2020 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 10-12 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Pyrone89

Re: 2020 Grosser Preis der Steiermark - Spielberg, 10 - 12 July

zibby43 wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 16:26
Per Albert Fabrega, Merc was able to address its gearbox sensor issues. No gearbox-related penalties are necessary.
Jesus, that team is just unbeatable. So even when they encounter a (by their own words) critical problem they can fix it in 3 days. Yeah good luck competition with that. Basically if either (and we all know which one it is gonna be, and it is not gonna be the Finnish lapdog) of the Mercedes drivers fails to win the WDC in this car and team by anything but a country mile they shouldn't even be considered top class for 2020. I mean, probably all the magazines will rate them at the top again, failing to take into account just how dominant their machines are.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

f1316

zibby43 wrote:
Per Albert Fabrega, Merc was able to address its gearbox sensor issues. No gearbox-related penalties are necessary.
I mean, who knows what to believe any more but according to this Mercedes say they haven’t and can’t easily create a fix:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... =widget-22

dans79

Pyrone89 wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 22:18
I mean, probably all the magazines will rate them at the top again, failing to take into account just how dominant their machines are.
Sigh, it's always been the case that drivers in the best cars get the best ratings.

People who complain about this, always seem to ignore that they got into those cars for a reason!
197 104 103 7

Pyrone89

dans79 wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 23:25
Pyrone89 wrote:
I mean, probably all the magazines will rate them at the top again, failing to take into account just how dominant their machines are.
Sigh, it's always been the case that drivers in the best cars get the best ratings.

People who complain about this, always seem to ignore that they got into those cars for a reason!
Euhm nope, enough times when the best drivers did not necessarily got the best cars. Schumacher end of 90's, Alonso in 10's, Senna in early 90's when Williams started to dominate, and probably many more.

That is just a myth that has been created by people that do not want to aknowledge just how dominant the Merc team and car has been these past 7 seasons and think Lewis is some kind of god based on massively inflated stats because of that.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Sieper

Let’s not go down that road again. Let’s just hope RBR can really challenge Merc this year. Ferrari I am perfectly happy with that they take some time to recover from what they did the last years, and especially since summer break. Mclaren is also inching closer season over season it seems so maybe We Can see some real prove of just how good Everybody can drive. Though Merc seemed in a league of it’s own for this first race (and wintertest as well).

PlatinumZealot

Ringleheim wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 20:21
All you folks bitching about Sky's coverage of F1 should try the usual USA level of F1 broadcasting with the likes of David Hobbs, Steve Matchett, and Leigh Diffey. Before that, it was Bob Varsha.

Then there's Ted, who for some reason I just can't stand. He strikes me as a total douche in real life.

Nonetheless, the depth of coverage and knowledge present among the team is quite good.

The best F1 coverage I have ever seen was in the good old BBC days with Murray Walker and James Hunt. It's never going to get better than that, but it's never going to go back to that style anyway.

So we have to make due with reality. I do enjoy the fact that SKY seems to rotate guys in and out and we don't see the entire crew at every race.
Yeah.. Chandock.. I wouldn't say its his accent. It is a Weird indian British blend. But it's not a strong accent. It just his weird way of speaking.
I quite liked listening to Vijay Malya's accent. Chandock has this annoying thing with his voice... But other than that he has very good commentary. He took a while to find his feet but he came good.

I actually like Paul Diresta's accent. I like scottish accent and their way of speaking. More "sharper" than the typical English.

Brundle.. His jokes are classic.. Though oft repeated, the always make me smile. The "chocolate fire gaurd" always gets me.

Ted is.... He is annoying but very watchable somehow. Quiet experienced guy. Very good presenter.

Didn't get to experience Murray Walker... I started on SpeedVision... American coverage... To be honest.. It was just to blase' for me, but its all I had until TSN started showing the BBC feed.

The MVPs on sky are Brundle, Anthony Davidson and sad to say it, Ted for his notebook.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Pyrone89 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
Jesus, that team is just unbeatable. So even when they encounter a (by their own words) critical problem they can fix it in 3 days. Yeah good luck competition with that. Basically if either (and we all know which one it is gonna be, and it is not gonna be the Finnish lapdog) of the Mercedes drivers fails to win the WDC in this car and team by anything but a country mile they shouldn't even be considered top class for 2020. I mean, probably all the magazines will rate them at the top again, failing to take into account just how dominant their machines are.
Silver foil... :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

matt_b

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 00:11
Ringleheim wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 20:21
All you folks bitching about Sky's coverage of F1 should try the usual USA level of F1 broadcasting with the likes of David Hobbs, Steve Matchett, and Leigh Diffey. Before that, it was Bob Varsha.

Then there's Ted, who for some reason I just can't stand. He strikes me as a total douche in real life.

Nonetheless, the depth of coverage and knowledge present among the team is quite good.

The best F1 coverage I have ever seen was in the good old BBC days with Murray Walker and James Hunt. It's never going to get better than that, but it's never going to go back to that style anyway.

So we have to make due with reality. I do enjoy the fact that SKY seems to rotate guys in and out and we don't see the entire crew at every race.

Brundle.. His jokes are classic.. Though oft repeated, the always make me smile. The "chocolate fire gaurd" always gets me.

You cant beat his 50 pence piece joke when a car has a flat spot, repeated but always brings a smile :lol:

zibby43

f1316 wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 23:22
zibby43 wrote:
I mean, who knows what to believe any more but according to this Mercedes say they haven’t and can’t easily create a fix:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... =widget-22
That article was based on Merc's "debrief" YouTube video, which was published today, but filmed earlier in the week. Fabrega has access to more recent information. He's one of the few journalists that has access to the Austrian paddock, while most other journos are working remotely.

To piggyback on Fabrega:

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mercedes ... box-issue/

foxmulder_ms

I cannot wait, is it Sunday yet. Hope the qualy is rain free, race can be fun with rain as long as people I am rooting do well :D

NathanOlder

Looks like 100% rain on Saturday still.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

JPBD1990

Brundle is the only part of sky coverage I enjoy. I think I’m in a minority (?) but when he’s done sky will be 100% verifiably intolerable.

Is it wrong that I preferred James Allen to David Croft?

mkay

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 11:11
Yep, and it shouldn't be a drizzle. Given how overcautious race control was during last weekend's race, it wouldn't surprise me if they push for qualifying on Sunday morning.

Wouter

mkay wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 11:47
NathanOlder wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 11:11
Yep, and it shouldn't be a drizzle. Given how overcautious race control was during last weekend's race,
it wouldn't surprise me if they push for qualifying on Sunday morning.
Me neither.

https://www.yr.no/place/Austria/Styria/ ... /long.html
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

JPBD1990 wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 11:12

Is it wrong that I preferred James Allen to David Croft?
That's like preferring a migraine to toothache. Both are worse than useless.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.