2019 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 15-17 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2019 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 15-17 November

Wass85 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 13:37
izzy wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 12:43
turbof1 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 12:03
Maybe if he had another round around the circuit. What I noticed was that Verstappen came from several car lengths behind and just closed the gap to Hamilton on the main straight. Even though DRS was at play for Verstappen, Hamilton really looked extremely slow on the straight. Maybe if he had more space and time to widen the gap further, but I do think the chance would still be quite significant Verstappen could have gotten him.
what happened was that the mode they gave him to actually make the undercut had used all the battery, so he didn't have any left to defend up the hill, that's what made it so easy for Max. Lewis complained a bit about this on the radio
That's another strategic error from Mercedes, surely they should have boxed a couple of laps later to ensure they cleared Leclerc.
By the tie Lewis had cleared Leclerc to be able to pit and come out in front of him, Red Bull would have pitted Max and kept the lead, so no they had to do it the way they did to get the undercut on Max.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Capharol

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... e-notebook

for the fans of Teds Notebook.....
if you are not able to see it because you are not in England ... use VPN

Jolle

Vettel165 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 10:27
Both were guilty. Charles and Seb. Charles being an jerk pushing Seb so to the right while having tons of space to the left. And Seb while already ahead going left a little bit.

But you can see the Charles steering wheel. He was rotating also the the right unnecesarilly. It was racing accident.

https://postimages.org/
Watch the video from the onboard not just a single image. Leclerc went straight on, his steering wheel was shaking a bit, he wasn't in any way steering towards Vettel. It was just Vettel not knowing how to steer a car in a straight line and/or has no spacial awareness.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/119634856 ... et%3DTweet

In contrast, drivers like Hamilton, Ricciardo who both f-ed up today, were very clear who was at fault at their incidents.

I think it's quite telling that Verstappen, who is in a slower car and has the name to crash a lot is above both of the Ferrari drives in the standings.

Spacepace

Wasn't a fan of the first safety car. Understand that a crane was being used but the car was completely out of the way. I hope for the sport that there was no influence to add excitement by spicing things up like some other racing series :roll:

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 12:38
I'm frustrated with his defending though but I'm sure Verstappen would have passed Hamilton anyway in the next DRS zone had he held him off in to the first corner.
He had no chance against Vestappen who had DRS, a stronger engine, better tyres and ERS energy available. The only way he'd have stopped him passing would have been to drive in to him.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wass85

NathanOlder wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 13:53
Wass85 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 13:37
izzy wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 12:43

what happened was that the mode they gave him to actually make the undercut had used all the battery, so he didn't have any left to defend up the hill, that's what made it so easy for Max. Lewis complained a bit about this on the radio
That's another strategic error from Mercedes, surely they should have boxed a couple of laps later to ensure they cleared Leclerc.
By the tie Lewis had cleared Leclerc to be able to pit and come out in front of him, Red Bull would have pitted Max and kept the lead, so no they had to do it the way they did to get the undercut on Max.
Probably so but like a poster just said, Hamilton would have been better off waiting until the DRS zone to make the pass. Woulda, coulda, shoulda though. Hats off to Max for executing the perfect race.

Mamba

Jolle wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 14:01
Vettel165 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 10:27
Both were guilty. Charles and Seb. Charles being an jerk pushing Seb so to the right while having tons of space to the left. And Seb while already ahead going left a little bit.

But you can see the Charles steering wheel. He was rotating also the the right unnecesarilly. It was racing accident.

https://postimages.org/
Watch the video from the onboard not just a single image. Leclerc went straight on, his steering wheel was shaking a bit, he wasn't in any way steering towards Vettel. It was just Vettel not knowing how to steer a car in a straight line and/or has no spacial awareness.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/119634856 ... et%3DTweet

In contrast, drivers like Hamilton, Ricciardo who both f-ed up today, were very clear who was at fault at their incidents.

