FIA wants to ban qualifying modes in 2021

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dans79

Re: FIA wants to ban qualifying modes in 2021

El Scorchio wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 17:59
If it makes overtaking any harder, then it's going to be a complete disaster.
The FIA came up with this on the fly, it will probably be a complete mess!
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

dans79 wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 17:37
Big Tea wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 17:34
If you have to run the same mode in the race as in qualifying, it is by definition no longer 'qualifying mode' is it? as it is used in the race it is race mode.

From here on in I get problems following. They will be allowed to have an in/out lap mode, and an overtake button, and a 'rapid recharge' mode, and possibly others we will not go into like limp mode.

So how does a combination of inlap mode, presumably not recharging, and overtake button, presumably top engine mode, differ from 'party mode'?
From what little detail I can find it basically sounds like ice parameters cannot be changed. Thus, in out an overtake will probably just be changes to the electrical Modes.
Seems like, but if they will run the engine harder anyway, it probably will not me that much of a drop.

We will have some more idea after this weekend
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

search

this will come into effect tomorrow, right?! Or can they change the engine mode after practice again?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

search wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 18:46
this will come into effect tomorrow, right?! Or can they change the engine mode after practice again?
I think it's like parc ferme - it comes in to play as soon as qualifying starts. From driving on to the track in Q1 until the flag drops at the end of the race, the "one mode to rule them all" (*) rule applies.

(* - with apologies to Tolkien fans)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

henry

search wrote:
In practice they can vary the settings seeking out the one they will deploy from qualification on. Just like any other setup change.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

piast9
piast9

El Scorchio wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 17:59

If it makes overtaking any harder, then it's going to be a complete disaster.
The same modes may be used to defend overtaking. I am not that pessimistic in rules change influenceon the overtaking.

On the other hand if the driver would not be able to turn down the engine when he doesn't need all the power, which is in my opinion the case when driver leads or the gaps to drivers in front and behind are too big, then I suspect more reliability issues which would mix things a bit and add some uncertainty.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 18:48
search wrote:
"one mode to rule them all" (*) rule applies.

It's ok it has a nice ring to it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

search

henry wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 18:49
search wrote:
In practice they can vary the settings seeking out the one they will deploy from qualification on. Just like any other setup change.
thanks, makes sense, also because on Friday often a completely different engine is used.

I still struggle to see how it's going to work when engine-age varies though. If, for example, Williams goes to Abu Dhabi with a 5 race old engine, while Mercedes brings a new one, both will need to use the same mode - and it will probably be an aggressive one, as it's benefits the works team. That doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

At the moment (until anyone brings engine 3) it can vary, and I also see no real reason to stop that.

siskue2005

search wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 20:22
henry wrote:
search wrote:
thanks, makes sense, also because on Friday often a completely different engine is used.

I still struggle to see how it's going to work when engine-age varies though. If, for example, Williams goes to Abu Dhabi with a 5 race old engine, while Mercedes brings a new one, both will need to use the same mode - and it will probably be an aggressive one, as it's benefits the works team. That doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

At the moment (until anyone brings engine 3) it can vary, and I also see no real reason to stop that.
All teams can use different modes etc. The mode is for a team not an engine manufacturer.

search

siskue2005 wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 20:41
search wrote:
henry wrote:

All teams can use different modes etc. The mode is for a team not an engine manufacturer.
okay, then the AMuS article about it was wrong, it clearly stated "On from the third engine per season, all engines of one manufacturer need to be run in the same mode"

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... direktive/

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 19:50
Just_a_fan wrote:
search wrote:

:lol: :lol: =D> =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 21:25
Big Tea wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 19:50
Just_a_fan wrote:

:lol: :lol: =D> =D>
Real precious! :D

siskue2005

search wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 20:49
siskue2005 wrote:
search wrote:

okay, then the AMuS article about it was wrong, it clearly stated "On from the third engine per season, all engines of one manufacturer need to be run in the same mode"

Seems like meaning lost in translation.

Wouter

siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 08:43
search wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

What do you mean @Siskue? It was also on English sites.
"From the third engine per season, all engines of one manufacturer need to be run in the same mode"
The Power of Dreams!

siskue2005

Wouter wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 08:52
siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 08:43
search wrote:

What do you mean @Siskue? It was also on English sites.
"From the third engine per season, all engines of one manufacturer need to be run in the same mode"
Ok, i had seen it only on other languages
could you please share it in english

If true, then it is stupid really