Lift on upshift on early semi auto boxes in F1?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
saviour stivala

Re: Lift on upshift on early semi auto boxes in F1?

Jolle wrote:
02 May 2020, 09:40
gold333 wrote:
02 May 2020, 07:46
Thanks for the replies but this thread has confused me more than it has helped.

I’m confused by the sometimes contrasting replies.

So to be clear: did early semi automatic gearboxes in F1 (say a 1991 Ferrari 642 or 643) require a lift on upshift or was it programmed in the ECU?
It was programmed in the ECU. Driver just kept his foot down
Correct. Lift/throttle-blip resulted/was effected by ignition cut with the advent of the semi automatic sequential gearbox. I remember around that time or most probably before that time race car stick-shift gearboxes including salon car racing gearboxes with the stick-shift (gear-lever) sticking out and right on top of the gearbox being converted (kits for sale) so as the gear change-stick/gear-lever will blip the throttle when moved from one gear to another by use of micro-switches.

gold333

Ok... but the sound in this vide at: 3:14s

Sounds as if it was not programmed well and it would have been better for the car if the driver lifted slightly.

Or because he is not upshifting at high enough revs the ECU is blipping too high...

Because when Mansell does it it's fine:

F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

CMSMJ1

Listening to the Gary Anderson Podcasts from The Race - he mentioned that his first attempt at Semi Auto box was based on the motorcycle sequential gearbox. He bought a bike - understood the concept and built a gearbox.

Due to flex it would select two gears on occasion and destroy itself...

He asks for questions to kick off the discussions - perhaps this might well be one for him to expand upon?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM