[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 22:41
mwillems wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 18:48
CjC wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 18:24

Wouldn’t like to say, I’ve seen he’s used all his elements that are available to him for the season but even so, if he had to take a new MGU-K I’d imagine he’d still start the race inside the top 10 with a 5 place grid drop and with the race pace he had in Bahrain I’d expect him to get back to P3-6 by the end of the race
Maybe, I think if we start ahead of Perez we have a decent chance of keeping ahead or in similar positions.

We don't need to finish ahead now, just need to collect some solid points I think. If we finished 7th and 8th in the next two races we'd get 20 points and I should think that might be enough to get us over the line. Hopefully I'm not getting ahead of myself.
I seem to remember that RP wasn't very good with top speed circuits like Monza.
Argh, I think you may be right. But every time these predictions come about, where a circuit should suit us or not suit others, we don't do that well! Hopefully this time that won't happen as I think that it can often be wind conditions that affects us and I can't see it (hopefully) being too bad.

Fingers crossed for one strong finish this weekend to put it all to bed.

And yeah you are right about Vettel I think, I've mentioned it before, no rear end and he's knackered, so he might do very well at RP next year, particularly with the new rear Merc suspension.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

chrisgr

I cant remember another time in F1 with so many crashes at starts and restarts. I dont easily remember the details of all those years that I'm watching F1. Is this generation of drivers so careless or is it maybe because they know that the cars are very safe and they take unnecessary risks? I am always so nervous in the starts. I am always thinking "someone is gonna crash on us!"

mwillems

mwillems wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 00:40
I did and then moved past it because that happened to everyone, Stroll certainly had plenty of bad luck. But Strolls poor performance compared to our better performing Norris was the difference that propelled us to third I feel. To put it another way, if Lando and Carlos raced for RP, they'd have wrapped up third, and if Perez and Stroll raced for us, I suspect we'd be right back with Renault and Stroll would lose his seat next year.

Listen, I'm not saying we haven't earned this current third spot, I'm saying we are not the third fastest car, but 4th in my opinion marginally ahead of Renault, but we probably are the third best Team. The car is improving year on year and I like that, but it's been a long time since as a team we have been well rounded, competent and efficient (bar some pit stop slip ups). There is a more significant jump in team performance than there was in the car, and it should be noted. We are a strong organisation now, a well run and high performance outfit pointing in the right direction.
This was originally a reply to a fanboy, but Ross Brawn made the same points this week, that RP underperformed this year and Mclaren overperformed, putting it down to them being a well oiled team. So I thought I'd post it since Darth Piekius didn't want to think we got third as much as because of others poor performance as our own decent ones.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ross-braw ... performed/

If we are honest, we did well to keep hanging in and around third for the past few races so that when we had a lucky break we were well positioned to take it. The RP is up there with the Merc and Red Bull in terms of car quality, but you cannot say the same for us, unfortunately.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 09:55
mwillems wrote:
I did and then moved past it because that happened to everyone, Stroll certainly had plenty of bad luck. But Strolls poor performance compared to our better performing Norris was the difference that propelled us to third I feel. To put it another way, if Lando and Carlos raced for RP, they'd have wrapped up third, and if Perez and Stroll raced for us, I suspect we'd be right back with Renault and Stroll would lose his seat next year.

Listen, I'm not saying we haven't earned this current third spot, I'm saying we are not the third fastest car, but 4th in my opinion marginally ahead of Renault, but we probably are the third best Team. The car is improving year on year and I like that, but it's been a long time since as a team we have been well rounded, competent and efficient (bar some pit stop slip ups). There is a more significant jump in team performance than there was in the car, and it should be noted. We are a strong organisation now, a well run and high performance outfit pointing in the right direction.
This was originally a reply to a fanboy, but Ross Brawn made the same points this week, that RP underperformed this year and Mclaren overperformed, putting it down to them being a well oiled team. So I thought I'd post it since Darth Piekius didn't want to think we got third as much as because of others poor performance as our own decent ones.

If we are honest, we did well to keep hanging in and around third for the past few races so that when we had a lucky break we were well positioned to take it. The RP is up there with the Merc and Red Bull in terms of car quality, but you cannot say the same for us, unfortunately.
100% spot on! I dare say even Checo on his best day hasn’t gotten the best out of that car, as impressive as he’s been. It’s definitely worth a lot more than 2 podiums. There’s a reason why Seb is happy to go there, someone of his calibre and relatively young age should be thinking winning team or bust. So McLaren have done well to have kept in the fight, with all the complications of preparing for next season and testing future parts etc. But so far, RP have underachieved, no doubt about it.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

_cerber1

:lol:

ALO_Power

_cerber1 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 13:23
https://radikal.ru
Hehe, you never know in this layout :mrgreen:

SmallSoldier

chrisgr wrote:I cant remember another time in F1 with so many crashes at starts and restarts. I dont easily remember the details of all those years that I'm watching F1. Is this generation of drivers so careless or is it maybe because they know that the cars are very safe and they take unnecessary risks? I am always so nervous in the starts. I am always thinking "someone is gonna crash on us!"
Crashes in turn 1 have always been common in F1, I wouldn’t say that we have had more crashes in 2020 than other years, but maybe we have had a few more espectacular ones.

