2021 Miami race announced

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Re: 2021 Miami race announced

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 15:54
dans79 wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:59
I sense some typical south Florida political positioning is going on here.
https://www.pitpass.com/66092/Miami-rac ... to-trouble
Wow, that's some dangerous sport, that F1!
"Don't allow F1 promoters to come in and roll over us over, like we're not even humans," she added. "They can produce all kinds of phony statements about how they can mitigate the deadly effects, but we can never erase deadly health damage, and possibly permanent hearing loss, especially to children. Even the county's own study verifies the deadly effects.
Small town politicians are the same the world over. Any chance to grandstand for their own benefit is taken with both hands. :roll:
apparently she has never heard of earplugs, or how to calculate the intensity of a sound wave a given distance away.
I = P/(4π r2)
197 104 103 7

RZS10

What deadly health effects does F1 have ...apart from a car hitting you if you run onto the track like some halfwit? Ever since we have the hybrids the cars are 'quiet'

dans79

RZS10 wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 16:28
What deadly health effects does F1 have ...apart from a car hitting you if you run onto the track like some halfwit? Ever since we have the hybrids the cars are 'quiet'
The 2 people opposing it are small town politicians/busy bodies, most likely neither of them knows anything about F1.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

dans79 wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 16:52
RZS10 wrote:
The 2 people opposing it are small town politicians/busy bodies, most likely neither of them knows anything about F1.
Take them on a freebee to one of the other city sites and let them speak to the town council/ Should change their mind (or slam it shut)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

adrianjordan

RZS10 wrote:
Only compared to older generations of cars. They're still loud by anyone's standards though, especially 20+ of them!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

bill shoe

Miami mayor has vetoed restrictions on race. So now more likely that race will actually occur.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00581

MtthsMlw

bill shoe

George Costanza to Jerry Seinfeld-
Do women know about-- shrinkage?
Track layout is now on stadium land only, no surrounding perimeter roads. See layout in post above.

https://racer.com/2020/01/21/miami-gp-t ... residents/

EDIT: maybe too pessimistic. Using convenient football field for scale, the top (straight) straight is about 1300 m, and the bottom (curvy) straight is ~ 1350 m.

Just_a_fan

Three places where a straight leads to a tight corner - T1 (having potentially set up the move coming out of the turn at the end of the straight straight), the end of the curvy straight, and the end of the straight straight itself. Of course, the key will be getting close enough coming on to the preceding straight, but if the 2021 cars deliver on the FIA's promise, then that shouldn't be so difficult.

I could see drivers using the straight straight to close up, then run the last corner and long curve as close as possible before the outbraking attempt in T1. That's going to be a fun watch with some possibilities of some classic moves as well as some classic drops!

This track might actually produce some good racing if the 2021 cars work out.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

are they no still going to retain DRS?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

dans79 wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 17:59
wesley123 wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 17:46
I'm going to be cynical here in this thread of positivity;

Again?! Seems like Liberty Media really really really really really really really wants a race in Miami, and specifically in Miami. No, not a race in the Northern states to distribute the race on both sides of the United States, in Miami. You read that correct. Miami. Miami Miami Miami anywhere else in the US sucks by default, as does anywhere on the globe. Miami is where it's at! Not New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas or whatever, if you compare it to the great Miami none of those cities mean anything. No, it has to be in Miami.
If you are in the NE part of the country, then Montreal is for you. If you are in the central part of the country, then Austin is your race.

They have nothing in the SE, and the only major metropolitan areas in that part of the country are Miami and Atlanta. If you have ever driven in and around Atlanta, you know it's not something you want to subject the average tourist to.

On the West coast The most likely city would be in California, but good luck getting anything done in that state, with its thousands of layers of red tape.
Vegas

dans79

Zynerji wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 20:55
dans79 wrote:
On the West coast The most likely city would be in California, but good luck getting anything done in that state, with its thousands of layers of red tape.
Vegas
They did Vegas before, it wasn't good, as it was a flat parking lot turned into a track.

The Vegas motor speedway wouldn't be great either as it has progressive 12-20°, and at only 1.5 miles in length the infield is tiny and not well laid out.

People talk about the strip, but no way is the city going to close the strip down for hours at a time.
197 104 103 7

strad

I believe Baku made $500 mil off their races. Show them that and I bet the greedy jerks will change their minds right quick.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

dans79 wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 21:08
Zynerji wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 20:55
dans79 wrote:
Vegas
They did Vegas before, it wasn't good, as it was a flat parking lot turned into a track.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/07/e9/7a ... ea248d.jpg

The Vegas motor speedway wouldn't be great either as it has progressive 12-20°, and at only 1.5 miles in length the infield is tiny and not well laid out.

People talk about the strip, but no way is the city going to close the strip down for hours at a time.
From what I read, Vegas is one of the top 3 growing cities in the US. There are enough reasons to build a new track there, as F1, IndyCar, NASCAR, and the various Moto categories would all be likely to schedule a race there.

bill shoe

dans79 wrote:
I was sitting in the bleachers on the left, middle-section bottom-row! Good way for an 10-yo kid to see his first F1 race! Ticket was $11 and my parents just dropped me off by myself. That was normal then!

The mind-blowing thing about this picture is the amount of open undeveloped land in the immediate vicinity of the Strip.