Honda leaving F1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Nonserviam85

Re: Honda leaving F1.

Time for Mugen to save the day (again) :P

Cuky

Cuky wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 10:34
DChemTech wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 10:30
Restomaniac wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 10:20
Looking at it. It’s going to be a situation where Renault are forced to supply. However you can be certain RedBull will just get given the engines with no input allowed.
Thing is then, why would Renault be forced? Why not one of the other suppliers? All three have their own factory team, so all three should be equally be able to choose who they deliver to, or be equally restricted in that choice.
Easy: others already have their capacities full with teams they supply.
Mercedes: works team, Williams, Aston Martin, McLaren
Ferrari: works team, Alfa Romeo, Haas
Renault: works team
Just to add up to my quoted post, apparently there is appendix in Sporting Regulations which ensures that the PU manufacturer with least number of customer teams has to supply PUs to the team that has found itself with no PU for their cars
Under appendix nine of the F1 sporting regulations the power unit manufacturer which has the fewest customers must be prepared to supply a team which has no engines if called upon to do so. If Red Bull don’t have a deal in place by June 1st next year, the FIA could therefore find itself in the extraordinary position of presiding over a shotgun re-marriage between Red Bull and Renault.
https://www.racefans.net/2020/10/02/cou ... erstappen/

Big Tea

Nonserviam85 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 14:52
Time for Mugen to save the day (again) :P
Thats the name i was trying to think of :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

i70q7m7ghw

I think it's safe to assume Red Bull will end up with a Renault engine, Ferrari/Merc will not want to supply such a director competitor and are not obliged to. The only alternative is to lure another supplier in to the sport which is also unlikely.

It's a bit of a shame the engine manufacturers don't seem to be required to sign the concorde agreement and commit to the sport long term.

toraabe

The Renault engine is now really good and bullet proof. Not a bad choice to go back

the EDGE

I find this bazar because from the end of 2022 engines were due to be frozen so there will be no real cost other than manufacture & running which I would have thought Red bull & AT would have paid for

Does this mean that Honda will cease upgrading from now? the rules permit an upgrade over the winter breaks of both 2020 & 2021

Xwang

Seems that Verstappen is starting to train to perform like Fred Flintstones in the image at the beginning of this wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flint ... lintstones

Xwang

the EDGE wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:24
I find this bazar because from the end of 2022 engines were due to be frozen so there will be no real cost other than manufacture & running which I would have thought Red bull & AT would have paid for
Maybe Honda does not see any reason to be in a frozen engine formula when a competitor still has a big advantage and no PU parity has been achieved.

TAG

The Donald has Corona and Honda is leaving F1. They come in threes they say, walking on eggshells the rest of the day.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TAG

santos wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 10:31
Took them so many time, money and reputation to make an engine reliable and competitive... when they achive that, they want to leave...
Nico Rosberg?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

El Scorchio

toraabe wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:08
The Renault engine is now really good and bullet proof. Not a bad choice to go back
They are very lucky if Renault is compelled to supply them, given the way RBR threw them under the bus last time after their winning partnership came to an end. If I was Renault I'd try and seek any avenue to avoid having to do so.

nzjrs

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:36
toraabe wrote:
They are very lucky if Renault is compelled to supply them, given the way RBR threw them under the bus last time after their winning partnership came to an end. If I was Renault I'd try and seek any avenue to avoid having to do so.
I think RBR would see it as unlucky if Renault are compelled to supply them! If anything it might be strategically smarter for RBR to play to this stereotype and try to get FIA to mandate Mercedes supply them.

El Scorchio

nzjrs wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:40
El Scorchio wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:36
toraabe wrote:
I think RBR would see it as unlucky if Renault are compelled to supply them! If anything it might be strategically smarter for RBR to play to this stereotype and try to get FIA to mandate Mercedes supply them.
Well, it's an interesting one isn't it! Mercedes and Ferrari are under absolutely no obligation and would obviously fight anything the FIA tried to impose on them which there is probably no grounds for anyway. Merc aren't going to do their biggest competitor any favours even if it means them disapperaing and Renault are clearly going to do the least possible they are obligated to in any future relationship. If RBR somehow find themselves without an engine supplier they only have themselves to blame.

rogazilla

Xwang wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:29
the EDGE wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:24
Maybe Honda does not see any reason to be in a frozen engine formula when a competitor still has a big advantage and no PU parity has been achieved.
I think this is probably a bigger reason for Honda to leave. Ferrari and Merc uses F1 as marketing but Honda traditionally uses F1 to train their engineers. In a frozen state, there is no more innovation and probably less attractive to Honda even though it would probably cost less. On the other hand, you can say once frozen, if you are not on top, then it is not attractive from a PR perspective either, no reason to keep playing.

JordanMugen

jjn9128 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:10
To answer why Renault will be compelled to supply Red Bull and Alpha Tauri under the current allocation if called to do so.
What's the penalty for non-compliance should Renault not wish to supply the units?

Nevermind I found it, it would be exclusion of Renault power units from the World Championship.
b) No power unit may be used in a given Championship season unless the Power Unit Manufacturer
supplying such power unit accepts and adheres to the following conditions:
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 6-19_0.pdf
Last edited by JordanMugen on 02 Oct 2020, 16:05, edited 2 times in total.