[ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wass85

Re: [ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

I hope the team and especially Frank gets the send off they deserve.

gshevlin

Williams was truly the last privateer team in Formula 1. This is a sad day in many ways, but the world of Formula 1 has been highly corporatized for decades. It is something of a miracle that the team still existed up until now as a family-owned and family-run business.
The big question is: who will run the team? I refuse to believe that Dorilton Capital decided to move the Williams family out of management of the team without a team to replace them. History tells us that replacing racers with "suits" is never successful. You need at least one senior leader to be steeped in motor racing.

Morteza

Williams Racing wrote:Williams Grand Prix Engineering today announces that Matthew Savage, Darren Fultz and James Matthews will make up the company’s new Board of Directors following Dorilton Capital’s acquisition of the team that was announced on 21 August.

Matthew Savage is the Chairman of Dorilton Capital. Dorilton is a private investment firm headquartered in the United States and Matthew has led the team since its inception in 2009. Prior to founding Dorilton, Matthew was with Rothschild for 22 years in both London and New York advising clients regarding M&A and restructuring transactions.

Darren Fultz co-founded Dorilton Capital in 2009 and became CEO in 2018. Prior to this he held positions with Rothschild where he provided corporate finance and M&A advice and with C3i and ZS Associates where he provided sales and marketing strategy and analytics advice. Darren sits on the Board of Directors at all of Dorilton’s portfolio companies.

James Matthews is the CEO of Eden Rock Group, an investment advisory firm headquartered in London that was established in 2001. James is a former British racing driver and the co-founders of Eden Rock have a background in motorsports spanning more than 30 years.

The new Board recognises and appreciates the importance of retaining Williams’ heritage and culture and will continue to work with the senior management to leverage its capabilities to return it to racing competitively.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Big Tea

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 6oLDn.html

Claie is stepping down is now on the F1 site. Sad

Sorry Morteza, I see you have already posted it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

zeph

I don't think it's sad. It's long overdue. To me, it has been glaringly obvious for years that she's not the right person to lead the team.

I don't know if this will fix all their problems, but it's a start.

NL_Fer

Morteza wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 16:02
https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/stat ... 5124887552
Williams Racing wrote:Williams Grand Prix Engineering today announces that Matthew Savage, Darren Fultz and James Matthews will make up the company’s new Board of Directors following Dorilton Capital’s acquisition of the team that was announced on 21 August.

Matthew Savage is the Chairman of Dorilton Capital. Dorilton is a private investment firm headquartered in the United States and Matthew has led the team since its inception in 2009. Prior to founding Dorilton, Matthew was with Rothschild for 22 years in both London and New York advising clients regarding M&A and restructuring transactions.

Darren Fultz co-founded Dorilton Capital in 2009 and became CEO in 2018. Prior to this he held positions with Rothschild where he provided corporate finance and M&A advice and with C3i and ZS Associates where he provided sales and marketing strategy and analytics advice. Darren sits on the Board of Directors at all of Dorilton’s portfolio companies.

James Matthews is the CEO of Eden Rock Group, an investment advisory firm headquartered in London that was established in 2001. James is a former British racing driver and the co-founders of Eden Rock have a background in motorsports spanning more than 30 years.

The new Board recognises and appreciates the importance of retaining Williams’ heritage and culture and will continue to work with the senior management to leverage its capabilities to return it to racing competitively.
Great, Williams is going to be ran by a three bankers looking for a new hobby.

notsofast

The end of an era. Inevitable, but sad anyway.

Perhaps there's a role for Claire within the FIA organization. It would be a shame to lose her perspective and experience, even if team leadership isn't her strongest skill.

proteus

Aramco could have offered them a title sponsorship, they have massive amounts of cash to burn, and there are tons of other companies.....damn shame.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

bill shoe

Last team in individual or family ownership. Last team with a provenance that goes straight back to the 70's era when a team could be started by anyone with big balls and enough money to get through a race weekend.

Have to respect Claire and the rest of the family for making a clean break with it. I don't look at it as a sad outcome, I look at it as extremely well played by Frank and his family. Would love to get Frank's perspective on the last 43 years.

Sevach

Thank you for everything Frank.

A little bit teary eyed here...

jjn9128

I'm of the opinion that much of Williams' success was down to Patrick Head rather than Frank Williams - then Dernie, Lowe and Newey. He was a blagger, could get sponsor deals with promises he lucked into delivering on, heck his start in F1 was selling repurposed cars as new after a bit of a clean. Nothing I've seen has convinced me that Claire will be a loss to the F1 world either.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Manoah2u

jjn9128 wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 22:10
I'm of the opinion that much of Williams' success was down to Patrick Head rather than Frank Williams - then Dernie, Lowe and Newey. He was a blagger, could get sponsor deals with promises he lucked into delivering on, heck his start in F1 was selling repurposed cars as new after a bit of a clean. Nothing I've seen has convinced me that Claire will be a loss to the F1 world either.
finally people are opening up the truth.

i dunno why people are like pitbulls when critizising Claire or Frank. Frank needs less, but indeed, key figures went and things went for the bad. Don't get me wrong Mr Williams did good, but he's overglorified. Quite frankly (no pun intended) I remember him most for moves like firing Hill when he became a champion.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 22:10
I recall hearing a story of when Frank was doing a deal with (I think) BMW. He stretched out the final details until almost exactly 11 am, then after signing and shaking hands, picked up his phone and said (to no one) Ok its done ask them to come now please. He asked the visitors to come and look through his office window, Then almost immediately the red arrows flew over.

His visitors were impressed and they went for lunch.

Apparently, at 11 AM every Monday morning the Red Arrows returned to their station just down the road.

That is the sort of mind he has.

I think this was from an after dinner speaker, don't recall who.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ringleheim

It won't be long now before the team has a new name. At least that would be my guess.

jjn9128

Ringleheim wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 22:59
It won't be long now before the team has a new name. At least that would be my guess.
Doubt it. Williams were bought for the heritage of the team - 9 constructors and 7 drivers championships. You'd be mad to throw that away, also would lose the historic bonus payment from the FIA.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica