Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Unf

Re: Ferrari SF1000

I'm afraid that Ferrari is going to play their game even tomorrow and just don't do any quali-performance laps during tests.

Then in Melbourne... we will see spectacular rising of the fenix or... spectatular disaster.

AMG.Tzan

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14846 ... bit-draggy

So apparently they have a lot of drag for trying to gain as much downforce!

But Vettel still insists that through corners others are faster...not a good situation to be in! That means then that their low top speeds don't only have to do with their low engine power modes...they are carrying drag!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

MtthsMlw

I wonder what is producing that much drag. Besides some details the car is rather similar to last year. I feel like they are exaggerating.
Pretty sure it got more drag but they're making it look like a really big deal.

Juzh

MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 23:15
I wonder what is producing that much drag. Besides some details the car is rather similar to last year. I feel like they are exaggerating.
Pretty sure it got more drag but they're making it look like a really big deal.
They're pulling some kind of stunt. Vettel was doing ~295 kmh on his race sim with no drs, and then he was doing ~307 on his "quali" sim with drs. I'll bet you any money they were doing quali sims on race engine maps.

wowgr8

Ringleheim wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 20:32
Either Ferrari was running huge amounts of fuel on the softest tires (which makes no sense whatsoever), or the car just isn't very fast.

Everything we have seen, heard, and observed through the first and second test to date supports the notion that it is the latter.

I will be curious to see how the Tracing Point stacks up against the Ferrari in qualifying at Albert Park, never mind the Mercedes and Red Bull.
Same here, it feels like they're in a battle with the pink cars, it will be interesting to see how that plays out re race pace and in qualifying

F1Krof

AMG.Tzan wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 22:56

But Vettel still insists that through corners others are faster...not a good situation to be in! That means then that their low top speeds don't only have to do with their low engine power modes...they are carrying drag!
I don't believe it. It's overly exaggerated.
Wroom wroom

AMG.Tzan

F1Krof wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 00:16
AMG.Tzan wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 22:56

I don't believe it. It's overly exaggerated.
Maybe last year's antics of being fastest in testing and then turning up in Melbourne 0.7 secs behind Mercedes have gotten into them so much so they said ok...this year we are going to sandbag as much as possible! :lol:

My question is: if a team is sandbagging so much...don't they lose precious data about their car?? I mean at some point for sure everyone must try a quick lap just to see how their car reacts in qualifying mode! And also test their engine limits and tire degradation in varying fuel loads.

And if the drag rumor is real...what's causing it?? After all the car is not so much different aerodynamically to last year's car it seems!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Just_a_fan

The Ferrari is slow because they're pulling one of these around the track:

(That's a tonne bag of sand (2200lb for the US contingent))

They'll turn up in Australia and stick it on pole by 3 tenths and everyone will be "oh, wow, where did that come from?". It's so blindingly obvious that they're trying to do a Toto/Mercedes from the past couple of years.

This car is going to be fast everywhere.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Racer X

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 01:21

https://www.sandbagsforsale.co.uk/wp-co ... 00x600.jpg

They'll turn up in Australia and stick it on pole by 3 tenths and everyone will be "oh, wow, where did that come from?". It's so blindingly obvious that they're trying to do a Toto/Mercedes from the past couple of years.

I cannot see your image.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Kalsi

This is Seb Onboard lap from today (Test2 Day2) in 1.16.8 with C5
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2020/ ... Day_2.html

Now... i don`t know what is going on with this year`s tyres compounds compared to last one but... i honestly doubt Ferrari lost 0.6 and i just think they are sandbagging.

Looking at the video you can clearly see:
- A big lift-off on the main straight at and end of the lap (Red light turning on on steering wheel and engine rev just stops increasing way before the finish line)
- Wide apexes with no understeer in turns 5-6-9 while perfectly on the apex on the rest of the track (great way to sandbag too)
- Very neat third sector with very good traction out of the final chicane
- Overall good looking and very driveable car on track

If we also take into account low engine modes rumors and the now famous last sector 26.0 done with c3 (or maybe it was even c2?) this car is not looking that bad at all to me.

JPBD1990

Talking about engine modes, Vettel said:

"We also turned up the power every now and then. But in laps where nobody was looking."

So he acknowledges they’re disguising their max power. This also ties in with what Binotto said about the Mercedes comments - they ARE using all their engine modes, just in ways that ensure people can’t tell. For example, low power (maybe race) engine modes on low fuel, high engine modes (Maybe quali) on high fuel.

This allows them to assess tire wear, engine performance, etc, while still disguising max pace.

This also addresses the ‘drag’ issue. Read between the lines. Everything they’re saying is true - they have more downforce and therefore more drag. It’s the media that has extrapolated ‘more drag’ to mean a ‘drag catastrophe’. Remember last week when Seb clocked 329kmh? Now this week 309 max?

I DO think they’re behind, but I DO think they’re sandbagging. I think Australia will be close.

Ringleheim

Just_a_fan wrote:

You seem to be overlooking the terminal understeer problem they are suffering from, among other problems.

I'm curious: why would they sandbag, especially if it means not being able to test the car under ideal conditions or with race power levels, etc.? What's in it for Ferrari to do this?

How do they benefit in any way with such a strategy?

F1Krof

Ringleheim wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 07:36
Just_a_fan wrote:

You seem to be overlooking the terminal understeer problem they are suffering from, among other problems.

I'm curious: why would they sandbag, especially if it means not being able to test the car under ideal conditions or with race power levels, etc.? What's in it for Ferrari to do this?

What terminal understeer?
Wroom wroom

AndersHP

Kalsi wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 03:16

Looking at the video you can clearly see:
- A big lift-off on the main straight at and end of the lap (Red light turning on on steering wheel and engine rev just stops increasing way before the finish line)
The sector doesn't end at the finish line, it's a long time before that. The red lights and lift-off happens as soon as the lap is completed. Naturally, he lifts his foot when the time is in the bank.

Last edited by AndersHP on 28 Feb 2020, 09:25, edited 2 times in total.

Juzh

F1Krof wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 09:11
Ringleheim wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 07:36
Just_a_fan wrote:

What terminal understeer?
You're kidding, right? This car demonstrates levels of understeer that dwarfs even it's predeccesor. Check out comparison below and see just how much time vettel loses by runing wide on entry in almost every corner. Lets just gope majority of this is down to track conditions being worse than last week or else they're in major trouble.

https://streamable.com/6qpee