no 2 humans are identical), are peers in terms of driver skill. For some reason, Vet gets smashed in these forums for being a crash happy no-talent fool and Lec being the second coming. 24 points separated them in one season of equal equipment. A significant difference but not a capitol offence. Vettel crashes...yes. Lec crashes as well (search "Monaco"). Rain masters...neither of them! As for Vet's departure, no suspense there...simply a euro based decision in hard times on one side and an unhappy driver on the other side. Only one outcome could be expected.

GPR-A

hudnut wrote:
13 May 2020, 14:38
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
13 May 2020, 12:32
If you watched 2019 and think VET and LEC are"in same level" then you should stop watching F1, because you are wasting your time watching something that you don't understand.
Wow. Just wow. So you "respectfully disagree" then.
Well, I would call that anything but respectful.

PlatinumZealot

maxxer wrote:
13 May 2020, 00:50
I am just guessing but the brand Ferrari needs a person to promote it and Vettel just escaping driving his mini van having no social media profile is not really helping
Yeah. Definitely was a factor in negotiations the huge pile of money Vettel took over the years.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GPR-A

WOLFF: WE CANNOT IGNORE THIS DEVELOPMENT WITH VETTEL
“Sebastian is a great driver, a major personality and an asset to any Formula 1 team,” said Wolff, in quotes provided by Mercedes.

The Austrian is currently in negotiations with six times world champion Lewis Hamilton over a new deal.

“When looking to the future, our first loyalty lies with the current Mercedes drivers but naturally we must take this development into consideration.”
It would be good to see Vettel at Mercedes, fighting with Hamilton with the same machinery.

wesley123

Mamba wrote:
13 May 2020, 14:36
What Leclerc has in his favour is he is young and can learn from mistakes. He has shown himself capable of that and in wheel to wheel action. He has time and will only improve. Vettel never really seemed to adjust to a car that isn't planted at the rear. He is older and less willing or capable to adjust to a new way of driving (why should he, he got four titles that way but the Hybrids handle differently...).
I think that here is the big difference; They both had good results, bad results and made mistakes. Their seasons were relatively equal in that regard.

What has made the difference here is the mistakes; from a youngster you can expect these things. From an experienced driver you expect him to be consistent and mistakes are less tolerable. We saw the memes of Vettel spinning, but hardly anyone mentioned how Leclerc's performance at his home grand prix was an absolute farce, if it was even mentioned it was met with a 'he still has things to learn'.

And that is how it will make seasons appear differently; the expectations you have, and can epxect, from a driver.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

notsofast

GPR-A wrote:
13 May 2020, 16:40
It would be good to see Vettel at Mercedes, fighting with Hamilton with the same machinery.
It would also be good to see Vettel at Mercedes, in charge of something like their junior development program. Might be better for his life/work balance.

DChemTech

Scorpaguy wrote:
13 May 2020, 15:46
If cooler heads could prevail, I would suspect that data would support the conclusion that Vet and Lec, while not equal (no 2 humans are identical), are peers in terms of driver skill. For some reason, Vet gets smashed in these forums for being a crash happy no-talent fool and Lec being the second coming. 24 points separated them in one season of equal equipment. A significant difference but not a capitol offence. Vettel crashes...yes. Lec crashes as well (search "Monaco"). Rain masters...neither of them! As for Vet's departure, no suspense there...simply a euro based decision in hard times on one side and an unhappy driver on the other side. Only one outcome could be expected.
Some people here (not calling any names.. :P) just seem to really, really dislike Vettel, and as such blow any mistake he made in the past years out of proportion and act like it's the indisputable truth and you are a waste of good oxygen if you don't agree. Every driver has their groupies and haters, I guess. But in my opinion, in no circumstance does having 4 world titles make you a poor driver - and winning Monza in a toro rosso might not make you a rain master, it certainly speaks of some skill. I think a more reasonable assessment of the situation, that has been put forward here before, is that he just couldn't deal with the current generation of cars (in particular behavior of the back end) to the full extent, and hence has indeed struggled keeping up with Leclerc and Ricciardo - whilst in the previous generation he would dominate teammates. That doesn't make him a terrible driver as some claim - when he had a good day in these cars, he would still be really quick and deserving of the Ferrari seat. But yeah, it also led to some poor, mistake-riddled races.

PlatinumZealot

GPR-A wrote:
“Sebastian is a great driver, a major personality and an asset to any Formula 1 team,” said Wolff, in quotes provided by Mercedes.

The Austrian is currently in negotiations with six times world champion Lewis Hamilton over a new deal.

“When looking to the future, our first loyalty lies with the current Mercedes drivers but naturally we must take this development into consideration.”
I would love too but I'm afraid the novelty would wear off pretty fast after he gets quickly dominated by Hamilton. It might actually seem pityful the once amazing Vettel getting pummelled constantly. Not to mention he and Lewis are good pals too, so it would be another friendship destroyed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2020, 17:01
GPR-A wrote:

I would love too but I'm afraid the novelty would wear off pretty fast after he gets quickly dominated by Hamilton. It might actually seem pityful the once amazing Vettel getting pummelled constantly. Not to mention he and Lewis are good pals too, so it would be another friendship destroyed.
Yes. My fear then would be Seb 'takes it personal' and is more concerned with his fight with Lewis than getting the best result. We saw Seb with a red mist a couple of times, and I dont know Toto would really consider him after thinking it through. That aside, I would like it to be.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GPR-A

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2020, 17:01
GPR-A wrote:

I have said this a few times and I repeat. When the car is to his liking, Vettel is on par with Hamilton. It's when the car is not to his comfort is when he gets outshone by Hamilton. We have seen a similar performance from Bottas when the car was good and stable, he outqualified Hamilton a few times. It was the same case with Nico too. When Mercedes has made divas that are difficult to setup and difficult to bring it to the sweet performance window, Hamilton outshines his team mates. It's a hallmark of a great driver, but things become even when the car is easy to manure.
So, if Vettel joins and the car is built really nice and easy to setup, there is every possibility that he might be on par with Hamilton.