2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
foxmulder_ms

Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

I am loving Lewis+Merc dominatiON!!!

As Peter said "What we have seen at Hungary is the epitome of the art."

LM10

The Mercedes hunting down the Ferrari and RedBull, not to fight for the win, but... to lap them.

foxmulder_ms

MtthsMlw wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 17:19
What's the penalty for drying the grid box? Albon under investigation.
He is lying when everyone watching him already knows he is lying :D lol.

El Scorchio

xwz wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:06
F1NAC wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 20:11
Penalty for both Haas cars for instructing drivers to pit (+10s). Also no penalty for Albon
To fine the Haas drivers for violating a regulation worded "the driver must drive the car alone and unaided" is a bit questionable when looking at their full radio exchanges.

Both drivers raised the question of pitting on their own, independantly from their race engineers.

(Magnusson: "We're ill-fitted, there's a dry line already", Grosjean: "Track's drying up - one could be tempted to go for slicks" [spoiler: re-translated from German, source: motorsport-total.com]
After some consideration, the engineers came back with: "OK, box!", and for this they got fined.)
Had they said "We're ready in case you want to come in, but it's totally your own decision", would they be fine now? If yes, the whole thing is a bit hair-splitting, isn't it?

I would see it like this: As both drivers initiated the question about going for slicks individually and un-aided, the spirit of regulation 27.1. can be considered not having been broken, therefore no fine necessary.

On the other hand, I can't understand how Red Bull gets away with drying the asphalt with blowers - dry spots were clearly visable, contrary to Horner's flapsy comment - in a situation where it's hard to understand why there would be any need of external cooling at all at that point in time? Do I miss some information here?
It’s a joke when you compare all those incidents directly and then learn which ones received the penalties and which didn’t. Quite how Red Bull didn’t get punished, I literally cannot fathom.

NathanOlder

RedBull certainly get more than their fair share of leniency from the Stewards. Everything seems to have gone their way this season. When was the last time they were 'hard done by'?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:36
The Mercedes hunting down the Ferrari and RedBull, not to fight for the win, but... to lap them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdS700GWAAQ ... name=large
That's quite astonishing really. Sure, the RedBull there is the lower placed one of the two, but the Ferrari was the top placed red car. Unless something bizarre happens, Ferrari and RedBull have handed at the WCC and, probably, the WDC to Mercedes. It's almost as if Mercedes were the only team to bring a new car to the season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ME4ME

NathanOlder wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:49
RedBull certainly get more than their fair share of leniency from the Stewards. Everything seems to have gone their way this season. When was the last time they were 'hard done by'?
What other decisions do you think have been lenient this year?

Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
LM10 wrote:

That's quite astonishing really. Sure, the RedBull there is the lower placed one of the two, but the Ferrari was the top placed red car. Unless something bizarre happens, Ferrari and RedBull have handed at the WCC and, probably, the WDC to Mercedes. It's almost as if Mercedes were the only team to bring a new car to the season.
It's 1988 all over again...

Manoah2u

Re: Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

How the hell Max managed to get this race result after horrible qually and that horrendeous crash to the grid. that was bonkers and just amazing.

There is a thing however in regards to Bottas, and that is, apart from the thing where with the stop and the car handed to him, i think he should have been able to actually be closer to verstappen much faster and put in a fight, probably SHOULD have gotten that P2 in the end, so i cannot but see 'Bottas 3.0' being nothing but same old 'bottas'.
HOWEVER, i do wonder very much, would a GOOD start not have been enough for Bottas to never have lost his place to Max?

The 'mistaken start' did after all cause him to not have the start he could and should. Would that not have happened, then what would have been the result?
At the same time though, though Sky pointed out clearly WHY he did not get a penalty, it remains a thing though that he's lucky there. If he DID get a penalty,
then pretty guaranteed that Max would have had P2 even if Bottas slipped in front of him.

PERHAPS then, and that's what i am wondering in the back of my mind, is could it be that Bottas ACTUALLY decided for himself that it was not 'worth the risk' to risk a collision with Max and either get a DNF, or lose valuable time/places if he actually was EXPECTING to get a penalty. After all, if Bottas was 90% sure he would have a penalty EITHER WAY, perhaps even AFTER the race, then SURELY that penalty would get him BACK behind Max' RedBull on P2.
Concidering the gap to P4, then Bottas would do good to make sure he has enough of a gap to simply 'keep' P3 without taking any risks.

