2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello, September 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nevill3

Re: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello, September 11 - 13

matt_b wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 19:52
nevill3 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 19:48
So three drivers summoned to the stewards, Kyvat included. The race result is not finalized yet.
Why miss out the other two? Nicholas Latifi and Kevin Magnussen
I only mentioned Kyvat because he was in the points, any time penalty could see other drivers gaining positions. The other drivers were out of the race. My comment was to let people know that the final result is not in yet
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Schuttelberg

I have no doubt in my mind Ferrari could have finished 7th with Leclerc and 9th with Vettel. It is mind numbing why they put Charles on H and then boxed him for M when they did and they put Seb on H knowing fully well that George was going to take the hards. What did he have to lose putting on mediums?

Just brainless stuff! Brainless! If an Alfa is finishing ahead of both their cars penalty corrected, it is mind numbing. OK, you can make a crap car in a year but this car has got worse since the season began. It's beyond the understanding of us fans, their engineers have been clueless for a while and it seems as if the drivers have also become fed up so much so that they don't care what strategy they're on. Can't blame them!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Schuttelberg

MtthsMlw wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:22
Two spectacles in a row to make up for Sochi
Bottas will win there and peeps will behave like he's Prost to Lewis' Senna.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

e30ernest

Wow crazy race.... Really happy to see Albon finally get a podium. I was behind Ricciardo but when Stroll crashed out, and Albon had a chance at a podium, I was firmly rooting for him. I really think he needed that podium both as a confidence booster and to help him secure his spot at Red Bull.

Bottas looked spent there. He simply had no answer after the restarts. I do think Merc set him off the alternate strategy and maybe Hamilton made the call to take the same tires? I don't have F1 TV so I have no radio access.

Speaking of restarts, setting the restart at the start/finish line turned out to be pretty dangerous IMO. Maybe it would be better to revert that back to the SC line. Usually these aren't on straights, so there is less likelihood you'd get huge speed differentials.

Kudos to Hamilton for mentioning Breonna Taylor. Before tonight, I did not know who she was (because I am not American). Now I know who she is so at the very least, Hamilton has raised awareness, which is a good thing.

nevill3

The Stewards, having received a report from the Race Director, summoned (documents 40, 41, 44)
and heard from the driver of car 20, 26, 6 and team representatives, have considered the following
matter and determine the following:
Time 15:28
Session Race
Fact Race restart incident.
Decision Car Driver Competitor
1 20 Kevin Magnussen Haas F1 Team
2 26 Daniil Kvyat Scuderia Alpha Taur
3 6 Nicholas Latifi Williams Racing
4 23 Alexander Albon Aston Martin Red Bull Racing
5 18 Lance Stroll BWT Racing Point F1 Team
6 3 Daniel Ricciardo Renault DP World F1 Team
7 11 Sergio Perez BWT Racing Point F1 Team
8 4 Lando Norris McLaren F1 Team
9 31 Esteban Ocon Renault DP World F1 Team
10 63 George Russell Williams Racing
11 99 Antonio Giovinazzi Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN
12 55 Carlos Sainz McLaren F1 Team
Offence Breach of Article 39.13 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.
Decision A warning is issued to the drivers listed.
All of the above receive a warning it looks like the result will stand as it finished (except Kimi)
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Scorpaguy

This race proves to me that the edges of tracks need to rumble strips, then grass or gravel. Run offs have greatly reduced driver precision. If you cannot keep it on the asphalt, you do not deserve to finish.

Just_a_fan

MtthsMlw wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 17:37
Monza 1 red flag.
Mugello 2 red flags.
Imola...?
I remember the last time we had "three" there. It was a bad weekend. Fingers crossed for a quiet race. [-o<
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zeph

So after all the crashes, excitement, and restarts...

...Mercedes 1-2.

hollus

Well, Bottas fell to third and then managed to pass Ricciardo without DRS. They have so much extra pace that they sort 1st and 2nd unless a Red Bull can mess up with them somehow. That’s here to stay for a while, whether we like it or not.
Rivals, not enemies.

search

Schuttelberg wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 20:03
I have no doubt in my mind Ferrari could have finished 7th with Leclerc and 9th with Vettel. It is mind numbing why they put Charles on H and then boxed him for M when they did and they put Seb on H knowing fully well that George was going to take the hards. What did he have to lose putting on mediums?
nothing, I guess, but they just didn't have any new mediums left - only a set of 7 lap olds Vettel had used at the beginning of the race already. So they went for new hards instead

zeph

hollus wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 20:50
Well, Bottas fell to third and then managed to pass Ricciardo without DRS. They have so much extra pace that they sort 1st and 2nd unless a Red Bull can mess up with them somehow. That’s here to stay for a while, whether we like it or not.
Oh yeh, this is not going to change anytime soon. Mercedes owns the game. I don't begrudge them their success, au contraire, and hope they'll stick around as long as Ferrari.

Hope the rest of the field will catch up to them a little more, though.

Edax

Racer X wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:04
Lance claims he got a puncture but who knows maybe he did it happeed so fast. It's a shame all those car upgrades ended up in the barriers...
I would say that the pieces of rubber flying past his helmet at the moment the car broke loose are pretty convincing evidence that this was indeed the case.

Never mind the upgrades, glad he walked away OK. It is amazing how safe these cars have become.

cooken

Indeed fortunate he walked away, the gravel and barrier were effective thankfully.

The safety car restart on the other hand...that was a miracle. Stupid stupid stupid.

i70q7m7ghw

The accident at the safety car restart is just another failure of race director Michael Masi, and blaming drivers for "inconsistent application of throttle and brake" is just ridiculous, there's nothing in the rules that sets out how the throttle and the brake must be applied during a safety car restart.

Read this article to understand the changes that have been made to the safety car procedure this year, and how drivers had voiced concerns prior to todays race: https://the-race.com/formula-1/top-f1-d ... art-crash/

There will be a fatality soon if Michael Masi keeps putting "the show" before the safety of the drivers.

SmallSoldier

Schuttelberg wrote:I have no doubt in my mind Ferrari could have finished 7th with Leclerc and 9th with Vettel. It is mind numbing why they put Charles on H and then boxed him for M when they did and they put Seb on H knowing fully well that George was going to take the hards. What did he have to lose putting on mediums?

Just brainless stuff! Brainless! If an Alfa is finishing ahead of both their cars penalty corrected, it is mind numbing. OK, you can make a crap car in a year but this car has got worse since the season began. It's beyond the understanding of us fans, their engineers have been clueless for a while and it seems as if the drivers have also become fed up so much so that they don't care what strategy they're on. Can't blame them!
It’s not that the car is getting worse... The others are getting better... When was the last upgrade brought by Ferrari? It would make sense to not use resources on upgrading this current concept and focus everything on the one for 2021. If this is the case, I would expect to bring the new concept to Sochi since it would be their last opportunity to homologate parts that can’t be upgraded for next season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk