2020 Eifel Grand Prix - Nürburgring, October 9-11

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2020 Eifel Grand Prix - Nürburgring, October 9-11

godlameroso wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 01:31
Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 23:31
godlameroso wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 19:13

Sector 3 is basically a chicane, and a painfully long and slow corner. Mark my words, Verstappen will smash sector 3 because of the tricks he knows regarding the chicane. The chicane exit has a dip in the road, and if you know the secret to that chicane vs someone who doesn't you can easily gain as much as .4 on that corner alone.
Is Max the only one who knows this trick? Others have raced at the circuit so maybe others also know how to maximise the time available.
Others know the track, and the details of that corner, but the trick is intuitive, and we've seen that the RB16 rides the bumps better than other cars. These two factors combined will see Verstappen nail that chicane. It's not enough to minimize tire slip on exit, there's a certain way to straight line it but it requires riding the kerbs in a certain way. Verstappen is the only one I've seen ride the kerbs in the 'correct' way consistently this year. Watch his Sochi Q3 onboard.
Can you explain what you mean by this dip? I honestly can't see one driver being 4 tenths faster than everyone else through 40 metres of track simply because they know some track clickbait.

This one little trick saved me almost half a second, I couldn't believe it!
Insert thumbnail of wide open mouth Max looking shocked
Felipe Baby!

El Scorchio

SiLo wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 11:56
godlameroso wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Is Max the only one who knows this trick? Others have raced at the circuit so maybe others also know how to maximise the time available.
Others know the track, and the details of that corner, but the trick is intuitive, and we've seen that the RB16 rides the bumps better than other cars. These two factors combined will see Verstappen nail that chicane. It's not enough to minimize tire slip on exit, there's a certain way to straight line it but it requires riding the kerbs in a certain way. Verstappen is the only one I've seen ride the kerbs in the 'correct' way consistently this year. Watch his Sochi Q3 onboard.
Can you explain what you mean by this dip? I honestly can't see one driver being 4 tenths faster than everyone else through 40 metres of track simply because they know some track clickbait.

Hahahaha!

'Residents of the Nürburgring are saving THIS much on laptimes.'
'He couldn't understand why everyone was staring.'

In all seriousness there's no 'trick' that only one driver will know and or be able to execute and make them .4 of a second faster through one corner. I hope it's competitive though and a bit more watchable than Sochi.

Note to stewards- please don't decide the result of the race before it begins again please.

Mchamilton

if we get any racing like this it'll be a good one

Just_a_fan

Mchamilton wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 14:54

if we get any racing like this it'll be a good one
Cor, Petrov was just fast enough to be annoying wasn't he?

Some nice moves by Michael. Good awareness by most of the drivers, too.

Yes, a race like that would be a good thing, wouldn't it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

SiLo wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

I said it's worth up to .4 not that Verstappen would have a .4 advantage on that corner alone. The 'up to' is the important part, which is the difference between getting it just right and a little wrong. Because it's such a precision corner, and because of how you need to ride the kerbs he will have a small advantage there.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Diesel wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Too bad you've just told everyone about his "secret" :lol:
Did I? I just point out Verstappen will be fast there, I didn't say how exactly, and just because it's a trick doesn't automatically mean everyone else can do it.

The chicane requires very heavy braking, you're going slightly uphill, but on the first apex the road begins leveling, in essence launching the car in the air, and the exit of the second one has a slight curve to the right and is slightly off camber. Also on corner exit there's a small dip ~2mm, everything that could exist to unstable the car through the chicane is there, so it takes an incredible amount of precision to nail it.
Saishū kōnā

i70q7m7ghw

godlameroso wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 16:19
Did I? I just point out Verstappen will be fast there, I didn't say how exactly, and just because it's a trick doesn't automatically mean everyone else can do it.

The chicane requires very heavy braking, you're going slightly uphill, but on the first apex the road begins leveling, in essence launching the car in the air, and the exit of the second one has a slight curve to the right and is slightly off camber. Also on corner exit there's a small dip ~2mm, everything that could exist to unstable the car through the chicane is there, so it takes an incredible amount of precision to nail it.
godlameroso: I didn't reveal his secret

godlameroso: But here's the secret...

:lol:

SiLo

Diesel wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 16:34
godlameroso wrote:

godlameroso: I didn't reveal his secret

godlameroso: But here's the secret...

:lol:
How does he know there is a 2mm dip? :?:
Felipe Baby!

Mchamilton

godlameroso wrote:
Diesel wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

have you laser scanned the track youself or something?

SiLo

Mchamilton wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 17:10
godlameroso wrote:
Diesel wrote:

have you laser scanned the track youself or something?
talking out your arse i reckon
You can check out Hamiltons 2011 front row lap for how to nail that last sector.
Felipe Baby!

NathanOlder

Not sure if its been pointed out before , but I have just noticed a fun fact in the points standings.

Bottas is 44pts behind Lewis.
Bottas is 33pts ahead of Max.
Lewis is 77pts ahead of Max.

What a trio :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

hollus

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 17:22
Bottas is 44pts behind Lewis.
Bottas is 33pts ahead of Max.
Lewis is 77pts ahead of Max.
OOOOOOOOOOO
MMMMMMMMMM
GGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!
Rivals, not enemies.

dtro

Pole in the high 1.23s low 1.24s?

To take a second away from the who has the best laser scanned Nurburgring on their computer thing...

Mogster

dtro wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 17:30

To take a second away from the who has the best laser scanned Nurburgring on their computer thing...
Depends if the bump in the last sector is modelled correctly... :D

godlameroso

dtro wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 17:30

High to mid 24's about 5 seconds faster than the last time they were here.

Merc race pace starting in the 32s.
Saishū kōnā