I think it's quite telling that Verstappen, who is in a slower car and has the name to crash a lot is above both of the Ferrari drives in the standings.
Leclerc gave Vettel very little room on his side. Vettel overtook him and wanted to apply the squeeze to give him better space for the braking zone and to destabilse Leclerc from a comeback under braking. Vettel is the one who could have avoided the accident, but Leclerc certainly did nothing to help things. Had Vettel waited a second or two later and Leclerc gave him half a meter more space nothing would have come of it.

With regards to Verstappen, he had one bad race in Mexico where he messed up. And that Red Bull is not a slower car at all. It has been the more consistant challenger on race day and for the whole season. Not only on certain tracks and only after the summer break. Red Bull operationally has also been far better than Ferrari.

GPR-A

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 14:30
Wass85 wrote:
I'm frustrated with his defending though but I'm sure Verstappen would have passed Hamilton anyway in the next DRS zone had he held him off in to the first corner.
He had no chance against Vestappen who had DRS, a stronger engine, better tyres and ERS energy available. The only way he'd have stopped him passing would have been to drive in to him.
Basically, a fast car and a good strategy call sealed the race. Hamilton couldn't have done more than he did.

SiLo

GPR -A wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 15:06
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 14:30
Wass85 wrote:
Basically, a fast car and a good strategy call sealed the race. Hamilton couldn't have done more than he did.
Most likely. Maybe he could have waited until the next corner to overtake Leclerc, got the DRS and then probably had the pace to keep Verstappen behind, but he didn't so that's that.
Felipe Baby!

El Scorchio

Either way, a completely unnecessary safety car had a huge impact on the race dynamic and the race result. It also led directly to the need for the second safety car.

While it was a lot of fun action for a casual viewer and a way to put the sport across as action packed, you really have to question the motives behind sending the SC out in the first place. Was it really for safety, when VSC or double yellows would more than likely have sufficed given where Bottas diligently parked his car, or was it for entertainment value?

I do wonder if stewards and race director are told behind the scenes by the F1 top brass that creating drama, talking points and clicks on news stories is good for the sport and it's global profile...

Capharol

El Scorchio wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 15:52
Either way, a completely unnecessary safety car had a huge impact on the race dynamic and the race result. It also led directly to the need for the second safety car.

While it was a lot of fun action for a casual viewer and a way to put the sport across as action packed, you really have to question the motives behind sending the SC out in the first place. Was it really for safety, when VSC or double yellows would more than likely have sufficed given where Bottas diligently parked his car, or was it for entertainment value?

I do wonder if stewards and race director are told behind the scenes by the F1 top brass that creating drama, talking points and clicks on news stories is good for the sport and it's global profile...
you are finding it unneccessary and then question WHY they sending out the SC (which is already answered i believe)

but anyway again.... the first SC HAD to come out because the car of Bottas couldn't be moved manually and a crane was needed <---- THIS has the immediate effect that a SC is coming out, its anchored in the safety regulations (due to the Bianchi accident probably)

So it was all okay that the SC came out and not discussable at all

loner

funny how one car parking one meter away from the exit(Bottas) needed a lengthy SC and 3 cars 2 of them with big damages SC deployed and ended so fast.
para bellum.

SiLo

I think they could be smarter with the deployment in case of the truck. The truck was not only on the inside of the corner, it never actually entered a part of the track where it could be hit I don't think. It pretty much parked in the gap and extended the arm to the car and picked it up.

Whilst I understand the rules for why the safety car was there, it really wasn't needed and a VSC would have sufficed.
Felipe Baby!

SiLo

A frame by frame showing the line that Vettel and Leclerc took before they collided.
Felipe Baby!

Restomaniac

Capharol wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 16:01
El Scorchio wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 15:52

you are finding it unneccessary and then question WHY they sending out the SC (which is already answered i believe)

but anyway again.... the first SC HAD to come out because the car of Bottas couldn't be moved manually and a crane was needed <---- THIS has the immediate effect that a SC is coming out, its anchored in the safety regulations (due to the Bianchi accident probably)

So it was all okay that the SC came out and not discussable at all
The safety car coming out is 1 thing. Keeping it out for 3 extra lap just do cars could unlap themselves? Nuts.