Racing Point RP20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
izzy

Re: Racing Point RP20

wesley123 wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 13:25
People are discussing all about the exterior and aerodynamics. But there is one thing that is way more important in this scenario; packaging. Mercedes has put in significant amounts of work to get a rear end that is as tight as possible. Theirs is really extreme in that regard.

Last years Racing Point didn't even come close in that regard, yet for this year it is just as shrunk as the Mercedes is. You can copy the outside of a car, but not really the internals. And yet, Racing Point has somehow managed packaging all other midfield teams can dream of.
good point but they can have the packaging quite legally, as it's not 'bodywork'. Radiators, coolant, pipes, drawings, little clips, wiring, connectors, ducts, screws, whatever :) And they have plenty of engineers to work on it as well

This is what FIA decided to allow

JordanMugen

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 20:11
So we are expected to believe RP have copied merc with less shared parts, in 1 year and understood it all and got it working perfectly.
Yes, we are supposed to believe that. Racing Point are a sporting and honourable team after all. :)
wesley123 wrote:
Last years Racing Point didn't even come close in that regard, yet for this year it is just as shrunk as the Mercedes is. You can copy the outside of a car, but not really the internals. And yet, Racing Point has somehow managed packaging all other midfield teams can dream of.
Racing Point say that have designed this through their own skill. I see no reason to doubt that. :)

Ringleheim

Following the Tracing Point this year, at least through the first few races when it will probably be at its fastest, is going to be very interesting.

This has the potential to be the story of the season.

I think they are going to qualify well and might even finish well. If they truly have a new found speed they should not have, the question will then be if they can develop the car and maintain the speed throughout the year.

Conventional wisdom says they won't know how to develop the car; I don't think that's entirely correct. Will be very interesting to watch one way or the other.

Nflux

What does the FIA consider identical? If we place the W10 and RP20 in same garage could they swap all of the parts? What percentage of the parts are allowed to be allowed to be indentical? Can you take noise-cone off of the W10 and attach it to RP20 and vice-a-versa?

PlatinumZealot

wesley123 wrote:
People are discussing all about the exterior and aerodynamics. But there is one thing that is way more important in this scenario; packaging. Mercedes has put in significant amounts of work to get a rear end that is as tight as possible. Theirs is really extreme in that regard.

Look at last year's Racing Point again. It was quite tightly packaged! But anyway the 2020 RP engine cover is not a total Merc imitation as you can see.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

izzy

Andy Green on Sky saying the car will "look totally different" in Melbourne" :shock:

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

thestig84

W10 for comparison. Still looking for all these differences that journalists are claiming make this a W10b!? Anyone?

Thunder

Let's at least try to keep it at a technical Level shall we?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Blackout

Is RP also using a hidden water-air intercooler like Merc? I do not see any duct between the left sidepod heat exchanger (were FI used to put their air-air intercooler since 2014) and the intake plenum... Both of the intake plenum air ducts seem to go downside in 2020 while both ducts used to come from the left sidepod before
2014-2019:

Now:

Owen.C93

Still looks like an air intercooler to me, just packaged differently.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

GioKer32

Does anyone have a comparison between the brake drums of W10 and RP20?
Everyone knoes they're similar cars but I think it's not possible to make such similar brake drums without having the projects...Probably if you scrabbed the pink from the nose you would find a grey star :lol:

wesley123

GioKer32 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 13:29
Everyone knoes they're similar cars but I think it's not possible to make such similar brake drums without having the projects...Probably if you scrabbed the pink from the nose you would find a grey star :lol:
Here ya go;
Morteza wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:12
Some more similarities with W10

Via @NicolasF1i
bucker wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 12:26
Morteza wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:31
Via AMuS

These guys are brilliant. Engineers did an amazing copy.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

GioKer32

wesley123 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 13:37
GioKer32 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 13:29
Here ya go;
Morteza wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:12
Some more similarities with W10
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERKHgQdX0AAgWlD.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERKHgQuWsAgTYYB.jpg

These guys are brilliant. Engineers did an amazing copy.
Quite embarassing….A. Green (Racing Point technical director) said that they were inspired by that car, not that they repainted it… They undoubtely will be very fast, in particular in those races such as Silverstone, Melbourne and Barcelona, where the W10 dominated

kimetic

GioKer32 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 13:41
Quite embarassing….A. Green (Racing Point technical director) said that they were inspired by that car, not that they repainted it… They undoubtely will be very fast, in particular in those races such as Silverstone, Melbourne and Barcelona, where the W10 dominated
I don't think they are embarrassed, they are allowed to buy the suspension, brakes, hubs and wheels, it's only the brake ducts themselves that are listed this year, and once everything they connect to is the same they were never going to be very different. It's the same for Haas, Alpha Tauri and Alfa.