NASCAR

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Just_a_fan

Re: NASCAR

None is more blind than he who will not see.

Love a game of idioms. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mclaren111

Guess we're going to see a few more Attention Seeking Jussie Smollett & Bubba Wallace "incidents" in the near future...

Enjoy the show... :lol: :lol:

mclaren111

Funny... :lol: :lol:

subcritical71

Maybe to you, it is actually quite obnoxious to me.

One act was an intentional deception, the other was the work of others. Bubba reacted to the information he was given at the time. I don't think he even saw the 'noose'.

The comparison is opportunistic at best and removes all context of the situations.

strad

I don't know but from what I have read Bubba never saw it. It was brought to the attention of NASCAR by a crew member.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mclaren111

strad wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 02:01
I don't know but from what I have read Bubba never saw it. It was brought to the attention of NASCAR by a crew member.

So what was he doing ranting about it on CNN with Don Lemon off all people...

subcritical71

As more info comes out, it seems it was indeed a noose, but it wasn’t targeted at Wallace.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020 ... ba-wallace

mclaren111

subcritical71 wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 09:53
As more info comes out, it seems it was indeed a noose, but it wasn’t targeted at Wallace.

Sadly we have to be careful where we get our news from these days...

Half the Media are Propaganda Generators... :cry: :cry:

Let's see if Hamilton has an "incident" / "hoax" in the near future...

Just_a_fan

mclaren111 wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 10:40
subcritical71 wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 09:53

Sadly we have to be careful where we get our news from these days...

Half the Media are Propaganda Generators... :cry: :cry:

Let's see if Hamilton has an "incident" / "hoax" in the near future...
Presumably the half that don't support your particular view of the world? That's called confirmation bias, by the way, and something that we all suffer from at times.

Just_a_fan

Now ya'll might think that's a normal way of creating a pull loop for a door, but I reckon that most people outside of the good ole South wouldn't think so. Indeed, it seems nowhere else other than that door had such a pull loop.
Nascar asked officials at every track to check their garages this week. Nascar said out of 1,684 garage stalls at 29 tracks, only 11 had a garage door pull-down rope tied in a knot. The only one fashioned in a noose was the one discovered Sunday by a crew member in Wallace’s No. 43 garage stall.
So I reckon there was no "over reaction", "hoax" or the like at all. Someone deliberately tied a noose on only one rope and it was the rope of garage used by the one black driver in the series.

mclaren111

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 14:13
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/3c5d2716 ... 4d48ace2ab

Now ya'll might think that's a normal way of creating a pull loop for a door, but I reckon that most people outside of the good ole South wouldn't think so. Indeed, it seems nowhere else other than that door had such a pull loop.
Nascar asked officials at every track to check their garages this week. Nascar said out of 1,684 garage stalls at 29 tracks, only 11 had a garage door pull-down rope tied in a knot. The only one fashioned in a noose was the one discovered Sunday by a crew member in Wallace’s No. 43 garage stall.
So I reckon there was no "over reaction", "hoax" or the like at all. Someone deliberately tied a noose on only one rope and it was the rope of garage used by the one black driver in the series.
Such BS... I grew up on a farm and tying rope like this was very, very common...
Last edited by Steven on 26 Jun 2020, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed instigation

nzjrs

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 14:13
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/3c5d2716 ... 4d48ace2ab

JAF - the full quote (posted in the guardian article) adds more context.
Phelps said Nascar had determined the noose was not in place when the October 2019 race weekend began but was created at some point during that weekend,” he said. “Given that timing and the garage access policies and procedures at the time, we were unfortunately unable to determine with any certainty who tied this rope in this manner or why it was done.”
The NYT article https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/spor ... llace.html adds further
Jay E. Town, the United States Attorney for the Northern District of Alabama, and Johnnie Sharp Jr., the head of the F.B.I.’s office in Birmingham, Ala., said that video footage showed the noose had been in the garage as early as October 2019, before anyone knew it would be assigned to Wallace for the Geico 500 on Monday.
(I have not included the link to the photo earlier in the thread that purports to be showing the state of the rope in October 2019 because I could not 100% verify it, however, that photo is a few pages back. It is congruent with the quotes in these newspapers).

The NYT article goes on to say
“I think we’ll gladly take a little embarrassment over what the alternatives could have been,” he added.

The discovery of the noose came amid national protests over police brutality and systemic racism following the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis last month, and NASCAR’s recent ban of the Confederate battle flag from its events and properties. Wallace, who called for the ban, had also unveiled a “Black Lives Matter” message on his racecar this month.

On Thursday, Phelps defended his initial response.

“Should we have toned that message down slightly? Maybe we should have,” he said. “And I’ll take responsibility for that. I stand by the actions that we took and I think they were the right ones.”
My position on this remains my position on most things. People need to dial down the rhetoric, the politics and associated mind reading a LOT!
Last edited by nzjrs on 26 Jun 2020, 17:52, edited 2 times in total.

RZS10

To add to the "not a single one out of 1648" ... there were 11 with loops tied into them but this one was the only one that visually matched a "noose" ... but it wasn't actually one since it was non-functioning (with the definition of a noose being that it tightens under load and can be loosened without) ... so it's clear that whoever tied it did it for ease of use of the garage door (you wouldn't want the loop to tighten on your hand whilst pulling, eh?) but overdid it with the aesthetics.

And as mentioned before in this thread, if you check old Nascar footage or footage from the pits from other events you'll see those knots over and over but maybe they weren't in place at too many racetracks because those who made them untied them towards the end of the events but that's just a guess why they couldn't find too many.

Jolle

I think NASCAR president Steve Phelps made a good comment about the whole situation:

“As you can see from the photo, the noose was real, as was our concern for Bubba,” Nascar president Steve Phelps said. “Based on the evidence we had, we thought our drivers – that one of our drivers had been threatened, a driver who had been extremely courageous in recent words and actions. It’s our responsibility to react and investigate, and that’s exactly what we did.”

strad

They all have some type of extension so you can pull the door down without having to jump up to grab the pull down.
I have used this type of commercial roll up door many times in my life and it's very common to have some type of rope etc to help in pulling the door down.
Don't remember ever seeing a noose but I can picture a team member tying a noose without any ill intent. It forms a handle that way.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss