Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LM10

Re: Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

SiLo wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 22:57
What should worry people is that Mercedes were so fast with a seemingly inferior sided design.
They just perfected the other design. Maybe they’ll have more difficulties with the other one. There must be a reason they waited that long with changing their sidepod concept (supposing they actually changed it).

dans79

LM10 wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 23:28
There must be a reason they waited that long with changing their sidepod concept (supposing they actually changed it).
Most likely time constraints. If they truly cut way back on the 2019 cars development after the summer break, that probably gave them the time and computational resources they needed to do the re-design.
197 104 103 7

zibby43

Last year's seat fitting (which accurately predicted the traditional side pod shape) for comparison:

https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/1 ... 57056?s=20

wesley123

LM10 wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 19:59
MtthsMlw wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 19:25
High sidepods finally? Last team yet to adopt this solution.
https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/1 ... 3213262848
Probably there is no more big gain potential in the conventional sidepod concept. So sooner or later they needed to go this way.
Not really convinced about it, Mercs sidepod last year wasn't all that different; Both solutions increased the space between sidepod and front wheel.

Instead of the Red Bull-like sidepod we might just see a more developed version of last years sidepod. Lowering the required structure would improve CoG a bit and give much more freedom on the top side of the sidepod.

But then again, I'm frequently very, very wrong :lol:
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Big Tea

Looking at the pics, the 'car' is in Mercedes petronas colours. would a development or prototype be painted already? or is it just an old test unit of some sort
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wunderkind

Big Tea wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 16:12
Looking at the pics, the 'car' is in Mercedes petronas colours. would a development or prototype be painted already? or is it just an old test unit of some sort
It looks like a seating buck made out of jabroc
Last edited by wunderkind on 14 Dec 2019, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

Wouter

SiLo wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 17:59
I think the biggest jump we will see will be the engine this year.
I've read multiple reports of a big jump from that department.
Once again my question from last week:

I have only read one Italian report. Could you give me other (mutiple) reports? Thanks in advance.
The Power of Dreams!

Little Newms

Guys sorry to burst the bubble but has anyone noticed that the tub is exactly the same as the one Karun has his seat fitting in when he drove the 2019 car earlier this year? Exactly the same side pods, air intake size and so on.

Highly unlikely it’s the 2020 tub you see...

MtthsMlw

Little Newms wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 11:23
Guys sorry to burst the bubble but has anyone noticed that the tub is exactly the same as the one Karun has his seat fitting in when he drove the 2019 car earlier this year? Exactly the same side pods, air intake size and so on.

Why would they put the top SIPS lower than usual for no reason though?

scarbs

Little Newms wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 11:23

timbo

Irrespective of whether or not the tub is from 2020 car, I wonder, why would they make those recesses in the tub itself? Yes, I get that the radiators can be brought more inboard, but to get the same structural strength, more material would be required, so there is a weight penalty. Couldn't they make the tub shorter? Or simply make it narrower at the bottom altogether?

rscsr

timbo wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 15:19
Irrespective of whether or not the tub is from 2020 car, I wonder, why would they make those recesses in the tub itself? Yes, I get that the radiators can be brought more inboard, but to get the same structural strength, more material would be required, so there is a weight penalty. Couldn't they make the tub shorter? Or simply make it narrower at the bottom altogether?
Mercedes seem to use pretty soft ARBs anyway, so I don't think that max torsional stiffness is not what they think they need.
And they are below minimum weight anyway, so they could easily handle any weight penalty anyway imho.
And aero is always king. Therefore they won't make the car shorter because you would need to make the floor shorter and give up "free" downforce.

Just_a_fan

rscsr wrote:
16 Dec 2019, 13:57
Therefore they won't make the car shorter because you would need to make the floor shorter and give up "free" downforce.
The length is as much about making the body above the floor long and narrow. That maximises airflow to the rear floor and over the top of the diffuser.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

HungarianRacer

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Dec 2019, 15:48
rscsr wrote:
16 Dec 2019, 13:57
Therefore they won't make the car shorter because you would need to make the floor shorter and give up "free" downforce.
The length is as much about making the body above the floor long and narrow. That maximises airflow to the rear floor and over the top of the diffuser.
... And a longer, more progressively shrinking airbox and engine cover can lower the drag coefficient aswell.

michl420

timbo wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 15:19
The Bottom engine mounting points are just 22cm away from the center line. Everything more outboard isn't important for car stiffness. Of Course there is a fuel tank structural test from underneath, but I don't think that one is a big Problem.