Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Stu

Re: Red Bull RB16

godlameroso wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 02:08
Maybe I have bad depth perception from a 2d picture but I could have sworn it's the trailing edge of the transition that's cambered down not the leading edge.

Nice to meet an actual aero guy.

https://files.catbox.moe/5ndro7.jpg

For clarity I'm talking about this part, it flicks up on the Renault, no one else does it, and the Renault is a very slippery car. I figured this had something to do with it.

By channeling air downwards and away from the underside of the main rear wing you in essence lower the pressure of the air flowing under the rear wing, increasing its performance, in theory.
I think that the angle of the Merc photo is slightly misleading, it is taken from slightly above the wing. The surface is horizontal (as it is on most other cars). If you really zoom in on the area that you have marked there is what looks like a small curved protrusion on the inside of the end-plate (it curves upwards towards the rear), so maybe Merc are doing something similar in that area to Renault. Renault just seem to be doing it more and with a bigger interaction with the car system.

Thank you Puzzlehead.Ice, it looks as though I do have CFD eyes... 😂
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

godlameroso

Its about the total load of the system rather then the load just on the rear wing. Think t-wings - worse flow for the rear wing but a small step in total downforce
Beam wings worked differently, they were closer to the diffuser therefore they had more influence on that part of the car than the rear wing, I understand there's a certain synergy between the upwash of the diffuser and the rear wing. I also understand the idea behind WW1 bi-planes. However the monkey seat itself was more to do with the channeling of exhaust gases. All of these devices work very differently to the way the rear wing retractions interact with the rear wing itself.

Those have to do with how airflow moves around the end plates. I stubbornly stick to the belief that creating lift with those retractions will create a net gain of downforce in all states. It will however cause more drag, the inverse is also true as far as I can tell.
Saishū kōnā

Thunder

As there is no RB16B speculation Thread and the Car is revealed today i moved the unveil Talk to the Team Thread. This Thread is about the 2020 Car.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Holm86

Thunder wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 12:31
As there is no RB16B speculation Thread and the Car is revealed today i moved the unveil Talk to the Team Thread. This Thread is about the 2020 Car.
Wouldn't it be better to just open a RB16B thread??

Thunder

Holm86 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 13:04
Thunder wrote:
There is an RB16B Thread. Ant that one is now opened. We just don't open Car Threads without official Material to discuss. And as it turns out that one Picture that was posted wasn't even an RB16B.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Holm86

Thunder wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 13:09
Holm86 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 13:04
Thunder wrote:
There is an RB16B Thread. Ant that one is now opened. We just don't open Car Threads without official Material to discuss. And as it turns out that one Picture that was posted wasn't even an RB16B.
Ahh okay, perfect :-)