[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jjn9128

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Stu wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 16:28
Whether I get it entered or not I think that I will have a go at designing, only got 2D CAD though
Start in 2-d extrusions. More complexity can be added later. Just giving it a go is a great start!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Hutchie.91

variante wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 10:38
You got it. You're also supposed to run some CFD yourself, if you want to have any hope of achieving good results. You can do so with a software of your choice, or with the one provided by MantiumCAE, which is super easy to use.
What free CFD software would you recommend to use? Is OpenFoam fairly straight forward to setup on a Windows machine since from memory I believe it runs on Linux? I used SimScale for my dissertation when I had to do my third year at home due to Covid and that definitely wasn't too bad, but Im sure I used up all my cloud hours, and not sure if I can just sign up with a new account for more. Obviously Star-CCM and Ansys are out of the window and Ansys' home student license is too restrictive anyway.

Is ManitumCAE free to use as well?

jjn9128

Hutchie.91 wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 17:17
variante wrote:
You got it. You're also supposed to run some CFD yourself, if you want to have any hope of achieving good results. You can do so with a software of your choice, or with the one provided by MantiumCAE, which is super easy to use.
What free CFD software would you recommend to use? Is OpenFoam fairly straight forward to setup on a Windows machine since from memory I believe it runs on Linux? I used SimScale for my dissertation when I had to do my third year at home due to Covid and that definitely wasn't too bad, but Im sure I used up all my cloud hours, and not sure if I can just sign up with a new account for more. Obviously Star-CCM and Ansys are out of the window and Ansys' home student license is too restrictive anyway.

The MVRC is idiot proofed openfoam - just put your geometry in, click a couple of boxes, and set it off. It's based on bluecoreCFD which is openfoam bundled with a linux emulator. I would say this competition is has an element of "gaming" the CFD.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

CAEdevice

jjn9128 wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 17:46
Hutchie.91 wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 17:17
variante wrote:

The MVRC is idiot proofed openfoam - just put your geometry in, click a couple of boxes, and set it off. It's based on bluecoreCFD which is openfoam bundled with a linux emulator. I would say this competition is has an element of "gaming" the CFD.
Indeed it is a competition for aerodynamics designers and not for numerical analysts, even if skills in CFD can help (for example to set up simulations with different detail, usually reduced to speed up the project setting, or to predict the effects of some details geometric).

Stu

Are the rules/legality boxes available yet?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Koldskaal

Stu wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 21:41
Are the rules/legality boxes available yet?
Yes! see the 2022 topic for details :D

:arrow: viewtopic.php?p=1065479#p1065479
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian