COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
izzy
izzy

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Big Tea wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 00:31
izzy wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 00:17
normally encouraging plenty of kissing would be good :kiss: (there) but right now it's not. we have to slow the spread down, as much as possible, so that health services aren't overwhelmed and there's time to develop a vaccine before too many die
It is very probable that the virus wold mutate year on year and a vaccine working on this years would not prevent next years 'version' as is the case with 'flu' now.

Kissing could still cause pregnancy, though indirectly.
yes, though they beat SARS-cov didn't they, more or less, even tho it mutates. Pregnancy would be even more irresponsible if you ask me

(glad you got away with your irresponsible cruise btw :P hope you had a good time )

LM10
LM10

siskue2005 wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 23:28
LM10 wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 22:21
Restomaniac wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 19:42
Im not so sure. I am personally worried about how few cases from Africa, India and South America are being discovered. I do hope there isn’t a hidden pandemic in poorer parts of the world that due to lack a good medical health (which is a disgrace to our species) that is going totally unnoticed.
Poor countries won’t be able to test even close to as much as rich countries. A test kit for that Coronavirus is enough for 50 individual tests and costs $1600.
I m interested to know where u got that value from?? Any source of that??
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN20U085

Here’s the source.

To whoever disliked my post: Thank you for voting negative because I wrote what Afghanistan’s health ministry told.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 00:27

and i mean it is a weird Chinese virus that arose from their unpleasant ways with animals and it can mutate, so it probably is best to not assume too much
"Unpleasant ways with animals"

What?

Remember that the thing that makes you work - mitochondria - is likely a thing that invaded an early cell line. Don't assume all infection is necessarily bad.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

langedweil

Big Tea wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 00:31
It is very probable that the virus wold mutate year on year and a vaccine working on this years would not prevent next years 'version' as is the case with 'flu' now.
So, I'd say just let it come and I will create my own antibodies ...
HuggaWugga !

JonoNic

izzy wrote: Pregnancy would be even more irresponsible if you ask me

(glad you got away with your irresponsible cruise btw hope you had a good time )
I actually think that there may be an increase in pregnancies in the next 9 months. Most likely in China, Korea, Japan and Italy. Coronavirus boom
Always find the gap then use it.

Rodak
Rodak

JonoNic wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 02:53
izzy wrote: Pregnancy would be even more irresponsible if you ask me

(glad you got away with your irresponsible cruise btw hope you had a good time )
I actually think that there may be an increase in pregnancies in the next 9 months. Most likely in China, Korea, Japan and Italy. Coronavirus boom
Yep, The huge 1965 Northeast US and Canada blackout did lead to a serious bump in births nine months later.........

PlatinumZealot

People locked inside. Nothing else to do but make babies. Little corona babies.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Rodak
Rodak

izzy wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 22:56
astracrazy wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 21:57
As a fan, we should ask ourselves, do we really want a season defined by the virus? No.

If the trajectory continues with the virus, this season is going to turn into a complete --- show.

They should delay this season by a year. These cars race next year and the rule changes turn into 2022. Prob not a bad thing anyway.

Things take a turn a look better, then host non-championship races with last years cars trying out all these ideas Brawn has. Cheap tickets will fill the seats.

Money loss will be the main factor of this though, of course, which is the problem anyway.
F1 must not cause any extra deaths. After that, life has to go on as @DChemTech says, and F1 can lead the way in doing it the best way, with screening, being careful, taking the best expert advice and not kissing people you don't know fairly well already :mrgreen:

so personally i'm relying on FIA to be ethical and smart about it, and the host countries too which they seem to be, and super excited about the season that's about to start at long, long last
Really, F1 is a business; they are concerned about profit and lose, not ethics and morality. If they can't make a profit they will be out of business. They will do everything they can to continue as usual, not for ethical or moral reasons, but for business reasons. When is the last time you've heard of any for profit business giving up profit for ethical reasons? I'm just saying they won't act for such reasons; the MBA's of the world are not taught to run a business for the greater good, but rather just for profit, and mostly for short term profit. The world could be ending and there will be someone out there hoarding those dollars......

nzjrs

izzy wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 00:27
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 00:17
So, like other such virus, droplet spread via coughing is likely. As I said.

Spread via contaminated surfaces is likely to mimic similar virus and thus is a risk for a few hours at most. A good wipe down with disinfectant (or strong soap solution) is likely to be an effective way to limit surface-touch spread.
yes and NHS said droplets too, but they also said they don't know exactly, and then you said they do know. So although i do respect your posting this time you are up against it :)

and i mean it is a weird Chinese virus that arose from their unpleasant ways with animals and it can mutate, so it probably is best to not assume too much
Oh FFS. You think the virus is going to grow legs and walk.

henry

DChemTech wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 22:30
Or maybe we should not overreact by cancelling all of daily life and spending insane amounts of money on ineffective measures to 'combat' a disease which, as far as lethality goes, still lies way below hunger, pollution, poor diet, lack of exercise, malaria, etc.
We shall see how ineffective the measures are.

The lethality of the disease varies enormously with age. Up to age 40 it’s not very lethal. For people in their 70s it’s 10% and in the 80s 15%. That’s Russian roulette territory.

As for the other causes of death you cite people can take my own individual precautions against them but they can’t take individual precautions against a virus. Well maybe they can self isolate for the duration.

Edit: China and South Korea are today , 9 march, both reporting a fall in cases. Let’s hope it’s real and that the measures they’ve evolved work and can be replicated worldwide.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

DChemTech
DChemTech

henry wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 10:39
DChemTech wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 22:30
Or maybe we should not overreact by cancelling all of daily life and spending insane amounts of money on ineffective measures to 'combat' a disease which, as far as lethality goes, still lies way below hunger, pollution, poor diet, lack of exercise, malaria, etc.
We shall see how ineffective the measures are.

The lethality of the disease varies enormously with age. Up to age 40 it’s not very lethal. For people in their 70s it’s 10% and in the 80s 15%. That’s Russian roulette territory.

As for the other causes of death you cite people can take my own individual precautions against them but they can’t take individual precautions against a virus. Well maybe they can self isolate for the duration.
They can't against air pollution either - that relies on governmental measurements. In the Netherlands, a reasonably developed country, an estimated 10.000 people die prematurely each year due to pollution. That's 2-4x more than due to the typical flu-wave (although that also reaches 10.000 on occasion). But whenever it comes to reducing pollution, taking 10.000 lives structurally, the standard counter-argument is 'that would hugely harm the economy'. Meanwhile, we are spending way, way much more to combat a disease which maybe at it's worst would take 10.000 lives, this year (and has taken 3 so far).

Note that with 'ineffective measures' I don't mean - all -measures taken. Vigilance is in order. People in specific demographics (elderly, poor health) can take personal precautions, avoiding certain events. Their family/friends can also opt to keep a distance in case of doubt. It's probably easier to take precautions here, than for people in drought-stricken regions to take precautions against hunger and associated health issues.

But does that mean sports events, conferences, etc. massively need to be cancelled? Work life needs to be disrupted completely, even if that means that several (healthy) entrepreneurs get into huge financial trouble? Does that mean companies need to mandate their personnel working from home, even if they are perfectly healthy and doing so greatly reduces their productivity? Does it mean supermarkets need to be practically plundered? I don't think so. Vigilance is in order, but we are vastly overreacting. The virus is inconvenient and precautions are valid, but there humanity has much bigger fish to fry, which are currently responded to with much more indifference.

edit: so yeah, I hope we can strike a balance; find some effective measures to minimize impact on the sensitive demographics, while avoiding general overreaction and allowing for life to continue in some normal manner. If that involves driving a race or two behind closed doors, so be it. If that involves a precautionary approach to when to meet in large groups, or towards taking sick leave and self-isolation, sure. Cancelling an entire season of F1 as some suggest here is, in my view, overreacting however.
Last edited by DChemTech on 09 Mar 2020, 11:10, edited 2 times in total.

nzjrs

Some science for the interested. Here is a review of the persistence of similar viruses on surfaces: https://www.journalofhospitalinfection. ... ltext#sec5

Here is a preprint for a new test kit: read the paper and if you are a Molecular biologist you can order the primers listed and test yourself following the protocol. That paper cites the original nature one for the original qpcr test.

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 01:00
"Unpleasant ways with animals"

What?

Remember that the thing that makes you work - mitochondria - is likely a thing that invaded an early cell line. Don't assume all infection is necessarily bad.
I'm not assuming anything apart from NHS probably know what they're talking about. The whole coronavirus family probably arose from the way the Chinese intermingled ducks and pigs, and they've only just debunked the theory this mutation kicked off in a wildlife meat market. It was news they've suspended eating dogs and cats

izzy
izzy

nzjrs wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 10:20
Oh FFS. You think the virus is going to grow legs and walk.
It's a mutation. These new viral infections are all about mutation

enri_the_red
enri_the_red

Ringleheim wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 19:12
Maranello is already under lockdown! I don't understand how the Ferrari team is supposed to be able to travel from the factory to the races freely, and if there is no Ferrari ,there is no F1.
The recently implemented travel restriction (and strictly speaking travels aren't forbidden but just "to be avoided") in northern Italy doesn't concern those who travel for work.