Still, i do believe in the end that it's more a case of 'classic Bottas'.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Hoffman900

Restomaniac wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:27
piast9 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:03
By the way, I've reviewed on-boards of Botas and Hamilton from the start. In Botas' car the first part of the shift indicator LED bar (which is red) lit on for few seconds before the start and then went off. That disappearing red light triggered Botas to start. He mentioned it in the interview. In Hamilton's car shift indicator was not lit.
If Bottas was looking at his rev indicator instead of the actual things he needed to be looking at (the 5 big red lights) then he’s a dumbass. It’s an excuse just as the brake glazing was an excuse last week.
Those are pretty declarative statements for someone who probably has never competed in a racing car (or motorcycle for that matter).

I've seen camera flashes cause drag racers to red light. How these guys train with the speed lights, it absolutely makes sense. You are absolutely 100% wiring your brain to react when a light goes out. In drag racing, if you're not reacting before it goes green, you're going to lose.

Brake glazing is a thing, even in cars with steel rotors and it sucks.

I am not a Bottas fanboi, but let's stick to facts. He could be making excuses about the brakes, but let's be real, neither one of us have as clue, and if we did, we probably wouldn't be posting about it here.

Max did a great job today and put the laps in needed to hold Bottas off. I haven't watched the extent of how traffic played into it. Not sure if Max got better breaks in traffic or not. Valteri had the speed, but probably needed a lap, maybe two to do it. This is a bit on Valteri... just a few tenths more a lap would have gotten him there a bit sooner.

Lewis showed why he is one of the GOATs. He's the best driver (in terms of talent + experience) on the grid and in the best car. It shows.

Not a fan of Lance at all, but he's showing he at least belongs on the grid and isn't an embarrassment like other well funded drivers have been in the past. I expected more from Sergio today, and I know he is capable of more.

I thought Albon did a good job. He clearly was happier with the car today. I hope they can build off whatever they found. If RB runs him off as well, I think RB looks like damaged goods. Maybe not to anyone who just wants a shot, but anyone with any amount of experience. Toxic management is never good for an organization. Short term, sure, long term, no.

Mclaren struggling a bit with the pit stops / pit lane again. Carlos got a terrible run coming out of T1 on the first lap. Watch it again and you can see him just spin up the rear tires and go nowhere. Gives some credence to George Russel's comments. I think the left side of the track + outside T1 was the place to be in the first lap. Valteri also stacked up the right side of the grid off the start line as well. I like the w-t-w racing of Norris. I think Riccardo is going to have a hard time with Lando next year, imo.

Kudos to Haas. They had nothing to lose and Grosjean, whether he wanted to be or not, set a nice pick for Mag to get away. I wish we would see more hail mary throws like that from Williams. If you're going to be at the back, at least make some risky decisions. Williams has the misfortune of being slow and being too conservative in their play calling. I predicted it would be lap 8 before the first stops, so I was a bit long on my guess based on track conditions on the warm up lap. I think the decision on Haas is a bit wonky, but again, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Better to take the chance, be penalized, and be in a position better than you would have. That should be part of the strategy playcalling as well.

e30ernest

Hoffman900 wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 02:35
Restomaniac wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:27
piast9 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:03
By the way, I've reviewed on-boards of Botas and Hamilton from the start. In Botas' car the first part of the shift indicator LED bar (which is red) lit on for few seconds before the start and then went off. That disappearing red light triggered Botas to start. He mentioned it in the interview. In Hamilton's car shift indicator was not lit.
If Bottas was looking at his rev indicator instead of the actual things he needed to be looking at (the 5 big red lights) then he’s a dumbass. It’s an excuse just as the brake glazing was an excuse last week.
Those are pretty declarative statements for someone who probably has never competed in a racing car (or motorcycle for that matter).

I've seen camera flashes cause drag racers to red light. How these guys train with the speed lights, it absolutely makes sense. You are absolutely 100% wiring your brain to react when a light goes out. In drag racing, if you're not reacting before it goes green, you're going to lose.

Brake glazing is a thing, even in cars with steel rotors and it sucks.

I am not a Bottas fanboi, but let's stick to facts. He could be making excuses, but let's be real, neither one of us have as clue, and if we did, we probably wouldn't be posting about it here.

Max did a great job today and put the laps in needed to hold Bottas off. I haven't watched the extent of how traffic played into it. Not sure if Max got better breaks in traffic or not. Valteri had the speed, but probably needed a lap, maybe two to do it. This is a bit on Valteri... just a few tenths more a lap would have gotten him there a bit sooner.

