Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Wouter

Re: Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 15:49
Wouter wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 13:12
SiLo wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 17:59

I think the biggest jump we will see will be the engine this year.
I've read multiple reports of a big jump from that department.
I have asked you this before. Could you give me a link of those reports of a big jump?
There you go, actually not that far back after all...

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... i/4651732/
Thank you @Ground Effect for answering my question.
The Power of Dreams!

Lotus102

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 11:45
Going to ask a silly question here: why add glycol to F1 engine coolant anyway? In road cars, the glycol protects against freezing damage but this isn't a problem for F1 cars. Does the glycol do other things besides freeze protection? I thought that other additives were used for corrosion protection etc.
Glycol transfers heat more efficiently than water and raises the boiling point. You could go with a 100% Ethylene glycol coolant systems, like they did on the early RR Merlin engines, but that had a greater risk of fire and was more prone to leaks. When they could improve the cooling sufficiently to introduce a 70% glycol/30% water mix it solved various problems associated with using glycol by itself (I think that's when they started pressurising the coolant as well). If you went to water only, you'd need bigger radiators.

Just_a_fan

Lotus102 wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 23:52
Thanks Lotus102, very helpful. Every day's a school day. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

f1motta

SiLo wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 12:59
f1motta wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 11:47
Guys do you remember size-zero concept? We can see it again on the grid but this year in Mercedes' car... :mrgreen:
Have you seen something we haven't?
A friend of my friend's friend told me rear bodywork will be so tight that the cooling system components (ERS radiator) will protrude strongly from under the cover.

SiLo

f1motta wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 09:17
SiLo wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 12:59
f1motta wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 11:47
Guys do you remember size-zero concept? We can see it again on the grid but this year in Mercedes' car... :mrgreen:
Have you seen something we haven't?
A friend of my friend's friend told me rear bodywork will be so tight that the cooling system components (ERS radiator) will protrude strongly from under the cover.
Guess we don't have to wait too long to find out if this is true!
Felipe Baby!

OO7
OO7

f1motta wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 09:17
You mean like it has done throughout this hybrid era so far. :lol:

Phlumbert

https://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/3 ... -verwacht/

Translation:
A good start is half the work. That seems to apply more than ever to the Formula 1 season 2020. Obviously, a team has to get off to a good start every year, but with the major changes in 2021 that is now even more important.

With a good basis, the designers and engineers can focus more on the car for the next season than when there are still a lot of teething problems to remedy. That, of course, also applies to Mercedes, which wants to hunt for a unique seventh consecutive world title among both drivers and manufacturers.

The first sounds from Brackley are positive. The results of the simulations are said to be better than technical director James Allison expected, GPUpdate.net has learned from sources within the team. Regarding the chassis, the W11 seems to be a strong evolution of the predecessor. The team does not want to run any unnecessary risks in the final year for major legislative changes and to completely disrupt the concept. After all, recent years have been unprecedentedly successful. It is expected that Mercedes will adopt the higher sidepod philosophy from Ferrari. This has aerodynamic benefits and ensures better cooling of the power unit.

The engine department in Brixworth has been working hard for months to reduce the motor deficit on Ferrari. In 2019, the Scuderia was unapproachable, especially on the straight. In addition to the normal development of the engine, Mercedes has also taken on the cooling system. This new variant must ensure better reliability for both the factory team and the customer teams. In addition, the power source must be able to run at higher power more often and longer if the cooling is in better order.

To get to the bottom of the block, motorcycle chief Andy Cowell has enlisted the help of a German engineer who specializes in new materials and chemistry. He has investigated the weaknesses of the Mercedes F1 W10 EQ Power + and suggested areas for improvement to close the gap with Ferrari. The results on the test bench look promising, so the competition can make the breast wet again.

OO7
OO7

Thanks for the link and translation Phlumbert.

BTW, there's nothing like a wet breast. :lol:

SiLo

Mercedes success breeds success. Each time they have an advantage they make it count for the next year.
Felipe Baby!

zibby43

https://www.corriere.it/sport/formula-1 ... pale.shtml

Translation of some of the highlights:

PU/Rear Packaging:

Wit respect to the PU, one of the most significant problems that affected the W10 was overheating. Last season there was an fundamental design flaw (cooling architecture) that did not allow the team to extract further performance from the ICE over the course of the season.

For '20, Merc has worked hard on improving this aspect of the power unit. Cooling has been completely revised and will be one of the main new features of the German 2020 PU with internal code GJ. Consequently, the engine cover will also be completely new and will still feature the now known rear "protuberances" generated by the presence of the cooling radiators of the ERS. The protuberance will increase in size and will also partly act as a flow director towards the rear. In conclusion, the rear of the W11 will be very very compact.

Other snippets:

- High-top sidepods similar to those seen on the Ferrari and Red Bull
- Entirety of factory staff was switched over to '20 car at the halfway point of the '19 season

SiLo

zibby43 wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 11:10
https://www.corriere.it/sport/formula-1 ... pale.shtml
Other snippets:

- Entirety of factory staff was switched over to '20 car at the halfway point of the '19 season
I think we all news this was going to happen, but I don't know at what time they would usually do this anyway.
Felipe Baby!

Bill

According to Toto the solved their cooling issues with the package the brought in Germany.

SiLo

Bill wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 12:06
According to Toto the solved their cooling issues with the package the brought in Germany.
Looks like that might have just been from their cooling package, not the actual architectural design of the engine itself which was mentioned in previous posts above.
Felipe Baby!

LM10

Are there any Mercedes fans being particularly happy about any rumors of Mercedes making big improvements? Already last season the W10 had a race pace which was totally out of this world. Without regulation changes and with staff switching to the W11 project ages before last season ended, the upcoming car can only be another beast wiping the floor with it’s opponents.

I don’t expect Ferrari to be in the title race next season, but it would piss me off to see Mercedes doing a walk in the park once again. So only hope for some sort of excitement seems to lie in the hands of the RBR people. But even then, I don’t expect Mercedes to lose their position on the very top.

SiLo

I am, but I'm more a Hamilton fan than specifically Mercedes. I just want to see him break a bunch of records and enjoy it whilst it happens.
Felipe Baby!