Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Morteza

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:Ferrari tests 2021 cut floor again, but with a winglet different to the one seen in Portugal
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sevach

Big Tea

When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

A great visualisation of what the air flow is doing behind the car. The device is shaped to be in line with the air so we can see by the shaping and the direction of the probes where the air is going. A flow vis made of metal. =D> :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

lio007

What do you think: slim / thin noses are the latest trend in the top teams. May Ferrari switch to this concept in 2021as well?
If so, I wonder if Ferrari will struggle the same way as Red Bull did this year. It took them quite a while to get in top of the cape and the slim nose.

MtthsMlw

lio007 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 22:03
What do you think: slim / thin noses are the latest trend in the top teams. May Ferrari switch to this concept in 2021as well?
If so, I wonder if Ferrari will struggle the same way as Red Bull did this year. It took them quite a while to get in top of the cape and the slim nose.
No, they will focus on the rear and spend their tokens there. They said that's where most performance gains can be made. Maybe a rear suspension geometry like Merc ran this year. However, you might need more than two tokens for that.
A cape is still doable without a slim nose, see the Williams for example.

lio007

MtthsMlw wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 22:16
lio007 wrote:
No, they will focus on the rear and spend their tokens there. They said that's where most performance gains can be made. Maybe a rear suspension geometry like Merc ran this year. However, you might need more than two tokens for that.
OK. I wasn't sure, if a new nose would need token or not. AFAIK aerodynamic surfaces are token-free. And the nose is an aero surface, at least kind of :-)

Sevach

lio007 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 22:22
MtthsMlw wrote:
lio007 wrote:
OK. I wasn't sure, if a new nose would need token or not. AFAIK aerodynamic surfaces are token-free. And the nose is an aero surface, at least kind of :-)
It's also a structural one, you can modify things like the cape underneath it freely, but if your nose is gonna require a new crash test you need to use tokens.

FDD
FDD

MtthsMlw wrote:
lio007 wrote:
It is not easy to say which type of nose is better solution, AT has wide nose with cape and some good results, RB implement this slim nose but nobody knows do they get gains that they expected, also Renault started with slim one and they are more competitive this season, McLaren switch in the middle of the season and I am not sure do they get some gains.
However I think that the most important part is quality of implementation in both cases.
I think that Ferrari does not need additional tokens for changing mounting positions of rear wishbones, can somebody confirm?

Big Tea

FDD wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 22:32
MtthsMlw wrote:
lio007 wrote:
It is not easy to say which type of nose is better solution, AT has wide nose with cape and some good results, RB implement this slim nose but nobody knows do they get gains that they expected, also Renault started with slim one and they are more competitive this season, McLaren switch in the middle of the season and I am not sure do they get some gains.
However I think that the most important part is quality of implementation in both cases.
I think that Ferrari does not need additional tokens for changing mounting positions of rear wishbones, can somebody confirm?
Did they not try out a couple of different nose designs throughout the year?
If the modification is based on one of these, it is not 'new' so should not cost tokens.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

aleks_ader

Big Tea wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 23:23

If the modification is based on one of these, it is not 'new' so should not cost tokens.
No! Anyway any change needs crashtest. ANd even if they use all tokens for rear. Doesnt matter. Any huge change before 2021 is waste of money and human resorces.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

MtthsMlw

FDD wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
lio007 wrote:
Outboard rear suspension is not frozen yet - will be in Melbourne. However the gearbox and rear impact structure is, as well as the inboard suspension elements.

FDD
FDD

Big Tea wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 23:23
FDD wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

I think that aleks_ader give the proper answer