COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Zynerji wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 21:22
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 20:16
Zynerji wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 16:34

And driver-driver radio would be awesome. Trash talking to each other during a race is something F1 has been missing out on.
What a horrible idea. That would be a total turn off.
I'd like to see a poll on that one.
I don't need a poll to tell me my opinion on the matter. Others might like it but I wouldn't be watching.

It sounds like a US-friendly sort of thing, to me.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy

Ross is saying there won't be any championship races unless all the teams can get there, but there could be non-championship races with less than all ten

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/team ... n/4713845/

Zynerji

izzy wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 00:09
Ross is saying there won't be any championship races unless all the teams can get there, but there could be non-championship races with less than all ten

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/team ... n/4713845/
I'd find it very difficult to justify the expenditure if running a race weekend with no constructors points to win. I mean, isn't it 100k$ just for 1 set of brake discs? Unless they offered just a cash prize for those races alone....

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 21:27
Zynerji wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 20:16

What a horrible idea. That would be a total turn off.
I don't need a poll to tell me my opinion on the matter. Others might like it but I wouldn't be watching.

JaF, I'd invite you to watch some of the big sim races on YouTube. Simdianapolis 500 was a very very well done race way back in 2009. I'd say with professional camera directing and professional commentators it would be very watchable.

Edit: seems the Simdy500 was never put on YouTube... I was watching it live, so never thought to look for it.

Lots of other examples out there however.

People take this very seriously... https://www.ebay.com/itm/303143891873
Last edited by Zynerji on 04 Mar 2020, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

RZS10

It would also mean additional engines and gearboxes ... not an issue for the big teams but additional costs for customers ... unless they'd use old ones from testing.

Zynerji

RZS10 wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 01:38
It would also mean additional engines and gearboxes ... not an issue for the big teams but additional costs for customers ... unless they'd use old ones from testing.
It would just turn into a glorified, in season, test. And the missing teams would need compensation or protest.

RZS10

Will be hard to decide between having a show race and not upsetting the fans or not having a race thus avoiding any situation in which any teams might have a disadvantage

adrianjordan

Rodak wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 21:26
adrianjordan wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 10:01
Lies, damned lies and statistics.

The figure of 0.1% for Influenza is 0.1% of the entire population. Though that fluctuates each year depending on a multitude of factors. Remember that figure is also despite immunisation programmes. The actual fatality rate for infected patients varies between 1 and 6% depending on strain etc.

The figures of 1-2% for Covid-19 are of infected patients. So yes, if everyone catches it the fatality rate will be much higher than flu, but it seems unlikely that everyone will catch it since even something that is similarly contagious like Norovirus doesn't infect 100% of the population.

The media is, as they so often do, comparing apples and oranges.

All the current measures are because we're in the containment phase, trying to limit the spread. Every independent expert I've heard from expects that to fail within the next month or two. After that life will go back to normal.
No, you are incorrect; the CFR (case fatality rate) is calculated from the ratio of cases to deaths, not the general population. From the National Institutes of Health:
The case fatality risk for a population is estimated as the number of H1N1pdm09-associated deaths divided by the number of H1N1pdm09 cases in that population. The numerator could be counts or estimates of the number of deaths among laboratory-confirmed cases, the number of deaths among symptomatic cases, or indirect estimates of the total number of deaths associated with H1N1pdm09. The denominator could be counts or estimates of the number of laboratory-confirmed H1N1pdm09 cases, the number of symptomatic H1N1pdm09 cases, or the number of infections.
Again, apples and oranges. I was not talking about CFR, I was talking simple percentages.

But you know what, what do I know. This is only the field I work in. I'm only a healthcare professional who is on the front line of this thing and receiving daily updates that are not being distorted by the media.

Next time you have someone experienced in F1 engineering on here I hope you treat them with the same level of disrespect.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

To add to that, the CFR for Influenza A varies wildy year on year and has ranged from as low as 0.1% to as high as 10% depending on the specific strain and which study you look at and whether the correct strain was chosen for vaccination programs that year.

Important points of note, there will be a lot of patients who have Flu A that never get formally diagnosed, because they will just self-care at home. Thanks to vaccination programmes, fewer people actually catch Flu than they would otherwise.

On the other hand, anyone who presents to a health system with cold/flu like symptoms in most developed countries at present will be getting tested for COVID-19. Therefore we will be detecting a higher percentage of actual cases.

Patients with COPD may die due to COPD but where the complications were caused by Flu. Many of these cases will simply be recorded as COPD or Pneumonia, even though that is secondary to Flu. Because of the focus on COVID-19 the equivalent patient groups for that virus will be far more likely to be accurately recorded.

I'm not saying it's not a serious virus for some people, I'm saying the media is building mass hysteria and social media is fueling that fire. The vast, vast majority of people will not die from this virus and it will, before long, become just another virus that is out there along with Flu and Norovirus amongst others.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

I do acknowledge that the estimated mortality rate has just been increased by WHO.

Rodak

Next time you have someone experienced in F1 engineering on here I hope you treat them with the same level of disrespect.
Wow. I wasn't insulting you, I was just disagreeing with your statistic. Get a grip.
Last edited by Rodak on 04 Mar 2020, 06:06, edited 2 times in total.

strad

"If a team is prevented from entering a country we can’t have a race. Not a Formula One world championship race, anyway, because that would be unfair,"
Brawn told Reuters at a sponsorship signing with betting partner 188BET.
So if a race country, decides to block a certain other country and there is a team or teams from that country we won't have a legitimate WC race in that country.
example.. Brazil blocks travel from Italy = no Brazilian championship race.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Titchener

adrianjordan wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 02:08
To add to that, the CFR for Influenza A varies wildy year on year and has ranged from as low as 0.1% to as high as 10% depending on the specific strain and which study you look at and whether the correct strain was chosen for vaccination programs that year.

Important points of note, there will be a lot of patients who have Flu A that never get formally diagnosed, because they will just self-care at home. Thanks to vaccination programmes, fewer people actually catch Flu than they would otherwise.

On the other hand, anyone who presents to a health system with cold/flu like symptoms in most developed countries at present will be getting tested for COVID-19. Therefore we will be detecting a higher percentage of actual cases.

Patients with COPD may die due to COPD but where the complications were caused by Flu. Many of these cases will simply be recorded as COPD or Pneumonia, even though that is secondary to Flu. Because of the focus on COVID-19 the equivalent patient groups for that virus will be far more likely to be accurately recorded.

I'm not saying it's not a serious virus for some people, I'm saying the media is building mass hysteria and social media is fueling that fire. The vast, vast majority of people will not die from this virus and it will, before long, become just another virus that is out there along with Flu and Norovirus amongst others.
Thank you for your insight and the work you do. I completely agree about it being very hyped up. In the UK its as if we needed something else to cover on the news now Brexit isn't mentioned every 5 minutes.

Chene_Mostert

Zynerji wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 01:30
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 21:27
Zynerji wrote:

JaF, I'd invite you to watch some of the big sim races on YouTube. Simdianapolis 500 was a very very well done race way back in 2009. I'd say with professional camera directing and professional commentators it would be very watchable.

Edit: seems the Simdy500 was never put on YouTube... I was watching it live, so never thought to look for it.

Lots of other examples out there however.

People take this very seriously... https://www.ebay.com/itm/303143891873
The Soya version of racing... Sorry if upsetting the geeks but sim is just that. Its just not the real thing.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

wickedz50

Why is FIA not coming up with clarity on the upcoming races where there is serious travel ban from Airlines and Local Govt authorities? so much of confusion and yet no one is bothered.