Lewis showed why he is one of the GOATs. He's the best driver (in terms of talent + experience) on the grid and in the best car. It shows.

Not a fan of Lance at all, but he's showing he at least belongs on the grid and isn't an embarrassment like other well funded drivers have been in the past. I expected more from Sergio today, and I know he is capable of more.

I thought Albon did a good job. He clearly was happier with the car today. I hope they can build off whatever they found. If RB runs him off as well, I think RB looks like damaged goods. Maybe not to anyone who just wants a shot, but anyone with any amount of experience.

Mclaren struggling a bit with the pit stops / pit lane again. Carlos got a terrible run coming out of T1 on the first lap. Watch it again and you can see him just spin up the rear tires and go nowhere. Gives some credence to George Russel's comments. I think the left side of the track + outside T1 was the place to be in the first lap. Valteri also stacked up the right side of the grid off the start line as well. I like the w-t-w racing of Norris. I think Riccardo is going to have a hard time with Lando next year, imo.

Kudos to Haas. They had nothing to lose and Grosjean, whether he wanted to be or not, set a nice pick for Mag to get away. I wish we would see more hail mary throws like that from Williams. If you're going to be at the back, at least make some risky decisions. Williams has the misfortune of being slow and being too conservative in their play calling. I predicted it would be lap 8 before the first stops, so I was a bit long on my guess based on track conditions on the warm up lap. I think the decision on Haas is a bit wonky, but again, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Better to take the chance, be penalized, and be in a position better than you would have. That should be part of the strategy playcalling as well.
Good points there.

Speaking of drag racing, I'm surprised the FIA hasn't employed a similar starting system. That would have prevented the issues from Vettel last year and Bottas for this race. IMO both should have been penalized.

Impressive form from the Mercs again though. It's amazing how far they've moved forward in relation to the competition.

PlatinumZealot

Jolle wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 01:26
Just_a_fan wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Ah. This year is nice...but 2014 car was more dominant. I really loved that year. One squeeze of the throttle and the Krakens basically teleported to the next the lap! It was literally warp speed. Lovely lovely krakens. I want that euphoria again. Now it's nice too, but it still a bit too close for comfort. Took a while for Bottas to catch Max. If Bottas was driving the Kraken he would have caught Max in three laps. People say this dominance is boring, but I love every lap of it. No more heart in throat moments and smashing of things. I can actually, at my luxury, with my pinky extended from my tea-cup, assess the little mid-field battles and strategies, the nuances of different drives tyre management, the spectacle of the cars working through turns ... Just more capacity to enjoy the race in an expanded way... This must be what Schumacher fans enjoyed in the 2000's.. It feels good to be on that side. So.. Europhoric. Bliss.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jolle

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 02:52
Jolle wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 01:26
Just_a_fan wrote:

Ah. This year is nice...but 2014 car was more dominant. I really loved that year. One squeeze of the throttle and the Krakens basically teleported to the next the lap! It was literally warp speed. Lovely lovely krakens. I want that euphoria again. Now it's nice too, but it still a bit too close for comfort. Took a while for Bottas to catch Max. If Bottas was driving the Kraken he would have caught Max in three laps. People say this dominance is boring, but I love every lap of it. No more heart in throat moments and smashing of things. I can actually, at my luxury, with my pinky lifed from my tea-cup, assess the little mid-field battles and strategies, the nuances of different drives tyre management, the spectacle of the cars working through turns ... Just more capacity to enjoy the race in an expanded way... This must be what Schumacher fans enjoyed in the 2000's.. It feels good to be on that side. So.. Europhoric. Bliss.
I meant, like in 1988 McLaren build a new car opposed to the opposition that or already converted their cars to the NA spec or just ran a slightly updated 1987 car.

2014 was more like 2009... new car, aced it... Brawn just didn't win second half because they couldn't afford development like Ferrari, McLaren and RedBull.

PlatinumZealot

Re: Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

Bottas thought the P2 was his and wanted the extra point. Focusing on the championship so much, he underestimated Max.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Nathanael F1

I was shocked that it took so many laps for Bottas to close up to Max and that he ultimately couldn't get past. Is Bottas that bad, or is Max that good, or both?

Also, what happened to Kimi Raikkonen? I thought 1/4 of the race through he was already up to ~13th and not out of sync on pit stops. I thought he might have a chance to get some points. Did he spin or have a bad pit stop? TV feed barely showed the Alfa Romeos all race.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg