Block in developments to save costs

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ENGINE TUNER

Re: Block in developments to save costs

ispano6 wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 07:07

Just salary cap the drivers at a few million and the rest of the money can go back to development.
No idea what your suggestion has to do with the previous discussion but it is wrong to cap the drivers salary when they are the only ones putting their lives and health in danger. The team owners salary is not capped nor are the engineers nor is the head janitors salary capped for that matter. The drivers deserve every penny that they sign for, this is their life's pursuit and in actuality have few other places to sell their skills.

A properly designed token system will lower the cost of development and still allow for teams that are behind to catch up to improve the competition. It will be difficult because of the aero variation necessary from track to track, but it is not impossible.

izzy

There's always this pressure to make F1 cheaper and 'closer racing', it's self defeating but they just can't help themselves. They should just share the prize money out equally and leave it at that. Leave it ridiculously expensive and awesome and not F2

Obviously they all love the idea of F1 for less, but the budget cap is just a cheat's charter and the smaller they make it the worse it'll be and a bigger part of the story. It'll widen the gap to F1.5 not reduce it

I wish they'd just do the redistribution and make sure to do some racing so there's TV money and sponsor money to share out, after all they're already using this year's cars next year

Jolle

As a lefty I'm very on the fence of this cost capping and blocking in developments. Of course it's nice to have a more equal playing field and help small teams going trough this crisis... but... Formula one is a multi billion company with multiple companies investing tens of millions of dollars every year. A cost cap or block in developments will mean one way or the other that engineers will loose their job.

there is a lot of money going around F1, a better distribution would be a better idea in my opinion. Where teams get enough of a cut from the FOM money to develop a car and run a race team. Big players like Petronas, Daimler, Philip Morris and RedBull will invest anyway.

ENGINE TUNER

Jolle wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 10:33
As a lefty I'm very on the fence of this cost capping and blocking in developments. Of course it's nice to have a more equal playing field and help small teams going trough this crisis... but... Formula one is a multi billion company with multiple companies investing tens of millions of dollars every year. A cost cap or block in developments will mean one way or the other that engineers will loose their job.

there is a lot of money going around F1, a better distribution would be a better idea in my opinion. Where teams get enough of a cut from the FOM money to develop a car and run a race team. Big players like Petronas, Daimler, Philip Morris and RedBull will invest anyway.
The problem is that the liberty parasites knowingly bought stolen goods from a man under indictment for bribery. The 99 year lease to liberty should be rendered null and void and ownership of the commercial rights should be returned to the teams as it should be before Bernie double crossed them. Liberty take out more money than the top 5 teams receive every year, that is not a sustainable model.

ispano6

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 07:30
ispano6 wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 07:07

Just salary cap the drivers at a few million and the rest of the money can go back to development.
No idea what your suggestion has to do with the previous discussion but it is wrong to cap the drivers salary when they are the only ones putting their lives and health in danger. The team owners salary is not capped nor are the engineers nor is the head janitors salary capped for that matter. The drivers deserve every penny that they sign for, this is their life's pursuit and in actuality have few other places to sell their skills.

A properly designed token system will lower the cost of development and still allow for teams that are behind to catch up to improve the competition. It will be difficult because of the aero variation necessary from track to track, but it is not impossible.
We are talking about costs aren't we? I'm merely pointing out the disparity of some drivers earning far more than teams ought to be paying. It's not like the drivers are designing the cars or putting long hours and sleepless nights to deliver a winning car. The engineers with the dark rings under their eyes looking 10years older than they really are, that's where my thoughts go out to. Applying a token system will never work because you can't equally quantify the worth of a token to money and time spent with the true cost being at the detriment of the well being of the engineers willing to put in extra or personal time. You pay the price somewhere.

The only fair token system is teams using tokens to buy standardized parts from the FIA that neutral suppliers sell in an open F1 marketplace. Then teams don't have to spend money on development and only the FIA has to oversee suppliers and their profits. But what's the point in that, that's pretty much Indy(2 horse race) and F2. In F1, you need to pay to play. The team and manufacturer that wants to win the most will spend the most.

ENGINE TUNER

ispano6 wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 18:06
We are talking about costs aren't we? I'm merely pointing out the disparity of some drivers earning far more than teams ought to be paying. It's not like the drivers are designing the cars or putting long hours and sleepless nights to deliver a winning car. The engineers with the dark rings under their eyes looking 10years older than they really are, that's where my thoughts go out to. Applying a token system will never work because you can't equally quantify the worth of a token to money and time spent with the true cost being at the detriment of the well being of the engineers willing to put in extra or personal time. You pay the price somewhere.

The only fair token system is teams using tokens to buy standardized parts from the FIA that neutral suppliers sell in an open F1 marketplace. Then teams don't have to spend money on development and only the FIA has to oversee suppliers and their profits. But what's the point in that, that's pretty much Indy(2 horse race) and F2. In F1, you need to pay to play. The team and manufacturer that wants to win the most will spend the most.
What drivers are being paid more than they should be? Other than Vettel(and Grosjean) who is on an unprecedentedly poor form for a multi wdc driver, who is over paid? Most F1 drivers are under paid, with several bringing in their own sponsors and pay. The drivers train rigorously for hours a day and put in the same amount of hard work as the engineers, just in a different way. We've all heard the stories of Senna and Rosberg and others wearing out their engineers long into the night.

They quantify the "cost" of a token before the tokens are distributed by estimating what each part costs to upgrade with previous knowledge, it is not just a shot in the dark. It's not an exact science, but it is a good enough approximation.