Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
izzy

Re: Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

Mudflap wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 05:02
Regarding graphene nanofluids:

The Honda F1 paper has a chapter called 'Research on coolant using nano additives and heavy water'. Their finding was that for the coolant flow velocities required in F1 the pumping losses were too high to justify the increase in overall heat transfer coefficient.

While Honda have only tested carbon nanotubes and aluminium oxides, the few papers available online seem to suggest the same drawbacks for graphene additives. As a reference, for 2 to 5°C reduction in cylinder head temperature the engine output had dropped by 4 to 8 kW due to the high coolant viscosity.

My prediction is that we won't be hearing of flexegraph in F1 anytime soon.
oh interesting. Tho at the same time it's hard to imagine F1 still can't find anything better than water and glycol

dans79

izzy wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 21:41
Mudflap wrote:

The Honda F1 paper has a chapter called 'Research on coolant using nano additives and heavy water'. Their finding was that for the coolant flow velocities required in F1 the pumping losses were too high to justify the increase in overall heat transfer coefficient.

While Honda have only tested carbon nanotubes and aluminium oxides, the few papers available online seem to suggest the same drawbacks for graphene additives. As a reference, for 2 to 5°C reduction in cylinder head temperature the engine output had dropped by 4 to 8 kW due to the high coolant viscosity.

oh interesting. Tho at the same time it's hard to imagine F1 still can't find anything better than water and glycol
Like I mentioned they could get a benefit by coating the radiators with graphine.

Here is a consumer products example.

Air cooler for a cpu, 115W TDP
http://www.cryorig.com/c7cu.php

Same cooler with a graphine coating has a 125W TDP
http://www.cryorig.com/c7g.php

Though for an F1 cooling system I don't think you will see that kind of performance gain.
197 104 103 7

63l8qrrfy6

izzy wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 21:41
Mudflap wrote:

There is something better that F1 use: water with much less glycol!
Last edited by 63l8qrrfy6 on 21 Jan 2020, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

izzy

dans79 wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 21:55
Like I mentioned they could get a benefit by coating the radiators with graphine.

Here is a consumer products example.

Air cooler for a cpu, 115W TDP
http://www.cryorig.com/c7cu.php

Same cooler with a graphine coating has a 125W TDP
http://www.cryorig.com/c7g.php

Though for an F1 cooling system I don't think you will see that kind of performance gain.
yes nice idea, i bet they've tried it. i was wondering if they could actually AM or hybrid a radiator out of graphene, the tubes at least - it's impermeable isn't it and very strong and a great conductor. With a support structure...

izzy

Mudflap wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 22:36
There is something better that F1 use: water with much less glycol!
i only meant a teeny bit :) Everyone seems to say glycol with it, but yes now you make me look it adds viscosity and costs specific heat, lose lose

Just_a_fan

Going to ask a silly question here: why add glycol to F1 engine coolant anyway? In road cars, the glycol protects against freezing damage but this isn't a problem for F1 cars. Does the glycol do other things besides freeze protection? I thought that other additives were used for corrosion protection etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

f1motta

Guys do you remember size-zero concept? We can see it again on the grid but this year in Mercedes' car... :mrgreen:

NathanOlder

f1motta wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 11:47
Guys do you remember size-zero concept? We can see it again on the grid but this year in Mercedes' car... :mrgreen:
[-o< lets see what you've seen :-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Thunder

Everytime i hear "Size Zero" i just want to slap Ron Dennis. What a Meme he das created.:D
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

3jawchuck

Thunder wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 12:44
Everytime i hear "Size Zero" i just want to slap Ron Dennis. What a Meme he das created.:D
Ther's a lot of reasons I want to slap Ron Dennis, "size zero" is one of the smaller ones.

SiLo

f1motta wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 11:47
Have you seen something we haven't?
Felipe Baby!

Wouter

SiLo wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 17:59

I think the biggest jump we will see will be the engine this year.
I've read multiple reports of a big jump from that department.
I have asked you this before. Could you give me a link of those reports of a big jump?
The Power of Dreams!

Ground Effect

Wouter wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 13:12
SiLo wrote:

I have asked you this before. Could you give me a link of those reports of a big jump?
There was a report from it.motorsport.com, it was posted a few pages back. Talking about a big step in the engine and setting themselves up for the development freeze.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect

Wouter wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 13:12
SiLo wrote:

There you go, actually not that far back after all...

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... i/4651732/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.