I don’t think that this generation of drivers is too careless, but there are some drivers on the grid that either seem to be too eager at the start of the race and take some unnecessary risks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
mwillems wrote:

There is a definite luck element in it. Even if only considering Ferrari. In a normal year for them, even a bad one, they would expect to be a top 4 team most of the time. Circumstances fave knocked them back 3 places early on, and removed their scores from Mclaren RP and Renault. Probably RP would not have suffered as much as Mclaren or Renault
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

I usually don't find this stuff funny but this did generate a smile ... After hearing about all the driver lineup changes for this weekend.

@LandoNorris
Just announcing I’m racing also in the next two weekends of @F1 with @McLarenF1!! So excited!!

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 17:07
I usually don't find this stuff funny but this did generate a smile ... After hearing about all the driver lineup changes for this weekend.

@LandoNorris
Just announcing I’m racing also in the next two weekends of @F1 with @McLarenF1!! So excited!!
Must have been something he had for breakfast :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 10:55
mwillems wrote:
mwillems wrote:

100% spot on! I dare say even Checo on his best day hasn’t gotten the best out of that car, as impressive as he’s been. It’s definitely worth a lot more than 2 podiums. There’s a reason why Seb is happy to go there, someone of his calibre and relatively young age should be thinking winning team or bust. So McLaren have done well to have kept in the fight, with all the complications of preparing for next season and testing future parts etc. But so far, RP have underachieved, no doubt about it.
I guess I'm just being the devil's advocate here but ...

Don't forget , if you give back the penality points to RP, they'd be 2 points behind. Add to that, both RP drivers have gotten covid, something that wouldn't happen in a normal year. I'd have to say they've been ATLEAST average.

It is a perception or Opinion that another driver can get more out of the car. if you beleive that RP is the 2019 Merc. Then if we look at how he compares against Hamilton 2019 Bahrain...
Sergio PEREZ   Bahrain 2020 1:28.322
Lewis Hamilton Bahrain 2019 1:28.190
Being a 10th off Hamilton when he was behind Ferrari in Q3, you know he's flat out, is pretty good.
Last edited by diffuser on 02 Dec 2020, 19:56, edited 4 times in total.

Andres125sx

_cerber1 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 13:23
https://radikal.ru
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 19:33
Something I've noticed repeatedly in quali after Quali ...is

SPEED TRAP KM/H      |FINISH LINE KM/H
5 55 C. SAINZ  325.2 | 4 L. NORRIS 297.1
8  4 L. NORRIS 323.7 |55 C. SAINZ  295.0
The gap in speed between Finish line and Speed trap, most of the time this is down the main start/finish straight, is almost alway larger for sainz. These means Sainz tends to run less DF. That is the only way to be slower at the finish line (norris is on the power sooner) that at the Speed trap. Sainz, having less DF, has a higher top speed and faster acceleration over 300KPH. He also tends to have fewer problems passing at tracks that have a long enough straight/DRS than Norris.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing =D>

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 17:27
Ground Effect wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 10:55
mwillems wrote:

I guess I'm just being the devil's advocate here but ...

Don't forget , if you give back the penality points to RP, they'd be 2 points behind. Add to that, both RP drivers have gotten covid, something that wouldn't happen in a normal year. I'd have to say they've been ATLEAST average.

It is a perception or Opinion that another driver can get more out of the car. if you beleive that RP is the 2019 Merc. Then if we look at how he compares against Hamilton 2019 Bahrain...
Sergio PEREZ   Bahrain 2020 1:28.322
Lewis Hamilton Bahrain 2019 1:28.190
Being a 10th off Hamilton when he was behind Ferrari in Q3, you know he's flat out, is pretty good.
That’s a fair point, but the Mercedes in Bahrain last year was at it’s earliest iteration and not as developed. Checo and Lance are driving the W10 at it’s most developed form.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

Personally I don't know if we overperformed and they underperformed. My opinion doesn't change about them. They copy pasted another's team work and they had all the luck in the world they didn't get disqualified and only escaped with 15 points deduction. Fanboy or not I can't sympathise with that kind of racing as I prefer teams that have achieved everything by themselves on their own honest work. RP will realize that if not next year then by 2022 when they won't be able to do that anymore.

That is my honest opinion.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 03 Dec 2020, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.