F1 2020 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: F1 2020 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Jambier wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 11:48
Binotto said the engine is weaker than 2019, but maybe it is bluffing

Anyway I feel like:

- Mercedes has done huge progress, every Merc powered team is better than last year
- Honda has done solid progress... and may be the second engine
- Ferrari seems to be weak since FIA changes the rule
- Renault only worked on reliability, which is now very good, but not progressing means be the last
Based on the recent FiA "settlement", I'd say it's highly likely Ferrari have lost performance!

According to Danny Ric, the Renault RS20 has much better balance and more grip than the RS19 - it should be very interesting to see how competitive they are this year.
"In downforce we trust"

Jambier

djos wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 12:10
Jambier wrote:

Anyway I feel like:

- Mercedes has done huge progress, every Merc powered team is better than last year
- Renault only worked on reliability, which is now very good, but not progressing means be the last
Based on the recent FiA "settlement", I'd say it's highly likely Ferrari have lost performance!

According to Danny Ric, the Renault RS20 has much better balance and more grip than the RS19 - it should be very interesting to see how competitive they are this year.
The RS20 is an updated RS19, with good results! I'm even a bit surprised, how a few changes can make this car reach its full potential.

But still, the year will be difficult for Renault, I think the developement will be low on this car, only 1 evolution on the engine etc.

Bandit1216

I Think RB is the most obvious sandbagging team to be honest. They can put on a rear bigger wing, even if they use the diffuser / high rake for most DF. One always prefers that, because it's the best aero efficiency imo. Nevertheless on real high down force tracks they can still slap a big wing on, because the drag penalty is more then worth it. (otherwise they won't).

Also RB did not do perfect laps on softs, but did 0,5 sec off Merc on C2's last fryday, which is quite something when you ask me. I think RB has more then 1 sec on the shelf.

But now one should ask what Merc and the rest have in their pocket. I think that's a lot harder. Perhaps Bottas did his fast lap with 50kg more fuel. Who knows?
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

Vasconia

Jambier wrote:

Anyway I feel like:

I can hardly belive that Ferrari´s current PU is weaker than last year. They have had time to find some progress like other teams have done.

Restomaniac

Vasconia wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 13:00
Jambier wrote:

Anyway I feel like:

I can hardly belive that Ferrari´s current PU is weaker than last year. They have had time to find some progress like other teams have done.
Well that all depends. If as some assume Ferrari were up to something which a 2nd fuel flow sensor has stopped then we could easily be in a situation where they have gone backwards between pre testing 19 to to testing 20.

Also remember that Renault, Honda and Mercedes have been working on the PU’s without interruptions in the path they have chosen. If Ferrari suddenly had their improvement path cut off then they would suddenly have to start another which is far harder and would take time.

Xwang

If the single fuel flow sensor can be bypassed, can the same procedure be used to bypass the second sensor too (assuming it is of the same approved type as the first one)?

Restomaniac

Xwang wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 13:35
If the single fuel flow sensor can be bypassed, can the same procedure be used to bypass the second sensor too (assuming it is of the same approved type as the first one)?
Apparently the second sensor is completely outside the teams control and the results and flow levels aren’t seen by the teams.
That was apparently the problem with the 1st sensor. They could see the results and so effect the results by trying to confuse it and see what the changes were.

This info BTW is what Ted Kravitz said during the pre-season testing.

bosyber

Bandit1216 wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 12:47
I Think RB is the most obvious sandbagging team to be honest. They can put on a rear bigger wing, even if they use the diffuser / high rake for most DF. One always prefers that, because it's the best aero efficiency imo. Nevertheless on real high down force tracks they can still slap a big wing on, because the drag penalty is more then worth it. (otherwise they won't).

Also RB did not do perfect laps on softs, but did 0,5 sec off Merc on C2's last fryday, which is quite something when you ask me. I think RB has more then 1 sec on the shelf.

But now one should ask what Merc and the rest have in their pocket. I think that's a lot harder. Perhaps Bottas did his fast lap with 50kg more fuel. Who knows?
I would agree with you about Red Bull in principle, but for the knowledge that in many a year since 2014 has it seemed that way, only for it to turn out that, no, they were not sandbagging (to that level), and no, it will not be a simple matter of slapping on bigger wings unless you are willing to wait to at the least the 2nd quarter of the season.

Of course, results from the past are not guarantee for the future etc. but in the case of Red Bull it seems their successful holding back in testing and running away in the races from their championship period is that past result we shouldn't lean on too much. But I would hope this time they did a good enough job to be the challenger, even if not the favourite.

Godius

Red Bull was relatively slow compared to Mercedes and Ferrari in sector 3 Barcelona. You can't simply fix this with putting a bigger wing on. This rear instability issue of the RB16 seems to point towards lack of mechanical grip or aero imbalance. They seem to generate a lot of efficient down-force in medium and high speed corners with a skinny rear wing + high rake concept, but grip at lower speeds this seems to be a issue for them in Barcelona.

etusch

Godius wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 16:35
Red Bull was relatively slow compared to Mercedes and Ferrari in sector 3 Barcelona. You can't simply fix this with putting a bigger wing on. This rear instability issue of the RB16 seems to point towards lack of mechanical grip or aero imbalance. They seem to generate a lot of efficient down-force in medium and high speed corners with a skinny rear wing + high rake concept, but grip at lower speeds this seems to be a issue for them in Barcelona.
They rebuilt both rear and front suspension and tested limits of them during testing. Of course it need to get mature but I think it would be ok in time. Hopefully before Melbourne.

Pyrone89

Mark my words, Mercedes PU and Suspension is nr. 1 when considering the whole (not just power but also drivability, able to last 7 races, fuel efficiency allowing to start lighter etc.). Only with regards to aerodynamics they have a challenger in Red Bull, but the aforementioned better PU and suspension will decide the title.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Vasconia

Restomaniac wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 13:20
Vasconia wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 13:00
Jambier wrote:

Anyway I feel like:

Well that all depends. If as some assume Ferrari were up to something which a 2nd fuel flow sensor has stopped then we could easily be in a situation where they have gone backwards between pre testing 19 to to testing 20.

Also remember that Renault, Honda and Mercedes have been working on the PU’s without interruptions in the path they have chosen. If Ferrari suddenly had their improvement path cut off then they would suddenly have to start another which is far harder and would take time.
Good point. Anyway I expected Ferrari to make an extra point to bring an improved PU because this controversy began months ago and I am sure they realized that their idea was going to be "banned".

Sieper

bosyber wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 16:06
Bandit1216 wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 12:47

I would agree with you about Red Bull in principle, but for the knowledge that in many a year since 2014 has it seemed that way, only for it to turn out that, no, they were not sandbagging (to that level), and no, it will not be a simple matter of slapping on bigger wings unless you are willing to wait to at the least the 2nd quarter of the season.

Of course, results from the past are not guarantee for the future etc. but in the case of Red Bull it seems their successful holding back in testing and running away in the races from their championship period is that past result we shouldn't lean on too much. But I would hope this time they did a good enough job to be the challenger, even if not the favourite.
plus, never forget the RedBull has a higher rake, so in fact the flatter wing is already "steeper" to begin with as the whole car is at an angle.

Sieper

Pyrone89 wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 22:26
Mark my words, Mercedes PU and Suspension is nr. 1 when considering the whole (not just power but also drivability, able to last 7 races, fuel efficiency allowing to start lighter etc.). Only with regards to aerodynamics they have a challenger in Red Bull, but the aforementioned better PU and suspension will decide the title.
mark my words. Ego tripping? :D Plus you are just repeating what has been the case (most likely) for several seasons now so that is not really an impressive feat of predicting now is it? Merc is improving he overall car / aero and with Honda RBR now the engine so perhaps both teams are more moving to an equal footing (I hope).

Wouter

Pyrone89 wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 22:26

How do you know that Mercedes has the aforementioned better PU and suspension?
Do you know what RBR has this year? Source?
The Power of Dreams!